Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cassius has dry itchy skin

kigndano
August 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
what can i do to help his skin out?

he has been to the vet, and she found no fleas on him.

she gave me an antibiotic because i had said he had been swimming in a local river that is notorious for all kinds of stuff this time of year. also she gave me oil capsules (the name and oils escape me at the moment, i will check later) but they smell terrible!

i have to soak them into a piece of bread by snipping the tops off and then cash half heartedly eats it...plus my hands smell like :censored: afterwards, so im not such a fan of them at the moment.

if anyone has any tips for getting a dog to take large pills or for dry skin help please throw me some advice.

Winston
August 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
WHat about getting hime some of the liquid herring oil. That should help a bit. Is his coat dry ? or just dry skin..

Has anything changed recently that could have caused a reaction? new soap used for bedding, new food, ?

In the past when Winston was on crappy food he woudl get the itchies. The vet told me to give him benedryl a few times to east the discomfort of itching!

Cindy

Pit Bull Love
August 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
My girls Venus and Nyx were very prone to dry skin if they were on the wrong food. I had to play around a bit to find something that they did well on. I buy liquid salmon oil at our pet store. It's in a pump bottle so you just give it a pump or two depending on the dogs weight right on their meal. :thumbs up

allymack
August 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
When Enzo had dry skin as a puppy i would put a little extra virgin olvie oil on it, only a little bit though. Its really good for their skin plus is makes their coats all shiny. Also once or twice a week he would get a cooked egg yolk ( i dont eat the yolk, only the white part :o) so i would cook that up for him, it is also very good for their skin and coat!:dog:

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM
so i will pick up some extra eggs and try to find some salmon oil (im a guy, so i have no idea where the hell you buy salmon oil....natural foods store????)

benadryl??? really?

how did you give it to the dog?

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
the vet told me his coat was a little greasy when we went, so i bathed him with some shampoo she gave me (i hadnt bathed him in over a year..no doggie smell so i didnt see the need for it i guess)

original reason for the visit was a spot on his tail where the hair had become dry and brittle, vet said it may have been irritated from swimming and not drying completely, or from bacteria in the water. she said it looked like a hot spot that was about to flare up.

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
kingdano...benedryl yes used for allergic reactions...bee bites, itchies etc..it was pill form....open up the mouth and dropped it in....

as for the eggs and oil...maybe try one or the other first..since you say cassious has greasy coat you may want to just try 1.

the herrring oil i got at the pet store...it was about 15.oo for the bottle but it lasts awhile! i just squirt it on his food...

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
ok

i will try some benadryl pills first, since his coat wasnt dry according to the vet.

he may be allergic to canidae???

good lord, i hope not. he actually eats every day now.

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
kingdano...I should have made it clearer sorry..I was going to say only use the bendadryl if he is really scratching and uncomfortable...

did he ever have this before the canadie? cause I would be willing to bet if he wasnt like this before its the food??

sorry if i was confusing!

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
um

i mean he used to itch and stuff, but i have noticed it more lately.

maybe i should switch foods?:shrug:

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Unless he is itching like crazy I would be willing to bet it is his food. Is it a chicken based food? alot of dogs have chicken issues?

Canadie ?? what kind?

Gail P
August 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Friends of mine have an old newfoundland dog that has had skin problems his whole life. They've tried many different foods, supplements etc. and he's seen the vet about it many times. Right now he's better than he ever has been, eating Nutro Natural Choice large breed lamb & rice, and on a supplement called Dr. Goodpet Scratch Free that they get in the pet department at Wal-Mart. It's a bottle with a dropper and they just add a few drops to the food. They said they were skeptical about the drops but figured it was worth a shot since nothing else had helped much and within a matter of days he was feeling better. When I first saw this dog he had very dry, thin patchy hair with almost bald areas where the skin looked irritated. Now he's got a thick luxurious coat on him that's nice and fluffy and shiny. They said that Dr. Goodpet has a website so if you want to do a search you could probably find it.

I have my dogs all eating Nutro Natural Choice large breed chicken and rice and they have beautiful coats. Very shiny and soft and no skin problems. Nutro has a money-back guarantee that their products will improve skin and coat quality.

As for taking pills, there are a couple of things you could try. You could stuff them inside a piece of hot dog or squished up bread, unless he would nibble at it and get the pill out. Or, just tip his head way up and pop the pill down in the back of his throat. Keep his head tilted up and mouth closed and stroke his neck. Usually once a dog licks their nose they've swallowed the pill.

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It's canidae lamb Winston.

and Gail i will def search for that if regular oil doesn't help.
(im kinda strapped for cash at this point in time so if oil i buy for cooking will work i have to try it)

great call on the hot dog too!

never even thought of it.

thanks guys:thumbs up

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Winston didnt do well on the lamb either...When things are better money wise I would look at a fish formula or even a duck formula and see if you notice a diff....Can you buy Orijen where you live?

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
No Orijen

Canidae and Innova yes.

Do they make a fish formula?

I am about 1/2way through the Canidae bag, so when he is done i will look for some Innova fish forumla.

Any other suggestions for food?

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I'm a bit busy at work right now but I will check some stuff out for you tonight and post it...

Cindy

Winston
August 11th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Kingdano...have you ever had Cassious on a higher meat based food? if so how did he do on it?

I prefer to choose a quality of dog food that is high in meat content and no grain. So having said that the Canidae isnt really a favorite..I am not by any means saying your feeding the wrong dood either! cause each pup is different! I found with my guy after all the years of various foods and vet foods that by changing a couple things it worked for me! here is what I can say:

1) higher meat...they are used to this in the wild
2) no grains..alot of dogs have issues with corn, wheat, rice etc
3) no by products..my preference since you dont know whats in them anyway!
4) by choosing Orijen (high meat content) it solved Winstons issues

He used to scratch and itch and we didnt know if it was inside or outide sources! I changed everything in the house...I used medication from the vets various times for sores he would break out in on his tummy...Antibiotics were always a temp solution.

Now his poops are PERFECT!! (they dont even stick to the grass!:laughing:)
He has no more rash and hasnt since the switch. His coat is good...he likes the food....so all in all I like it.

Now it looks like the Wellness & Wellness Core are similiar. I checked there site and they sell it in your area but I dont know what stores you go to.

Check it out here:
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_index.html

P.S Dog food is an education in itself! it has taken me many months and lots of reading and its still confusing!

What do you think! so to be so long winded

kigndano
August 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
i had him on innova/evo red meat large bites and he had the runs non-stop.

i will look into the wellness though