Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old SharPei

sharpeimom
July 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I have a 14 year old SharPei that has been with our family since he was a puppy. About a year ago, we decided to get a new puppy because we figured the old SharPei could 'teach' the new puppy before he got too old. The puppy had pinworms, so we gave him a dose of piperazine in milk. I didn't realize it until it was already done, but the SharPei drank the milk/piperazine instead of the puppy. By the next day, the SharPei was staggering and acting like he was drunk. He couldn't walk a straight line. I took him to the vet and the vet suspected anti-freeze poisoning so took some blood for testing. He was also given antibiotics for his ears in case it was in infection in his ears. Well, the tests came back that he might have liver failure. But, within 3 days he was totally back to normal. I mentioned to the vet about the Piperazine, but he didn't think that the medicine would do that. On the two-week follow up treatment for the puppy, the SharPei again stole the medicine (I thought I had put it where he wouldn't get it, but it's a long story how he got it), and again he had the same reaction and again he was well in 3 days.
That's not really my question though, but I thought I would give a little background information.....
My question is that sometimes the SharPei has little 'bouts' where his head is uncontrollable shaking up and down. It looks like he's sniffing the air, but he's not. It lasts for less than 5 minutes and he acts fine afterward. I would assume if it was a small stroke that he would not act fine afterward? He would be disorientated? It looks like a seizure of sorts but only affects his head. What could it be?

SharPeiMom

Lucky Rescue
July 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
14 is very old. If it's seizures, your vet could best advise on that and on appropriate medication, depending on how far you want to go with a dog that age.
Is he eating and drinking normally, and seeming to have a good quality of life?

sharpeimom
July 13th, 2004, 10:45 PM
yes, otherwise he is active and healthy (the pup helps with the active part!) and eats/drinks normally. It's only once a week or so he has these 'bouts'.

Lucky Rescue
July 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM
If that's his only problem, at 14, he is doing great!! If he's happy and healthy, you may opt to do nothing, but it's really up to you. A vet visit may ease your mind, and there may be an easy fix for his problem!:)

sharpeimom
July 14th, 2004, 12:18 AM
thanks :) The vet did mention he was surprised that a SharPei had made it that long and with so few health issues during his life :) And no skin problems to speak of (which I guess is super common with them) I guess I will not worry so much and love him while he is with us. We just hope when the time comes it will be quick for him.

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Yes, shar peis often have skin and eye problems, among others! You'll know when it's time - when he no longer gets any pleasure from life.

Give your ol' guy a hug from us!:) He's a lucky boy!