Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Montreal borough threatens Pit Bull Ban--again!

pitgrrl
August 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I guess it's round 2 in less than a year......:wall:

Dog attack raises talk of ban- Montreal Gazette (http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=50d8e670-25ed-441e-905a-7bb6c9e9f2d8)

chico2
August 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Pitgirrl,yeah it takes irresponsible owners like that to bring on BSL:yell:
She was in heat,running lose,what's the problem with these moron owners:yell:

Pit Bull Love
August 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
:wall: You know, most of the issues with dogs would be easily solved by MASSIVE fines for at large dogs. KEEP YOUR DOGS CONFINED PROPERLY PEOPLE! Seriously makes me want to loose my mind!:frustrated: Like come on! How difficult is it to put a damn leash on your dog?!

pitgrrl
August 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Like come on! How difficult is it to put a damn leash on your dog?!

Apparently here in good ol' Montreal it's virtually impossible......oh, and cruel and unusual punishment.:rolleyes:

Pit Bull Love
August 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes: Sounds like Commercial Drive here in Vancouver. Everyone has their dogs off leash and it's a huge, busy city with mass amounts of traffic. Drives me up the wall. Actually one of the main reasons I moved out of Vancouver.

t.pettet
August 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
2 idiotic, inexperienced, irresponsible owners with a powerful breed who has already bitten before and is presently loose and in heat. Surprised there were not more casualties and the poor dog (Sugar) has to pay with her life. Nice!

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
"When I saw blood and I heard the dog attacked a person, I thought, 'You did it this time.' I turned my back."

:wall: No, you did it this time, you stupid :censored: jerk :yell:!!!

Why are these stupid morons not heavily fined by the city :mad:? You'd think it'd welcome the extra $$ :frustrated:. They should be criminally charged! The boroughs make ppl pay 3$ an hour to park on the street but lets idiots like these get away with hurting innocent ppl and dogs without even a slap on the wrist :wall: .

Legislation to prohibit specific breeds is pointless, Devine said, as people who breed pit bulls for aggressiveness will just choose another strong dog, like a Rottweiler or a mastiff, and get the same results.

"It's not the dog, it's the owners," she said.

Instead of banning certain breeds of dogs outright, Devine said, the city should prohibit certain types of people from owning strong, powerful dogs.

People should be screened and get a licence before owning such pets, she suggested.

It's about time the media quotes an intelligent response to such a story. The title of the article should have read, "Moron Dog Owners Responsible For Attack."

Frenchy
August 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I can't believe this jerk turned his back instead of helping this poor man !!! :wall:

Both owners should get jail time , and never ever having the right to own another dog.

I do love what Alanna Devine had to say. I'm hoping this will help. :fingerscr

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
And I can't believe a neighbor thought to step in and hold the dog until the police arrived. Something the cowardly idiots who owned this unfortunate dog couldn't do. What the hell was stopping them from intervening :mad:?

Frenchy
August 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
What the hell was stopping them from intervening :mad:?

Lack of brains LP , lack of brains. :mad: just like letting a female dog in heat unleashed in a park ... "playing" with a male dog :wall:

Frenchy
August 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
And now that I think about it , isn't there a law about if you don't help someone in danger you could get charge with something ?

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I just don't get it. If I put a sharp knife in my potentially aggressive child's hand, and sent him off to the park to play and he hurt someone, does he get punished and I get to 'walk away' from it?

Omg, I'm livid at the stupidity of this all :mad:.

pitgrrl
August 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I looooooooooooved this part:
Tremblay said the city can't be held responsible for not knowing everything that goes on in a borough of more than 164,000 people. "It's impossible," he said.

Well then how in dog's name will a breed ban be effective/enforceable?

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well then how in dog's name will a breed ban be effective/enforceable?

Oh, that'll be easy. When officials go door-to-door prostituting themselves during election time, they'll note who owns Pitbulls...and Labs...and Boxers...and Bulldogs...and....whatever dogs may bare resemblance :rolleyes:.

Love4himies
August 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM
"Nitti's son-in-law, Ray Iturbe, added: "We have bills for the vet, we have bills for medication. ... We're going to look at legal counsel to go after the city because we feel they're responsible for not acting. ... This could have been avoided." Tremblay said the city can't be held responsible for not knowing everything that goes on in a borough of more than 164,000 people. "It's impossible," he said."

I agree, city can't be responsible for everything. I think the owners should be responsible, but no doubt they don't have deep pockets like the city does.

OMG I take it they were trying to breed Sugar:mad:: :wall:

"The couple, who refused to reveal their names, said their dog, named Sugar, had never attacked humans before and "it wasn't in her character." The man said Sugar was in heat and had just finished playing with another male dog before running across the street to the park."

pitgrrl
August 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
"Nitti's son-in-law, Ray Iturbe, added: "We have bills for the vet, we have bills for medication. ... We're going to look at legal counsel to go after the city because we feel they're responsible for not acting. ... This could have been avoided." Tremblay said the city can't be held responsible for not knowing everything that goes on in a borough of more than 164,000 people. "It's impossible," he said."

I agree, city can't be responsible for everything. I think the owners should be responsible, but no doubt they don't have deep pockets like the city does.

It's totally true that ultimately the owners are responsible, but Montreal seems to have an aversion to enforcing leash laws. So many of these terrible incidents could be avoided if there wasn't such a deeply entrenched culture of off-leash-ism (haha-making up words....).

It just about makes me want to put my head through a window when people start getting whipped into a hysterical frenzy, demanding insane, unenforceable new laws when simply enforcing existing by laws would solve so many problems. It makes so little sense (except in that backwards play to irrational fears to make it look like you're doing something kind of way) to keep adding legislation that doesn't address the real issue and won't be enforced if the current situation is any indication.

Arrrgh, okay, my morning rant is over :yell:

Love4himies
August 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
It's totally true that ultimately the owners are responsible, but Montreal seems to have an aversion to enforcing leash laws. So many of these terrible incidents could be avoided if there wasn't such a deeply entrenched culture of off-leash-ism (haha-making up words....).

It just about makes me want to put my head through a window when people start getting whipped into a hysterical frenzy, demanding insane, unenforceable new laws when simply enforcing existing by laws would solve so many problems. It makes so little sense (except in that backwards play to irrational fears to make it look like you're doing something kind of way) to keep adding legislation that doesn't address the real issue and won't be enforced if the current situation is any indication.

Arrrgh, okay, my morning rant is over :yell:

The only way the gov't knows how to fix things is by implenting new taxes and making laws.:rolleyes::frustrated:, not coming up with real solutions. Banning pitbulls will not eliminate stupid owners.