Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'Drug raid' with two dog casualties

SolaMio
August 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
This is a really strange story: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/maryland.mayor/index.html

So sad for both the owners and their dogs :candle:

14+kitties
August 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I watched him on the news last night saying the cops killed his dogs when they weren't even in the same room as they were. It just sounds really weird. 32 lbs of weed showing up on his front porch and he sets it aside? Very strange. Poor dogs.. :rip:

Pit Bull Love
August 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
How said. Stuff like this goes on more than people realise. Just a couple weeks ago here the cops showed up for a dropped call at a basement suite. When no one answered they went around to the yard, open the gate, and shot the neighbours pit bull mastiff mix with the owner standing right there. They were completely unapologetic about it as well basically acting like the dog deserved it when he was doing nothing but playing in his yard with his family. :sad:

hazelrunpack
August 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I watched him on the news last night saying the cops killed his dogs when they weren't even in the same room as they were. It just sounds really weird. 32 lbs of weed showing up on his front porch and he sets it aside? Very strange. Poor dogs.. :rip:

Couldn't open the CNN link, but as I understood it when they covered the story this morning, the drug ring would pic different addresses basically at random, have the drugs delivered, then pick them up from the front porch before the owners of the home even knew they was there. Not sure what they'd do if, as in this case, the drugs made it inside the house.

And even more puzzling, I also heard that it was an undercover agent that delivered the drugs...and they made the 'bust' when the package was taken inside.

So they set up an innocent person on the basis of the ring's use of their address, broke in, shot the dogs :sad:, cuffed the family and basically just traumatized everyone in the house and neighborhood. I'm hoping that because it was an elected official that was targeted, heads will roll. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
That's disgusting. Just because they are cops doesn't mean they should not be held accountable for animal cruelty. They had no business shooting those dogs for no reason.

kathryn
August 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I read about this before. It's completely ridiculous and not the first time police have busted doors down over completely outrageous drug busts where the people have never even done drugs to begin with, let alone been in a ring of drug dealers.

I hope no one ever busts my door down and decides to just shoot my cats because they think I might have possibly something maybe to do with pot (which I don't).
:rip::dog:

Frenchy
August 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
So they set up an innocent person on the basis of the ring's use of their address, broke in, shot the dogs :sad:, cuffed the family and basically just traumatized everyone in the house and neighborhood.

This is :censored: sick ! They should put the same effort for tracking rapists and other criminals ... I know it's important to them to get the drugs under control but come on , this was only weed. :wall:

SolaMio
August 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
This is :censored: sick ! They should put the same effort for tracking rapists and other criminals ... I know it's important to them to get the drugs under control but come on , this was only weed. :wall:

I hear you, Frenchy. This seems like such a rampant violation of rights on so many levels, destruction of "property", intrusion into these people's private lives and homes, and of course violence towards the animals in question. I feel very badly for the family, and maybe I am really daft but I don't understand the point of the exercise to begin with- under the best circumstances it seems risky, as someone said if the packages made it inside homes, what then? Well now, I think we know... People could end up with PTSD from these exercises, couldn't they? I know I would be severely traumatized if someone killed my animals in front of me, in my home....