Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vancouver Dog Obedience Training Club must sit and stay for human rights complaint

Dingo
August 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Vancouver dog training school must sit and stay for human rights complaint
19 hours ago

VANCOUVER The B.C. Human Rights Tribunal says a complaint from a wheelchair-bound man should go ahead.

The Tribunal has rejected efforts by the Vancouver Dog Obedience Training Club to dismiss the complaint filed by Metro Vancouver resident Michael Tripp.

He says he was denied enrolment in a dog obedience class in a Vancouver church because the club and its organizers were reluctant to arrange for the use of an existing ramp leading to the classroom.

Tripp also alleges the club claimed there was not enough room to accommodate his chair and it would frighten the dogs.

The club argued it tried to meet Tripp's needs but the ramp in question was unsuitable and unsafe.

Tribunal member Tonie Beharrell says the matter should go ahead because no one ever spoke to Tripp about his specific requirements and, if the complaint is upheld, any remedies could benefit Tripp and the broader public interest.

Chaser
August 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Tripp also alleges the club claimed there was not enough room to accommodate his chair and it would frighten the dogs.

I really hate how ignorant some people can be!

If there is "not enough room" for a wheelchair, how is there enough room for a class full of dogs???

And I would think one of the basic points of obedience is that dogs should be able to easily adapt when they see things that are unfamiliar to them, without freaking out....if anything, it would be helpful to the dogs for this man to join the class.

I really think this is a manifestation of the belief that people with disabilities can't own dogs, which is complete B.S. IMHO. I hope the Tribunal rules in his favour.

Dingo
August 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I would think one of the basic points of obedience is that dogs should be able to easily adapt when they see things that are unfamiliar to them, without freaking out....if anything, it would be helpful to the dogs for this man to join the class.

Exactly. Anyone who wouldn't see it as a training opportunity isn't much of a trainer.

MIA
August 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Exactly. Anyone who wouldn't see it as a training opportunity isn't much of a trainer.

You nailed that one on the head!!!! I hope she loses a TON of business

jorden
March 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Please check trainers before you use them.

Bailey_
March 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Yikes, what a sad story! I agree - it would've been such a great opportunity for the dogs to be trained with this man in the class! How selfish some people in our society can be! UGH!