Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

it's "run amuck week"....

jessi76
August 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
apparently this is the week to let your dog run amuck.

monday evening Tucker started freaking out at the front door... low and behold a gorgeous brindle pit-mix was standing at my front door. We recognized him as the dog who lives up the road... such a nice dog, but a little on the skinny side for my liking. :frustrated:

anyways, my fiance grabbed one of our leashes and walked him back home. figuring he just "got loose" somehow... well, he got there and no one was home. Since he didn't feel right about poking around someone else's property, he called the dog officer - a very nice lady. She had already received calls about this dog running loose that night, she was already on her way over. She put the dog back in his outdoor run (a chain link kennel area with THREE major huge locks on the outside, so it seems odd that he just "escaped", I don't think his pen was properly closed to begin with)

so the pooch was back home, safe and sound. phew. by that time it was dark, and being brindle, hard for cars to see him. Not to mention he had NO TAGS on! dumb dumb dumb owners!

Then today, I drop my son off at daycare and what is trotting down the middle of the road, headed straight for a major road? an adorable bulldog. I pull over, call him, he comes happily... thankfully this one has a tag on... I call the number on his tag... and surprise! it's an out of service cell phone. WTF! update your friggen dog's tags people! It had an address, so I drove this cute, well behaved, friendly, PERFECT, bulldog home. no one is home. ugh. now what? Thankfully a neighbor saw me, and offered to put the dog back into the house which he thought may be unlocked... and it was. phew. cute bulldog back inside, safe and sound.

PEOPLE! STOP LETTING YOUR DOGS RUN AMUCK! :wall::yell::frustrated:

ahhh, sorry, needed to rant about it.

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's people like that who lose their pets "suddenly" and then wonder why. Makes you want to just keep them and let the owners sweat it out for a bit to teach them a lesson.

allymack
August 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
:yell:ugh! what careless pepole, and thats all it it too! I mean yes my dog has gotten out and run around for a bit, but people know i didnt just let him go as i will be running down the street even if i am in my pj's( which isn't my best look :o) but those people seemed like they couldnt care less what happens to their dog..:wall::frustrated:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM
but those people seemed like they couldnt care less what happens to their dog..:wall::frustrated:

I agree , accidents can happen but come on .... when I'm outside working and the dogs are out , even if my yard is fenced , I will stop once in a while and make head count , just in case :o

Ford Girl
August 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I agree , accidents can happen but come on .... when I'm outside working and the dogs are out , even if my yard is fenced , I will stop once in a while and make head count , just in case :o

Me too, I couldnt imagine not knowing where Dazy was. :frustrated: Even off leash parks I pay attention. :shrug:

Thanks for stopping and doing something about it, some people wouldnt. :angel:

Im still waiting for that golden male to wander in my yard. ;) (I know, not a joke :))

Frenchy
August 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Im still waiting for that golden male to wander in my yard. ;) (I know, not a joke :))

This could be easely arrange :whistle:

jessi76
August 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for stopping and doing something about it, some people wouldnt. :angel:

that's the other part I really don't understand. When I saw that bulldog in the middle of the road, I also saw about 10 cars drive AROUND him. seriously? how hard is it to pull over, call the dog to safety, and read a tag? it's not hard. I don't have any "spare" time in the morning, but I managed to take the 5 min to make sure this dog was safe. I could NEVER in good conscience just drive around him and hope he doesn't get hit.

I can understand an accident here and there w/ your dog getting loose. BUT, when this happens repeatedly, I really think the owners should have to pay fines. once - no fine, maybe just a warning. twice - minor fine. THREE times - heavy fine. If owners had to pay there may be less of this. We have a leash law in my area, and a very nice dog officer, but the rules aren't really enforced. both of the dogs I've brought back home this week have been running amuck a number of times.

I'm like you Frenchy, when I have my 2 cats and dog out w/ me in the yard, I do a furry head count OFTEN. Not 10 min goes by that I don't know where each one of them is. and if I can't watch them, into the house they go.

Soter
August 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Makes you want to just keep them and let the owners sweat it out for a bit to teach them a lesson.

Did you know than any dog without a lead or is not visibly in the owner's charge is legally classed as a stray. Even if you know who the owner is, you can take that dog in and it isn't classed as stealing, even though the owner has the right to get the dog back?

Stupid owners. Imagine, a poor innocent poochie getting stolen or worse because of stupidity:sad:

oh well, at least animal :lovestruck: like us can do all we can

soter

Longblades
August 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I found one last week. An older GR, looking like she isn't used to being out on the road and heading towards the busy highway. Came right over to me, collar but no tags. Dirty ears and teeth, unkempt matted coat, long toenails and STINKY. Walked her around the village, no takers. Got her scanned by neighbour who breeds GR, no chip.

Kept her in the garage ovenight, too stinky for the house. My wonderful OH slept out there with her as she was fretting.

Next day up with posters all over and one other neighbour says, "oh, that's so and so, she's here all the time." Here being a chip business even closer to the busy road than I am. Right on it actually. I didn't think he was right, because how come I never saw her before? But it turned out to be true.

I have now returned to these nitwit owners one lovely black cat, a nasty uncared for GSD (many times) and his poodle friend, like the GR only skinny, and now the GR. The GR was fat and poor old girl was 14. They let their animals run loose all day while they are at work and school. Nothing can be done, OSPCA wise, because the critters have shelter, food and water and are loved. The GR was thrilled to see them. How come none of them has been hit on the road is a mystery.

kiara
August 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
This is scary stuff and could become a very painful lesson, for a few moments of not thinking!!! Many lost animals are never found and only God knows what happeded to them. PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE AWARE THAT THEY MIGHT NEVER SEE THEIR PET AGAIN---- PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND SECURE YOUR GATES WELL !!!! There are crazy people out there who have no conscience and would like to make a quick buck. These animals maybe sold to good homes or maybe used for puppy mills if not fixed yet but also may end up in research labs.