Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen vs Organix

SparklingSparky
August 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Any comments for above 2 types of kibbles ?

If dog has no allergy, no health concern, no price issue...dog likes these 2 types of kibbles, need to lose a bit weight

As general , Orijen fish kibbles and Organix chicken kibbles , which is better ?

Anyone feeding Organix ?

Sparky

Lissa
August 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Orijen hands down.

Organix is too low in protein for me and has way too many carbs/fillers (peas, barley, rice, oats)... You would need to feed more Organix because they have a lower kcal per cup AND there would also be a question of digestability/absorption given all the grains.

Dogs that need to lose weight need as few grains as possible IMO.

Pit Bull Love
August 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I've tried the Organix with my cat. It was ok. Nothing to rave about but no real complaints either. :shrug:

rainbow
August 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Orijen, without a doubt, is better imo.

I agree with Lissa.....grain free is the best to feed if you want your dog to lose weight.

kathryn
August 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I've tried the Organix with my cat. It was ok. Nothing to rave about but no real complaints either. :shrug:

Exactly my thoughts. It was the same price as the stuff I normally buy, and my cats weren't thrilled with it but they ate it. Not really worth it for the price and what's in it.

SparklingSparky
August 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Orijen, without a doubt, is better imo.

I agree with Lissa.....grain free is the best to feed if you want your dog to lose weight.

But what i worry is grain free means eat more meat - more protein and phosphorus, wont it be danger to have liver failure?

All the while my dog is eating home cooked meat, veg & bit organic brown rice everyday just eat some kibbles only.

Sparky

gypsy_girl
August 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Allowable phosphorus levels are set by NRC and AAFCO, and studies has NOT show that a "somewhat" higher level of phosphorus is not harmful, unless there is a pre-existing condition. As for the high protein, much research has been done on this as well, and excess is not harmful, and restricting to "save" the kidneys also does not make a difference. However restricting may be required in times of renal failure (depending on how severe) In terms of liver, this is the same, however if your dog has a liver issue, you may want to look at something lower in protein like Core or NOW!
High protein foods ARE they way to go for weight loss for a variety or reasons, but the main one being that any protien that is not used for energy or amino acids, gets excreted and does not contribute to fat in the body.

SparklingSparky
August 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Allowable phosphorus levels are set by NRC and AAFCO, and studies has NOT show that a "somewhat" higher level of phosphorus is not harmful, unless there is a pre-existing condition. As for the high protein, much research has been done on this as well, and excess is not harmful, and restricting to "save" the kidneys also does not make a difference. However restricting may be required in times of renal failure (depending on how severe) In terms of liver, this is the same, however if your dog has a liver issue, you may want to look at something lower in protein like Core or NOW!
High protein foods ARE they way to go for weight loss for a variety or reasons, but the main one being that any protien that is not used for energy or amino acids, gets excreted and does not contribute to fat in the body.

May i know the allowable phosphorus levels set by NRC and AAFCO?

Wonder if phosphorus are offset by calcium supplement is it ok?

My dog is healthy, no liver nor kidney sickness.

If my dog is eating 100g of meat with 1 tablespoon of vegetables and 1 tablespoon of brown rice, in order to lose weight, i will cut off the rice, but protein (phosphorus) PERCENTAGE will be high, eventhough volumn is same. Is this acceptable ? or the protein (phosphorus) must keep in acceptable percentage?

Smiley14
August 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I this this article sums it up nicely:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1104

I feed Orijen by the way.