Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any (Canadian) Legal Beagles?

Baggins
August 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Apologies for the terrible pun.

I'm hoping somebody can provide a little advice, or guidance. We rescued a 2 year old poodle cross on the weekend (Baggins) who was weaving through city traffic - almost got hit twice. He was very dirty, hadn't eaten for days (based upon his GI reaction to food), and was very aggressive toward people. From the time we've spent with him, it's obvious that his former owner abused him:

Aggressive towards people (we've managed to gain his trust, but he's still very jumpy with strangers).
Not chipped or tagged
Not neutered
Refuses to sleep unless he's in a cage
Doesn't seem to have any shots
Not housebroken

He has dysentery and has been throwing up if he eats anything but a little food, or drinks water. We've taken him to our (very good) vet, and he's being treated with probiotics and antibotics, so that's not a concern.

What is a concern is that we had called the humane society when we originally picked him up to get their advice - they said that if we brought him in, they'd take care of the veterinary expenses and try to find his original owner (who has abused him). Clearly, we didn't want him going back to his original owner, so we kept him - we've had him to the vet, and he's starting to improve, both in health and temperament.

The humane society has now called back, and said that they feel "obligated" to try to find his original owner :shrug:

Given that he's not chipped or tagged, can they possibly take him away if they find whatever idiot used to own him? We haven't had him for long, but it doesn't take long to bond with an animal, and we're worried sick that they could take him away and give him back to someone who abuses him.

Help...suggestions...advice...all appreciated.

Thank you.

bethaliz
August 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't really know much about the law in that regard. However, I would say, why not let them look. In all honesty, the odds that they will find the original owner, are slim. And if they do, maybe they should charge them, instead of giving them the dog back.

rainbow
August 6th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I have absolutely no legal background but the next time they call I would say that the dog escaped from your yard. Most humane societies would be too busy to pursue it any further. :shrug:

sugarcatmom
August 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I agree with rainbow. The dog is clearly better off with you, I wouldn't want to risk him being taken away.

aslan
August 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
yup i agree with rainbow too, the dog ran off. Because unfortunately what should happen to the original owner won't. If you want to keep him, and love him furever, then yup, " we let him out to pee, and he ran off"

kathryn
August 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'm curious as to how you were able to adopt him if he was aggressive and sick. Did you sign an adoption contract? Did you pay an adoption fee?

If so, and the dog was held for the proper amount of time by law to be reclaimed, then you are the dogs rightful owner.

Like if I adopted a cat from the shelter after it was held for 7 days and put up for adoption, but later found out that the owner was on vacation and the cat ran away and they didn't know.. yes I'd give them their kitty back if they were a good owner.

For you though... the dogs better off with you taking care of it instead of some idiot.

I am american, but legally you should be fine. If the original owner comes forth, they would be arrested and charged for animal cruelty if they had no reasonable excuse for the dogs condition.

The owner is not going to come forward anyways though.

t.pettet
August 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Kathryn - the dog was rescued from the streets and yes I would also say he ran off if the Humane Society is pestering you, as I don't think they'd want to adopt out or even bother working with an aggressive dog.

Baggins
August 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks very much for the responses and reassurances. We tried the "dog ran off" route...their response was "I find that very hard to believe". It would seem that the "Lost and Found" agent "has a few friends who have been missing dogs for months", so she's now on a mission to reunite all dogs with their original owners, idiots or otherwise. :wall:

Anyway, I'm sure you're all right, and the owner won't come forward. And if he does, I'll see if the vet will give us a 2 for 1 deal on neutering. :evil:

Thanks again. Great forum. I'll be back.