Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

UGH! I hate it when ....

Luvmypitgirls
August 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
The tv news, screams "PITBULL ATTACK", yet when it is determined that the dog in question was not a Pitbull, they don't retract, or apologize for the error. The story is simply dropped, but it's out there in the minds of the public that it was "another" Pitbull attack.

A couple nights ago it was reported on Global 7 and Calgarys CFCN that an attack by an APBT, ended with another dog being killed. They interviewed people in the neighborhood, of course the same song and dance, "oh they are vicious and have no business being in a community where it could have just as easily been a child it attacked.:rolleyes:

DA is not uncommon in APBT's,especially ones not properly socialized, but to assume that the dog would've ripped a child apart if it had the chance is just taking advantage of the situation and adding further sensationalism to create more bias.

I checked the Edmonton Sun today, expecting lots of letters to the editor screaming for an all out breed ban, but much to my surprise, the Edmonton Sun, stepped up and corrected the media error.
Here is what was printed.

The owner of a border collie that was mauled to death by a bulldog cross in the north end on the weekend says she doesn't feel any ill will toward the other dog's owners.

Isobel Conrad said she felt sorry for the owner of the dog which attacked and killed her 14-year-old border collie-blue heeler cross Freckles. It was put down yesterday morning.

"I feel bad for the other lady," she said. "I know she tried to catch her dog when he got away from her, she tried to intervene. I don't feel any maliciousness towards her."

The other dog, an English bulldog-Lab-boxer mix, attacked Conrad's dog near 151A Avenue and 46 Street Sunday morning. The collie was killed in the attack.

The bulldog was captured with the help of police officers.

While it was originally thought the dog was a pitbull, an examination by a vet confirmed it was not, said Art Becker, the city's co-ordinator of animal control and enforcement.

The bulldog's owner gave her consent to having the dog euthanized, which was done yesterday about 10 a.m., Becker said.

"It was genuine remorse from the dog owner," he said. "It was completely out of the dog's character, it had not shown any aggressive tendencies in the past."

Conrad said she hopes other dog owners, particularly larger breeds, will take notice of what happened and take precautions when they are out.

That includes using muzzles and choke collars when they're out in public, she said.

"If they are larger dogs please don't take them to playgrounds," she added.

Becker said it's possible for any dog - regardless of breed - to get aggressive and attack another dog, depending on the circumstances, he said.

All dogs operate on instincts to protect, defend and attack, he said. They are territorial and males will compete to determine who the dominant one is.

"Any one of those things could've triggered it," he said.

It doesn't matter the size or breed of the dog, either, he added.

"It's right down from a teacup to a sled dog."

Now while I don't agree that all big dogs need to be muzzled and choke chained:rolleyes:, I am grateful about the statements regarding it doesn't matter what breed, all dogs are capable of attacking.
For once one media source has done a justice for the APBT's that are demonized and discriminated against.

I know Global 7 and Calgary's CFCN, will not retract the headline and apologize for the error, why would they want to do that? Afterall, it's easier to just let people become more afraid and keep the bias going and growing.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Pit bulls are outlawed in the county where I live. I read about dog attacks now and then. Are they on the headline news? No. Why because they aren't pit bulls. The media doesn't want to report about a chihuahua attacking someone or a beagle or a Jack Russel or a lab. No, the big news is if it's a pit bull.

Any dog can attack a person or another dog. We tend to forget we live with animals that have instincts. My cats give me a nip now and then and I've raised them from kittens. Maybe something frightened them. Maybe they feel they need to protect you or their territory. Who knows.

To think that just because you have a non bully breed you are safe, your mistaken. You still have to train and socialize your pet. I imagine when you have a dog you are basically always training them to a degree. Actually even if you have cats you still have to discipline them once in a while.

Sadly, I don't think the media will be changing their ways any time soon. Not as long as there are stupid people willing to listen to their biased lies.

Luvmypitgirls
August 7th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Pit bulls are outlawed in the county where I live. I read about dog attacks now and then. Are they on the headline news? No. Why because they aren't pit bulls. The media doesn't want to report about a chihuahua attacking someone or a beagle or a Jack Russel or a lab. No, the big news is if it's a pit bull.

Any dog can attack a person or another dog. We tend to forget we live with animals that have instincts. My cats give me a nip now and then and I've raised them from kittens. Maybe something frightened them. Maybe they feel they need to protect you or their territory. Who knows.

To think that just because you have a non bully breed you are safe, your mistaken. You still have to train and socialize your pet. I imagine when you have a dog you are basically always training them to a degree. Actually even if you have cats you still have to discipline them once in a while.

Sadly, I don't think the media will be changing their ways any time soon. Not as long as there are stupid people willing to listen to their biased lies.

Amen. What is sad is that it is out there now, unless ppl take the time to read the Edmonton Sun, they will still believe there was a pitbull attack.
This happens more and more, I'm not sure why the media has targeted Pitbulls the way they have. There was a story on the news about a woman who had sold her house and paid 50 grand to clone her deceased beloved Pitbull, even reporting that story you could hear the bias in the news anchors voice and her facial expression when she said Pitbull.

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I saw that story. She had it done from some firm in Korea right?

I have to say, I love Cesar Millan for this. He actively every chance he gets not only says how great pit bulls are and that it's the people who make them vicious but he uses them in assisting in his training. Daddy is a great example of what kind of a wonderful dog a pitty is, and now he's got another one, Junior I think who he's also bringing in to help as well.

A lot of people watch him and respect him. If more people like him would just come out and try to educate people then maybe the media would just lay the heck off.