Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got a little wild here today...

krdahmer
August 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Wow... this weather is completely nuts! This is a pic my next door neighbour took... a garage from one street over had quite the adventure!

I didn't take pics of my damage yet... I was too steamed! The stupid storm wrecked my gazebo canape and bent the frame :eek:!!! grrrr :frustrated: It was exciting though... I was trying to figure out how to wrangle 6 spooked cats into the basement there for a bit! :rolleyes::laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM
:eek: Did you guys get a bit of the twister from the Chicago area?

:grouphug: for the gazebo :fingerscr it can be fixed?

rainbow
August 6th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Freaky weather :eek: and poor kitties. :grouphug:

I hope you can repair your gazebo. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Frenchy
August 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM
holy crap ! Weather is going completely nuts hey ? :eek:

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, that's some scary wind!:eek:

You just reminded me I've got to get my hands on a couple more carriers for my gang. Hurricane season is underway here, don't want to be caught without a place to make sure the gang is safe.

I hope your damage isn't too bad so that it's going to cost you much to fix.

krdahmer
August 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Me and my dad are gonna see what we can do with duct tape! We'll make Red Green proud! LOL We'll prob have to replace it next year, or when we get a real house and stop renting. No really bad damage, part of a tree in the neighbour's yard, lots of branches down, vehicles were all ok though, the hail wasn't too big... Grimsby where my brother and 14+ live got smacked pretty good too, it was on the news last night. I wonder how the catuary made out!

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
:eek: Oh I hope 14+'s kitties are okay!

krdahmer
August 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna PM her... I see she hasn't been on since last night, and parts of Grimsby lost power! Hope all is ok over there! I called and left a message to see how she made out too.

rainbow
August 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
It must have been pretty scary for the kitties in the catuary. :sad: :grouphug: I hope everything is okay at her place. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Maybe she's got no internet because of the wind.

krdahmer
August 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm sure she'll be along to tell ya... but she said she was out with the kitties when the hail hit! Must have been exciting... but they are all ok! :thumbs up

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for worrying. All is good! The kitties were pretty freaked during that storm. I really hope we don't get another one like that for a long, long time. Or never again will be good. They were even more freaked when this strange looking creature wearing a hood over her head to try to stay dry (didn't work) showed up. Most were under their shed, not in it. :shrug: Can't figure that one out.

Minimo was pretty upset in her crate so I put her in the carrier and put her in the shed. She isn't making friends out there yet. :rolleyes:

All in all, we lost a tree, some of my plants are damaged badly, our one driveway was half washed away, and our canopy (like the one in the picture) has been shifted and bent, and our wireless internet messed up with the electricity in the air. We had to replace the power supply for it today. I was suffering withdrawal last night. Could have been tons worse!

The kitties in the house carried on like nothing happened.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thank goodness everyone is okay. I can't imagine trying to keep that many cats calm! Everything else can be fixed or replaced, but kitties are irreplaceable:cat:

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I just hope the poor babies that are out in the fields somewhere were able to get to a place where they were safe. I saw Little Momma this morning so I know she is ok. I just hope she had her kids in a good place. :fingerscr

Sylvie
August 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
14+ I am so glad you are O.K.

Sorry about the flowers:eek: But happy the kitties made it through. I often wonder about the poor animals in the fields, but I think they sense the storm is coming and seek protection. :D

Abig :grouphug: to all the kitties.

rainbow
August 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm so glad that you and the kitties are okay. :thumbs up

Sorry about your flowers though :sad: but like AG said, everything is replaceable except the kitties. :) :grouphug:

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks Sylvie and Rainbow! The most important thing is that the kitties are safe. That's why I went out. I wanted to make sure they were. If they were going somewhere I was going too. :rolleyes:
The hail was about the size of grapes here so not bad enough to damage cars but big enough they darned well hurt when they hit! Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes.

Frenchy
August 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I didn't know you were hit too 14+ ! :eek: I'm glad it went "well". Kitties were probably too scared to go into their house. :sad:

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I didn't know you were hit too 14+ ! :eek: I'm glad it went "well". Kitties were probably too scared to go into their house. :sad:

Yep, I was one of the lucky ones. Not that far away from Hamilton. They all got hit pretty good too. Lots of flooding in some areas. Krdahmer and I are about 25ish minutes apart.
If I would have been smart and closed the big door on the cat house before the storm hit the kitties would have gone in there but I forgot. I really didn't think it was going to be nearly as bad as it was. Can't remember rain ever coming down that hard. Hydro was out in some spots here till 4 a.m. this morning. We only lost it for half an hour or so.

Frenchy
August 6th, 2008, 11:00 PM
You couldn't have known :shrug: it's been a crazy summer around here too. Feels like Florida but with sh**** winter :frustrated:

clm
August 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I heard all the horror stories about the storm at work and I couldn't believe it. I must have been very lucky, we heard lots of thunder at my house and saw very little lightening. We had rain for maybe 2 hours, but it wasn't heavy, just a nice light steady rain. A lot of people at work had downed trees and no power. I must have been on the right side of the storm for a change.

Cindy

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I know. My SIL was asking today if we are going to be getting full fledged tornados next year. This weather is just freaky scary sometimes. I need a better house for my babies!!! And no luck with 6/49 tonight. Don't even know why I bother getting tickets.
K, on that sad note.............bedtime. :sleepy:

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I think it was all down this way this time clm. We normally miss most of the bad stuff. Last night made up for it. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
August 7th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Glad all seems to be OK 14k, I can't believe that the stupid Toronto Star said not one word about the gravity of the storms that went on in your parts. We had real heavy rains but nothing like that.

14+kitties
August 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Chris the Toronto Star doesn't worry about us down this way.:rolleyes: :D
Main thing is everyone came through in one piece!

14+kitties
August 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
We got hit again! Hail in Grimsby. We missed it this time but boy, did that rain come down! I saw it coming this time and had the door to the cat house closed. They went in their little cat door and stayed inside. Minimo was very well covered too. I wish I could trust her with the other kits but I can't yet. Soon, I hope.:fingerscr
More of our drive washed away. We are going to have to bring in lots of loads of stone to replace what is gone. Haven't checked the basement yet. Not sure I want to.
Hamilton is really getting hammered. The town is only offering $750 toward flood damage to people's basement for sewage damage. :yuck: A lot of people aren't happy. They are telling the town what they can do with the $750. I hope people have insurance. It's going to cost tons to get the experts in to clean the basements properly and get the sewage out.
When is it all going to end? :yell:

aslan
August 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Man and i thought we were getting it bad, never ending for you guys. We saw the storm coming this way, but it never quite made it to hail. The driveway kinda sucks eh.

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Oh yuck, sewage in your basement. Man, I hope you guys get a break soon!

14+kitties
August 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Oh yuck, sewage in your basement. Man, I hope you guys get a break soon!

ancient - I don't have sewage in my basement! We are on septic. It was replaced 3 years ago so is almost brand new. No worries there.
Hamilton is the place having the issues with the sewage. With so much rain there is just no place for the water to go. It's coming up through the drains. Not good! I hope for Hamiltonians' sake it ends soon.
Our drive can be repaired. Might as well wait till the rain is done though. They are saying rain straight through till at least Monday, possible Wednesday. :shrug:

aslan
August 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
is this starting to remind anyone of the movie " the day after tomorrow"?

14+kitties
August 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Never saw the movie but just googled it. I sure hope not! Hopefully it ends soon.
Last year we complained because the summer was soooooooo dry and hot! This year it is too wet. We are just never happy!

14+kitties
August 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
So...... the whacky weather still isn't finished with us!!! We need a few days with NO rain please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday we got hit with another doozy of a storm! It had been raining on and off most of the day. What else is new? Then the thunder and lightning started early afternoon.
We got hit really hard! Seems to be the story of our lives out here lately. Lightning hit the hydro line across the road from us......... probably 20 feet from the house. It knocked out the internet, again, screwed our fax machine, phone lines and my TV. We have been told by the internet company that we have to pay for the next box that gets fried. Like it's our fault!
Now we have to try to make an insurance claim but figure there is probably a $500 deductable so why bother. :shrug: This is just getting ridiculous! :yell:

Chris21711
August 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Wacky weather indeed 14k. We didn't get the high winds but it sure did rain and rain and rain. Word of caution maybe, as far as Insurance claims. Our Insurance Broker is a friend and more or less told us that if your claim is less than $2,000 don't bother, they hold it against you and if you have a couple of claims they are just as likely to cancel your insurance upon renewal :wall:

14+kitties
August 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yep, which is why we will probably bite it. We haven't ever made a claim so thought with all of the damages we might be able to. But with talking about it, why bother. It would be so nice to actually be able to use insurance for what it's meant to be used for. :wall:

krdahmer
August 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Ugh! That is frustrating eh? We pay hundreds and thousands of dollars out for insurance that is supposed to help us but when we need it, it's in our best interest not to use it? What a crock! Now if anyone should be accused of theft it's insurance companies!!!

Sorry to hear you got another doozy of a storm... wasn't too bad here just rain all darn day yesturday!