Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3 dogs who don't get along...

markus_675
August 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I have a 9 year old Husky/shepard cross (Buddy). Fabulous dog. about 18 months ago I wanted to get him some company/playmate. I got a cocker puppy (Max). Buddy would have nothing to do with him snapped at him the odd time but otherwise totally ignored him. 6 months ago Max's litter brother became available so I stupidly thought that if I got him at least he and Max would get along and play. Well that didn't work. All 3 are getting increasingly aggressive with each other especially if I am paying attention. The 2 youngest are only 2 so I don't think all is lost I still have hope.. Anyone have suggestions?

luckypenny
August 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum markus_675 :) .

By any chance, are all three of your dogs neutered?

Buddy snapping at a puppy (especially if Max didn't get physically hurt) is pretty normal behavior in most cases. Mature dogs, more often than not, are the ones to teach the pups some doggie manners.

Our adults teach the pups what's appropriate play and what isn't. They also teach them to respect space. If I don't intervene, it only takes an extremely short while for any pups to "learn" what it is they can and can't get away with. And absolutely no one gets hurt either.

ETA: Can you give us some examples as to what goes on between your dogs?

markus_675
August 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. Buddy and Max are neutered. PJ is scheduled in the next 2 weeks.
The aggression does get rough not often but on occasion it is a full fledged fight.
Buddy seems to want to teach PJ who is boss. But when ever he walks near PJ Max starts to growl. So then PJ starts to growl so then buddy starts to growl. The whole thing escalates. I have tried to gently hold PJ and Max's snouts and say "quiet" but as soon as I let go they start.
I do not believe in physical punishments and don't want to yell but I really don't know how to diffuse it.

luckypenny
August 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM
You may see a difference a couple of months after PJ is neutered. Many male dogs feel threatened by un-neutered males. Sounds like Max is defending PJ.

Our neutered male gets along for the most part with other males (unless he feels one of 'his' females are threatened), but under no circumstances has he ever gotten along with one who wasn't neutered.

Have you considered having a behaviorist or an experienced trainer come to assess the situation? I think it would be a great idea if a professional can actually see what's going on and be in the best position to tell you how to go about correcting the situation.

markus_675
August 5th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I figured that Max is defending PJ but he in turn will go after PJ at times. I also expect some changes after PJ gets fixed. I am currently looking into a behaviorist.:fingerscr
Thanks for your help.

luckypenny
August 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Please keep us posted markus_675. And pictures of your furbabies would be a bonus too :goodvibes: .

luckypenny
August 5th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, and here's a list of three trainers in your area in case you need some help finding one.

http://www.cappdt.ca/trainers.jsp

It would most likely be preferable if you choose one who uses positive reinforcement methods. Don't be shy to ask lots of questions and to ask for references as well while you interview them. Best of luck to you all :fingerscr .

luckypenny
August 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hmm, that link didn't provide the list :o.

Just enter your city and province and it should pop up.