August 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Ellie is sitting at my foot right now. Her front paw is slightly swollen. I really couldn't tell until she put it down next to the other one. She will let me touch the foot and the paw. She can put weight on it, but prefers not to. Her vet is closed right now, and I would rather not take her to the emergency vet if it's not major. She tends to be a bit of a drama queen. She's not crying or anything. She's just clingier than usual and her tail is tucked in. I have some medication that she got last year when she hurt her neck (I think it's called Dermexx?). Should I give her some?
I'll do whatever I need to do. So, if you guys think she needs to go the emergency vet, I'll take her.
BTW- she has her nails clipped on Saturday. She's been normal since then, thogh. Could that have something to do with it?
August 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Maybe one of her nails is cut too short! maybe give her paw a good look over and see how she is tomorrow? she doesnt favor the paw at all? I wonder if they had some trouble with her while cutting and had to hold her paw firmly? Is your vet open tomorrow?
August 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Actually, I thought they left the nails a little too long!
She's eating now, so we're going to hold off until tomorrow. If we need to use the ev, they're open all night. I don't want to make a mild situation worse. She has stress- induced tummy problems, and car trips are the worst things in the world. :eek:
August 5th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Let us know your pup makes out! Maybe she banged it on something!! :thumbs up
August 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
The person who clipped her nails may have squeezed a little too hard as winston suggested, or Ellie could have twisted her foot trying to get her foot back. Or it could be something as simple as an insect bite. Keep an eye on it and aslong as it doesn't get worse or she isn't in pain, i think you're ok to wait until the morning.
August 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
She might have sprained her paw during a zoomie or if she was playing. For minor swellings (as this appears to be by your description), we usually let it go for 24 hours and re-evaluate. If it gets worse, though (more swelling, increased tenderness, refusal to put weight on it), or if you notice any red, cracked or otherwise damaged nails, I'd get her in as soon as possible during regular hours.
August 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I agree with everyone and I would also hold off on giving the Deramaxx until you talk to your vet.