Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bugs And How To Get Rid Of Them

UNKLEJESSE01
August 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
My Cat Has Little Tiny Bugs I Am Not Sure What They Are If They Are Fleas Or Lice Or What And Want To Know How I Can Get Rid Of Them My Cat Is About 3 Months Old Is Giving Him A Bath Okay And If So What Do I Use To Wash Him With?

growler~GateKeeper
August 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I would suggest a trip to the vet, I can't tell you without seeing the cat what it is. It is far better to know for sure what bugs you are dealing with. If it is fleas the vet can give you something to treat the kitten as well as your home. If it is lice or mites or any number of parasites the vet will need to determine the proper treatment.

While you are at the vet you can have them check for worms. Often kittens will have tapeworm if they have fleas.

A bath will not necessarily kill all parasites the first time. Giving a bath to a cat/kitten when you've never done it is not recommended. The water needs to be a shade above lukewarm not cold & not hot, kittens get chilled very quickly. Only approved non-toxic pet shampoos should be used, extra care must be taken to not get the water in the eyes & ears. They need to be bathed quickly, rinsed thoroughly & dried quickly.

You can contact your vet for a recommendation for a groomer for giving a bath.

You also need to treat your home with frequent vacuuming, cleaning of beds/blankets/rugs and floors with non-toxic cleaners.