Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Negative response from transport ad?

kathryn
August 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I am in contact with a rescue group located mainly in Georgia. I am driving down to visit family about an hour away from where the shelter they rescue cats on death row from.. in late September.

I offered to set up a transport to take some of their cats and kittens out of foster care and to where they send them to up north. They thanked me and said that'd be great, except they are full at their rescues up north and can't seem to get any help from anyone else. Otherwise it really would have helped them to get some of their cats out of foster care and up north to be adopted so that more spots would be open in the foster care to save more cats from the shelter.

Okay so, I offered to try to help them find some open spots up here with some no kill organizations. I figured I might ask some people from my shelter if they could help, but I didn't want to be pushy since they've helped me alot so far.

So I decided, well I'll post an ad on Craigslist and see if anyone around here in interested in foster them or adopting any if I bring them up.

Well, I keep getting some nasty nasty emails.

One included a link to another craigslist ad someone had posted in a mean response to me. It's been deleted.

dot add to the population!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are you crazy

Does that make any sense? I'm merely moving cats from a HI KILL state to a NO KILL area....

LEAVE THEM THERE!!! Let Georgia solve their own problems. Bringing them here will only and to the burden of our animal problems. In fact, why donít you take some animals from our over run shelters with you down south with you!!

And that doesn't really make any sense to me either.... take animals from here where we actually make an EFFORT to find them new homes and are aggressive with spay and neuter...and send them down south to be killed?? And to 'let Georgia solve their own problem'... and what? Just sit back and let cats and dogs be murdered left and right down there?

I mean, all I posted was an ad asking if anyone would have any room for them in late September so they could be adopted out.

....Am I in the wrong or what? I mean my shelter actually has a contract with a shelter in West Virginia to meet half way with them every month and transport animals back to our shelter that otherwise would have been put down. So clearly transports are a common thing to get cats and dogs adopted instead of euthanized??? Or am I completely retarded?

luckypenny
August 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Kathryn, perhaps these ppl who are being disrespectful to you are simply misinformed about some of the work that Rescues do :shrug: . Or maybe they know of some high-kill shelters/pounds in your area :shrug:? In any case, don't take it personally. Wanting to help these cats is a wonderful thing, imo. You're a sweetheart!

kathryn
August 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
There aren't any around here. They told me to go to the county shelter.. but um I've been there tons of times and they have a bad reputation... but they really are not as bad as people say. The county shelter is supposed to put animals down, but they don't and if an animals time is up, they ship it off to my shelter! I read the papers on the cats cages all the time, and about 30% of them are transfers in from the county shelter so they wouldn't be obligated to put them down.

I guess the people think I'm just driving the animals up here and dumping them off at shelters or something... I'm looking for foster care mostly.

At the very least I'm going to take a few home myself and foster them for the rescue. Even just opening up 3 spaces by taken a litter of 3 kittens is good enough.