Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why always on the carpet?

LaurenBev
August 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This may come across as a humorous post to some, but I'm serious when I ask, is there a reason why, when my dog has an 'accident' in the house, it's always on the oriental rug? We have about 80% hard wood floors or tile floors and just that one rug, and whenever Leo has an accident its always on the rug? Is there a reason for this, or is it just Murhpy's Law?

aslan
August 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
lol, sorry i feel your pain. well picture the position Leo is in to do his business, $5 his back end is sliding away from him on the hardwood or tile. I pretty much think its a traction thing. That and he can probably smell his previous accidents on the carpet.

kigndano
August 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
that just about figures wouldnt it?

LaurenBev
August 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Big sigh - I guess so. Whaddya gonna do?

ancientgirl
August 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
What Aslan said, they likely smell the previous accident. Try getting some specialized cleaner made to clean accidents like that. Even though you've cleaned your rug, unless you use something special they will still smell the poop.

May as well give it a try.

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
As well, it might be because it's absorbant. I've had fosters that would soil in their crate continuously until I removed their blankets and viola! They stopped! lol

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
If an animal can't make it to the appropriate place to go, they will find a comfotable area, your rug is soft on the feet.

For example a cat with a urinary infection finds it painful to pee - they assoiciated the pain w/the litterbox & will therefore find a soft spot to pee so they go on a rug/blanket/bed.

As ancientgirl mentions, you need an enzymatic cleaner to fully clean the odour out of the rug. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean they can't. :D

kathryn
August 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
My whole downstairs of my house is hard wood floor and tile in the kitchen.. the stairwell and hallway upstairs are hardwood flooring and something else. Both bathrooms are tiled.

Where do my cats like to puke? The little rug by the front door, the little rug by the backdoor or they will run upstairs and puke in my bedroom or my moms bedroom.

Only a small percentage of the house is carpet but they insist on running to the carpet to puke! Drives me insane!

lavandula&gaya
August 5th, 2008, 01:10 AM
LaurenBev and everyone in the room,

good morning, i'm new on pets.ca forum
i just adopted a lovely dog from the spca shelter a week ago - x breeds still to be determined, but she is all black and she looks like a flatcoated retriever and a border collie - i should start a thread to introduce her :crazy:

i've had 101 pets... 100 cats... and 1 dog... i don't have cats anymore...

i'd say as an answer to your question: all of the above replies may apply!

i'm stepping in here as my first post and i've already experienced using Pet Stain & Odour Remover, a natural unscented product from Nature Clean, to remove dog poo and puke from a wool rug, at my former landlord's place - they had 2 big dogs, and we had agreed that they only use unscented products in the main (shared) entrance in between our 2 appartments

Ingredients: An oxygen activated system made entirely from hydrogen peroxide and water. Unscented and free of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).

this is the link to it - p.s. i use many of their products, as i am highly sensitive to sented/chemical products - i have mcs as well as many allergies - i have no shares in this company - i'm simply a very satisfied customer :goodvibes:
http://www.naturecleanliving.com/pet_stain_remover.htm

i'm not sure if it is available in your country, as it is made in canada - if not, there is certainly something similar available from another brand :)

i hope you can get rid of all smells and stains so that Leo stays away from your rug :evil: and good luck!!!

bendyfoot
August 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have the same issue. Any time someone has a pee/poo/vomit accident OR any time they get a really gross smelly treat that requires a good chew, they MUST do all the above on one of the two carpets downstairs, never on the tile or wood. This goes for both cats AND both dogs. It sucks.