-->

Khan El Khalili Bazaar

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Had a lot of fun with my bro and cousin M :thumbs up
Pics (there are a lot)...

Cousin M

AL Hussein Mosque

Suddenly I smelled beautiful Jasmine (yasmine in arabic..at least I think it would would be Jasmine in english?), looked around and there was the guy with the neck brace sitting in the cafe selling those "full" (arabic name) necklaces...we used to buy them when we were kids at traffic lights from guys weaving thru the lights and hang them on the rearview mirrow :cloud9:

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
More pics

Bazaar

Silver display
All the spices you could ever want

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
More Bazaar pics...some really cool things on sale...that chandelier was up for grabs too!

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
More pics!

As we were leaving the place with the chandelliers I spotted this little dog and we pet him then cousin asked about him and he belongs to the shopkeepers. Sooooo swweeet :lovestruck::cloud9:

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Whadja buy? Whadja buy? :D

OMG....I would be like a kid in a candy store at that bazaar. :laughing:

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
While me and lil bro had fun with doggy cousin M negotiated with the shopkeeper the price of a fez for A :D

Meanwhile I fell in love with doggy. What breed is it?

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
and one more of doggy..LOL..sorry..i cant help it he was sooooo cute. I love that he submitted for belly rubs so soon.

Cousin M again
A

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
More pics....

Rainbow I WAS a kid in a candy store..lol...it was FUN..hahaha, fun to haggle too.

Shishah, Hubby bubbly, hoookah...hehehe wheres that smilie chris?

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
More pics

Al Azhar Mosque
Because of terror attacks :evil: in the past, police presence (armed) is always visible in all touristic areas. Its not intimidating at all though, I dont even notice them :) They are very friendly.
After the call for Maghrib prayer (at sunset), these bread guys started weaving through the crowds selling bread to the cafes and restaurants as well as any passerby interested, totally fresh from the oven. Often see these guys in Cairo streets.

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Like seriously ANY spice u would every want. :crazy:

Such a COOl place. Some tourists get too intimidated cuz of the haggling and the calls by shopkeepers to enter their shops but reaaly its all part of the fun and atmosphere.

onster
August 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Last 3...wow ive posted 30 pics..im sorry lol total overkill!!! :eek:

Frency u might need to look into one of those belly dancing outfits for your maharja :p

What a fun day. :D

Rainbow we bought 2 fezes (one for bro and one for his friend), 3 wonferfully intritic brass lanterns with different coloured glass inserts for Ramadan - its tradition, every house hangs them and all the stores, streets etc for the fasting month...im going to hang them outside our house in Canada as ramadan is in September. A black kitty cat statue, lots of papyrus, postcards ;), lotsa cool bracelets, a deck of cards with egyptian scenes on the back (lol we get bored sometimes at night) and some egyptian eye kohl....

If i lived here I would have bought SOOOO much more. Its hard to lug things across the world, especially since a lot of the really cool things are breakable or really heavy.

TeriM
August 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Cool pics Onster :thumbs up. It sound like you are having a great time.

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Suddenly I smelled beautiful Jasmine (yasmine in arabic..at least I think it would would be Jasmine in english?),
It is in french :)

All the spices you could ever want

Although I don't cook , I looooove to smell them :cloud9:

Meanwhile I fell in love with doggy. What breed is it?

I would say Papillon or Papillon mix , pretty cute :lovestruck: looks like he enjoyed the belly rubs :cloud9:

Frency u might need to look into one of those belly dancing outfits for your maharja :p

:eek: how much do you have to weight to fit into those ? 50 lbs ? :eek:

It looks like a very cool place , to shop outside in those old streets :cloud9: I think I see some pipes in the first picture :whistle: or maybe they're just candle stick :p

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Whoa that's alot of people :eek: The place looks huge too.

Woohoo! Finally an Onster face shot :highfive: very pretty!

onster
August 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Frenchy, theyre pipes :laughing::angel::cool:

awww thanks growler liar liar pants on fire :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
awww thanks growler liar liar pants on fire :laughing:

Am not :D :angel:

Frenchy
August 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Frenchy, theyre pipes :laughing::angel::cool:

I knew it :p

Love4himies
August 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I wanna go there and shop too:yell:. Note: bring nothing but empty suitcases if visiting Egypt.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip with us onster!

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Oh boy, your killing me. I want everything there!

And what a cute little puppy!

krdahmer
August 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Wow cool... that is really something to see. Although I would be totally out of my element... I suck at haggling!! :rolleyes::laughing:

Brandykins
August 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
What stunning piccies! I would love to go there. Very atmospheric. Great captures. All those lovely things to buy!!!

Loved seeing the pics:)

:thumbs up

Take care.

Byrd
August 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I've only been to Khan El Khalili at night (yeah, it's open really late), it looks cool in the daytime too.

I bought my engagement and wedding rings there (my engagement ring is like $150 CDN). The coolest was the old nearly blind man who hand made mother of pearl boxes and such, I bought some and he showed me how he makes them, it was incredible.

I didn't like it the first time I went, as Onster said it can be very intimidating to tourists. The other times I went weren't so bad, but then I was with hubby for those times (he wasn't with us the first time round).

Onster your pics are making me "home sick".