Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Foster Bailey!

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well, Bailey is our longest term foster ever. She's been with us for over two years and I suspect she will live out her life with us. She's been on a ton of foster to adopts but no one seems to be able to handle her, which I really don't get as I find her quite easy but I've also handled a ton of dogs, many of them dog aggressive so I'm probably not a good judge of most peoples idea of "easy". lol She's a dream in the house. Quiet, non destructive, very obedient, good with small animals, etc.. She is "special needs" because of severe allergies and she can be dog aggressive if not handled properly. I think her age has alot to do with people passing her by as she will soon be ten. Well, whatever the reason she's being passed by, it's all good to us. I think it would be really weird not having Bailey here as she seems like one of the permanent crew. One thing that really sucks, is that we had to separate her permanently from Raven as Bailey is always getting ear infections, skin related staff infections, etc... Raven is NOT impressed with this set up as she loves Bailey. We still take them on walks together with hand sanitizer at the ready, and them walking apart from each other. :( I guess it's better than nothing. :shrug:

http://photos-004.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v73/22/19/651226004/n651226004_64411_7591.jpg

Cuddlin' with Tank and Arez
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/22/19/651226004/n651226004_1160346_31.jpg

Chewin' on her "stick".
http://photos-004.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v71/22/19/651226004/n651226004_74789_4113.jpg

Bailey and Raven before their separation. :(

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v172/22/19/651226004/n651226004_827615_7724.jpg

Chaser
August 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Bailey is a real cutie...and Raven is a really beautiful little girl :lovestruck: Lucky you! (and I love Bailey's "stick")

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
She is beautiful and I love the cuddling pics. :lovestruck:

What did the vet say about the ear and staph infections?

FancyAppy
August 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
All your pics are fabulous. Thank you for sticking with Bailey and providing such a loving home. Raven and Baily in the last pic really warmed my heart.

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Cuddlin' with Tank and Arez

Bailey and Raven before their separation. :(

These 2 pics just melt my heart !! :cloud9: Bailey is 10 yr old ? Well she doesn't look her age at all !

Wouldn't it just break your heart if the perfect family wanted to adopt her ? I've been "fostering" a great dane for the past 1 1/2 year , fostering at first but now I wouldn't let her go :p she is not up for adoption yet because we're waiting for a trial (puppy mill) but as soon as it's settled , I'll be signing those adoption papers !!! :goodvibes:

Bailey looks pretty comfy in your home :cloud9:

allymack
August 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Those are great pictures, shes a very pretty girl! she looks so sweet and cuddly.:cloud9:

allymack
August 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
You said she could be dog aggressive if she wasnt handled properly. I have a leash aggressive dog and i was wondering if you could offer some help on how to start fixing it. Later on in august I think i am going to hire a behaviorist ( just waiting for the money to be good enough) but i want to start to be able to get in under more control. If oyu could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated!

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Bailey :lovestruck: looks great for an older dog :thumbs up

Love the uhhh "stick" :laugh:

ancientgirl
August 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM
What great pictures! Bailey is a cutie. The picture of Bailey and Raven is lovely.

You should make a poster of that one and say "This is about as dangerous as they get."

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
What did the vet say about the ear and staph infections?

It's all allergy related. We had allergy testing done and she's pretty well allergic to life! :sad: She does have food allergies but also environmental ones we really can't control so we just keep her as comfy as possible. The ear infections particularly are the result of inhalant allergies and her poor ear leather is all scar tissuey and thick. :( She's actually doing better than she ever has before and I think that is because we removed all the carpeting and put in flooring. The staff infections are usually secondary to a bad allergy break out. She hasn't had one of those in a while though. She used to literally have to wear a cone 24/7 when she first got here or she'd scratch ears and face into a bloody mess. One time I took her cone off while she went out for some yard time thinking I'd just make sure she didn't scratch. Well she ran out and rubbed her face in the ground so hard she had two bloody rings around her eyes. Poor Bailey.

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
These 2 pics just melt my heart !! :cloud9: Bailey is 10 yr old ? Well she doesn't look her age at all !

Wouldn't it just break your heart if the perfect family wanted to adopt her ? I've been "fostering" a great dane for the past 1 1/2 year , fostering at first but now I wouldn't let her go :p she is not up for adoption yet because we're waiting for a trial (puppy mill) but as soon as it's settled , I'll be signing those adoption papers !!! :goodvibes:

Bailey looks pretty comfy in your home :cloud9:

I know. So many people keep telling us to keep her, and I have so considered it, but she is allergic to cats and I have one, which really sucks as she's great with small animals. But with Raven's health issues, and them having to be separated and all, plus, I think it would be so cool for her to have all the attention and get totally spoiled instead of having to share her time like she does here. I have this sneaking suspicion she won't be going anywhere anytime soon though! lol

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM
You said she could be dog aggressive if she wasnt handled properly. I have a leash aggressive dog and i was wondering if you could offer some help on how to start fixing it. Later on in august I think i am going to hire a behaviorist ( just waiting for the money to be good enough) but i want to start to be able to get in under more control. If oyu could offer any help it would be greatly appreciated!

Sure! This is something alot of pit bull folks deal with. There might actually be a sticky on some of the forums about this which would save me typing a load! lol I'll go and see what I can dig up. :thumbs up

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I couldn't find anything on the forums, but I found this really basic explanation of teaching your dog to keep his attention on you while ignoring other dogs. I used a very similar method for my girl Venus, not because she was leash aggressive but she was VERY shy to the point that she would just shut down in public. She had awesome food and toy drive though so I could use this basic method with her to distract her from stuff that scared her. I used the same method with Tank as he's quite dog aggressive out and about with strange dogs. Once they master the command to watch you without distractions, and you get them out and about, you want to work them far from other dogs at first, and then gradually build up their tolerance and shorten the distance between your dog and other dogs. If your dog reacts, you went to fast, so just back up a bit and start at a more comfortable distance for your dog. I started out walking Tank across the street from these car lot guard dogs by my house, and gradually worked him up to being able to walk by them on the same side of the street, although he still whines as we go by, he doesn't try to drag me over to them! lol

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/dog-to-dog-aggression.html