Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What does all the regulars do for a living??

heidiho
July 12th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Just curious what some of you guys do for a living??/I am in the automotive industry>>>>

Lucky Rescue
July 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I used to be a floor trader at the Montreal STock Exchange, then worked for Merrill Lynch on contract. Contract ran out.:(

dmc123
July 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Not sure if I count as a regular yet, but I am a computer tech in North Carolina.

chico2
July 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Well,I am a cook,a gardener,a painter,a cleaner,a chauffeur,a bird-feeder,coon-feeder and a take-care-of-hubby-cats-person,in short I do not work anymore :D according to some!

Kona Dawg
July 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
In Tool and Die, main contracts being protection equipment for Bomb disposal, and Land mine fields. Here's a few links of our clients

med eng (http://www.med-eng.com/index.jsp)

eod (http://www.eodperformance.com/)

biokinetics (http://www.biokinetics.com/)

glasslass
July 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I retired after 30 years from the phone company. Grabbed the buyout, kept my benefits and ran for my life, laughing all the way.

Now a library/media tech at the community college library where I worked as a student in 1965-66. Came full-circle and I love it. I'm responsible for the Reserve Desk.

sammiec
July 13th, 2004, 07:12 AM
I am a cost estimator and field technician for a construction monitoring company at the Mississauga/Oakville boarder - most of my owkr takes me downtown Toronto. We specialize in monitoring deep foundation excavations in the downtown core. Our main objective is to protect the exisiting structures around the hole being dug.

If anyone spends time downtown TO, there is a very impressive job that we have been working on at College and Bay. The hole is 80ft deep and 75ft wide. VERY deep!!!

JKC27
July 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I guess I am a new regular. :)

I did mould design for 4 1/2 yrs, but didn't like it. Now I work sales/cust service for a small local electrical company.

heidiho
July 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for replys,i was just curious to get some of idea who i chit chat with here...

Goldenmom
July 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM
I have worked at a University library for 25 years. I am responsible for the electronic journals. I also own a home business selling Golden Retriever and Lab merchandise to the lovers of these breeds.

Heather

Princesss04
July 13th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I work at Prudential Insurance (I am a Marketing Assistant.) We deal with auto, home, health, insurance, annuities, IRA, and stocks and bonds. :D

heidiho
July 13th, 2004, 10:11 AM
How do you guys get to spend so much time with your pet??? I know if i ever get a pet again i cant get puppy cause i work 8:00 to 5:00...

mastifflover
July 13th, 2004, 10:18 AM
I work in the film industry I am an assistant production coordinator. I work in Toronto. 8-5 that is not bad we work minimum 12 hour days. So when I am working I have Buddy go for 1/2 a day to doggy daycare or if we are shooting nights I go home and bring him to the office once most people have left or there are only dog lovers left.

Princesss04
July 13th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I work 9:00 to 4:30, but on my lunch break (1 hour) I go home and play with CryBaby. Cats are alot easier to leave than a dog is. And, than Justin is home all morning with Cry (he goes to work at 3:00 p.m.) so than I am home by 4:45 so he is not alone that often anyway. We are thinking about getting another cat so he will have a friend but we will see. Justin would like to get a GSD but I do not know. I mean he would not be alone becuase one of us is always there but I am not sure if I want that big of a job. And although we are not pregnant anymore you never know and a puppy and a baby would be alot of work on me (more than that when we do have a baby it will be our first baby and I will prolly be ready to pull my hair out with it hehehehe :D ) because I hear puppies and babies are FULL TIME jobs. So we will see! :D

heidiho
July 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Oh my god they are,i cant believe how much time and effort it took to train him,i mean he caught on qiuck,but once he had to be on predisone,no way i would take him out to pee by the time i sat down he was peeing on floor,the pred makes them pee aloooottttttttt......I didnt have to work when i first got him thank god,but he was a gsd and let me tell you he is smarter than most people i know,great dog,i will someday get one again,i could not imagine a puppy and a baby unless i had a huge bottle of xanax or valium.....But gsd learn quick,he was potty trained by 2 to 3 months old....He had a few accidents but that was it..

cmt489
July 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I'm a lawyer in a downtown firm in Vancouver.

Re spending time with my pets, I have reduced sleeping time - LOL!! Truthfully, most things I do with people involve Oliver, my dog, and, if they don't, I make sure he is taken care of first. I also pay a dog walker to come and get him for ~3 hours a day (group walk that he LOVES). If I have to work on weekends, I either take it home (although Oliver ate my laptop and my new one is on its way but that is another story... :mad: ) or I bring him to the office with me. Nadia, my cat, is pretty self sufficient and actually seems to enjoy playing with Oliver now (much to her disgust..... ;) )

Michelle

WOODY
July 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I'm not a constant regular but I do bop in and out. Occupation wise I am an Architectural Engineer who reviews multi-story building designs before they are built and also does forensics on buildings that fail structurally either by forces of nature or man. Sounds bookish and dull and it can be but it is a living...LOL and at 64 I am not about to start a new career...
Woody

Cactus Flower
July 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Forensic psychology student/intern

I live out in the boonies and although we have a fenced front and back yard, the dogs could run as faaaaaar as they wanted and not have to worry about traffic or neighbors. Both stay very close to the house, though, and don't seem interested in roaming about. My Dane goes with me most everywhere that I do, as she's spoiled and has charmed her way into otherwise DOGFORBIDDEN zones. She is even allowed to sit with me on the outdoor patio at my favorite restaurant, and the waitress brings her little treats while I eat. My spitz just waits in her house (the entire underside of my front porch was converted to an insulated dog-house for her, complete with bed) until I come home. I have a house (and bed) for my Dane, too, but she very seldom uses it since she's with me most of the time. The spitz is NOT INTERESTED in riding in the Jeep with me UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM
God i was so excited when i got my apt,now i want a house or duplex so i can get a dog again,have a year to go on my lease though.I read all these posts you guys are so lucky to have huge backyards,i am jealous

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
God i was so excited when i got my apt,now i want a house or duplex so i can get a dog again,have a year to go on my lease though.I read all these posts you guys are so lucky to have huge backyards,i am jealous
Just because people have backyards doesn't mean they should have pets Heidi!! Your schedule and inability to provide the training that Damien needs is the reason that he had to go with the other dogs. Having a backyard will not fix these problems. I have an apartment and a prefectly content dog. She goes for walks and plays with other dogs and gets plenty of exercise, having a backyard doesn't mean that your pet will have a better life IMO - and before you freak - I'm not saying that Damien had a bad life that was a general comment and not directed to you.

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Ok,so what are you saying,you have no idea everything about damien,for all the bad i wrote here,you dont know the good,i spent 24/7 with him teaching him alot....And yes if i had a backyard,i feel i could provide a dog with a GREAT home.So what to you makes a person have the right to own a pet??????????????????/What makes you a great pet owner??????No sarcasm intended

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM
As you will see in the PM that I wrote you: the answer (so that everyone knows now...) I said was that just because you have a backyard does not make you a good pet owner...meaning simply that just because you have an apartment does not mean that you can not provide exercise and comfort for your pet! I was merly trying to suggest to you that you did what you could for Damien by giving him a place to run and play with other dogs and the training that he need by surrendering him to the resuce. I did not intend to say that you are a crappy pet owner because of this. I am not perfect. I will be the first to admit it - and if I was trying to pretend I was I wouldn't have shared past stories about my faults. Frig, everyone screws up sometime, weither you mean to or not. My Briggs just ate a container of liquid paper!! The cat knocked it off the fridge and Briggs ate it (The vet has been called and he is on alert 24/7 incase she does react to the liquid paper!!!) But if I was perfect I would not have shared that OR Briggs wouldn't have gotten the liquid paper!!! Just relax. :D

stbeachy
July 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Heidho....sammic I don't think was trying to be rude. He is pretty laid back and respectful....from what I have seen. I think he was just trying to make you think about your schedule more so, not meaning you are a bad pet owner. You said you were busy (and I know what you mean COMPLETELY) but that you would want one if you had a yard. If you are home in the evenings, then I don't see why that would be a problem....if the dog could be out for the day, but as you know too, puppies do take a lot of work. I was home with Dixie while I was pregnant and on maternity leave throughout her puppyhood. And Princess04, puppies and babies are a lot of work! :) Throw a (then) 3 year old in the mix and that spells EXHAUSTION! :) But we all get along, no more puppy stage too much and the 4 year old loves to play with the dog. As my 4 month old laughs watching them. Dogs are good for kids, and visa versa, (if you teach them). It IS possible, but at times difficult :) You are right for thinking it through thoroughly.

Heidho, I think you have a real place in your heart for animals. Don't get too worried about what everyone says, listen, take note, consider, and if we or they are way off on something, toss it out the window, for only YOU TRULY know your situation. Most people here are just trying to help with good intentions.

(As for me...day job, Admin Asst at an Engineering Firm, Mommy of a 4 year old and a 4 month almost 5 month old....Mommy to a Lab mix and a German Shorthair pointer.)

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I didnt mean by having a backyard that will make me a great pet owner,i am just saying i wish i did have a backyard so i could get another dog,i did feel bad damien didnt have a backyard of his own,and i wouldnt get another big dog til i can provide that,i believe that is the one thing i do need before i got another large dog..If i got another large dog...

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Heidho....sammic I don't think was trying to be rude. He is pretty laid back and respectful....from what I have seen.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!! Just so you know HE is a SHE!! LOL :D

stbeachy
July 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Woops Sorry!! ha ha....how we are quick to succum to conclusions! Even just by a name! (did I just prove one of my own points there?!?!) ;)

Heidho....I understand...IF you get a back yard...you will be one step closer, one less thing to have to worry about doing, and an inch closer to getting that dog! :)

You can tell you want one, so as a barrier is knocked down (such as getting a house with a yard) it puts you closer to that goal.

Understood!

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks,and i know what you are saying about puppy,i got damien at 7 weeks,and it was ALOT of nonstop peeing on carpet,cleaning,taking outside,training,then on predisone,that was a nightmare of constant peeing,i work now so a puppy would not work for me,as much as i would love one right now,i am not huge on the bar scene,so besides work,i am home,so the only thing missing is a backyard,which i know alot of people dont have and there is nothing wrong with that,i just want a backyard,so he could go run.The rescue lady said if she ever comes across a dog that would fit my life now she will let me know,but until then i will wait,i bought a fish and frog,that will do for now.

Goldenmom
July 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Holy! Here we go again! This thread is about "what do regulars here do..." Not bringing up heated issues AGAIN.

Heidi, give it a rest and quit trying to explain yourself. Some here do understand you, some don't and never will...

Heather

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Hijacked thread?

Goldenmom
July 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hijacked thread?

Exactly!! :confused:
Appears to be a regular occurance here.

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM
LOL, you're fun Goldenmom!!

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM
It is funny,i only said i am jealous that i dont have a backyard thats it,not bringing anything up,it wasnt a question,it was just a comment....jeez!!!!!

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I said FUN not FUNNY! :D ! And you said that you wished you had a backyard for the next dog that you're going to get. It creeps into everything that you post... This forum is for OFF TOPIC, not pets.

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 02:27 PM
So what,gimme a break,i cant say something in passing ,i didnt ask for a response you volunteered that yourself

lauriem
July 14th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Hi,
I worked for 3 years on board for a major canadian railway called "ViaRail Canada" serving food. Then I transferred for 3 years to their montreal reservation department. I have opted for a sabatical for the last 11 months, you know, trouble with those darned teenagers made me crazy! I figure me family dme home for this part of their life. I decided to homeschool my youngest- she's 9 years old- for the year. Now that i'm home and its summer everyone else is out working sleeping at frinds houses, playing outside.
life is weird
Laurie

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Well There Is A Good Mix Of People Here.......

Heather MH
July 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I vote that this site is changed to "heidi.ca" not "pets.ca" I come on here everyday often a few times a day, have receive lots of valuable advice, and enjoy it!! The Heidi needs consolation for everything in her life is getting a little old. Honestly Heidi do you have no self respect, do you love to air your dirty, irresponsible laundry to strangers on a daily basis.
Anyway I know I have not allowed myself to become as frusterated as some becasue in all honesty I do not have even close to the amount of knowledge or experience as most on this board. My point being that maybe I don't have a right to say these things but why do we allow one person to make this a less enjoyable place to come to. I will also admit that for a while it was commical to read. I looked for posts involving Heidi beacuse I knew there would be a fight.
Heidi I know you are going to say don't read it if it bothers you, because you have said it many times before. But you need to get it through your head that when you post on a PUBLIC board you are giving people the right to read and respond as they see fit, same as you can start a post as you see fit.
Enough said.

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 03:33 PM
You know what that is fine,but dont bitch to me when i resond back,if you didnt notice i did not ask a question,i simply stated i cant wait to have a backyard so i could have a dog eventually,that was it,i then had someone that felt the need to start sh** all over again,how it takes more than a backyard to have a pet,so if i feel the need to defend comments like that i will...enough said....

Missy
July 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Wow Heather, it's incredible how you took the words right out of my mouth. Some people just always need to have the last word, no matter what and can carry on forever (or until the thread is locked :p )

So what is weather like in Airdrie? I'll be heading out your way next week and I can't wait!!

Oh, and I'm a Ph.D student.

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 04:27 PM
enough with the childish swearing please, have some dignity. you keep getting warnings and still - you just don't get it... it's not necessary.

Heather MH
July 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
The weather is HOT in my opinion. Around 27-30 degrees C all week. I am going to stampede tonight with people from work I hope I don't melt. I like it to stay around the 20 - 25 degree mark not hotter.
Do you have family in Airdrie? That would sure make it a small world wouldn't it?

Since I got carried away in my earlier post I am a wire and cable sales person. That doesn't sound very exciting does it?

heidiho
July 14th, 2004, 04:55 PM
And some people have to just keep adding comments about it also and cant drop it....So lets drop it....................

Missy
July 14th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Yes, my grandparents/cousins/etc all live there. I don't get to see them as often as I would like since it can be so expensive to go out West. But I love it there, the mountains are so beautiful and Calgary is so much fun. I was hoping to go hiking up in Canmore but if it's that hot, maybe I'll take it easy but I can't wait!!

See, last word ;)

SSAC
July 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I am a Vet Tech -please don't ask for advice, it's unprofessional for me to answer and all I'd be able to say is.......If it concerns you enougth to ask, go and see your veterinarian ASAP. I'm on mat leave right now, but I normally take my dogs to work with me. It's nice to have them at your feet. (blocked off from the incoming animals). I have 3 dogs, so they take it in turn. I also have 3 cats, but they stay at home -indoors only. I've seen too many "hit by cars" (HBC) and dog attacks to allow them out. (mean mum).

So don't be surprised if I don't log on alot. I like to spend most of my time watching my 9mth old son bond with his pets. They love him! Instead of "a boy and his dogs"...It's more like "dogs and their boy!" They're all so very gentle with each other. But remember that no matter how good your pets are NEVER leave them unsupervised with children.

Thanks
SSAC :eek:

wAggie
July 15th, 2004, 12:13 AM
I'm an HR Administrator and darn proud of it. :D

I work various hours, since I schedule myself. :p
Some days, I am out of the house for 8 hours but I dont worry. Chocolate's got his dog companion, Honey, to keep him entertained (when they're not sleeping together :eek: ).

Seriously though, the days I choose to take off, the dogs sleep MOST of the day. It's shocking that me sleeping in and not being at work does not effect THEIR schedules. :p

heidiho
July 15th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Waggie that is so true,when i would have a day off and be with damien,he slept most of the time also...

Iggette
July 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM
I'm in the same industry as Chico.......lol

I am head taxi driver, I care, feed, and clean up after 60 some odd animals, chief houscleaner, bill payor, funds administrator, and general advisor and dilema or problem solver. (hey I should put this on a resume)

So, ya I apparently don't work.......I have volunteered my time for the old aged home in town and also local pet places but no one seems to need my help :confused:

Getting a job in the middle of no-where is difficult especially when you have dedicated the last 10 years of your life to ageing, dying parents. The employment industry seems to think I am in the pasture now at age of 41 :( so I am content to be there until the golden opportunity arrives and someone sees that I am a valuable asset, and hardworking reliable person that has been looked over......oh well so be it :rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
July 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Iggette, if you are a parent, you ARE a "valuable asset"- the most valuable of all! And taking care of the aging - wow! Raising kids and caring for the aging...you have nurtured people in THE MOST IMPORTANT STAGES OF THEIR LIVES.

Hats off to you!

(And please, don't say "well, my kids are grown now....". I'm 36 and whenever I am sick or have a big decision to make, or am upset, or even very happy about something- I STILL WANT MY MOMMY! :D :D :D :D :D
I'm thrilled to pieces right now that as soon as her house sells, she's moving in with me! I'm sure you are still, and always will be- needed.)

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Now that was a really nice post Cactus!!

I love my mommy too :D more then I could express in mere words!

Iggette
July 15th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Yes nice post.....Yes I must admit I too wanted my Mommy till I was in my thirties especially when I was sick :o I would drag the kids to her place and wala I could sleep there and she would care for the kids and the heck with the housework I wasn't home all day to do it.....lol Yes I miss my mom tons she was my best friend :)

And yes my kids are all grown, but make me feel very special wanted and needed they are 18 22 and 24 with 2 still at home....lovem dearly could ask for better kids. Can't say much for their fathers, but they good male guidance from the man that was in my llife for 11 years, they still talk to him and exchange presents on birthdays and fathers day so they were lucky in that sence......oh boy just thought of sumthin, I wonder how my daughters father is going to feel when she asks my ex to walk her down the isle???? :eek: I wonder, lmao :rolleyes:

Luba
July 15th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Oh dear maybe they 'both' could walk her down the isle :D

Catt31
July 15th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I'm a teacher!!! On a well earned summer vacation I might add!! Was a year from hell, and I don't see an end to the BS any time soon. And we have our loverly drunk premier Klein to thank for that!!! :mad:

During the school year, I leave for work at 8 and am home by 3:30 at the latest. Tim drives for a living, so he comes home at lunch to let Brick out and play with him for a bit! I bring my work home with me so I can spend as much time as I can with my fur, fin, and scaley critters and my man-critter!!! :D

chico2
July 16th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Well,Igette reminded me of a few other things mothers are,nurses,psychiatrists,rescuers,love-you-no-matter-what people :D
To all of you who still have your mom,my own died at 53,don't take her love for granted.When your mom dies,there is an incredibly empty space in your heart,one no one else can fill :(
Sorry about the sappy stuff,I am having a sentimental day and of course not all mothers are good mothers!

Iggette
July 16th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Awww thats ok chico sappy is good.... ;) I know what you mean about the empty space.

Luba .....not a chance in .....well you know :D There is no love loss between my daughter and her father for many a good reason I doubt she will even invite him :D This will prove to be an interesting wedding

heidiho
July 16th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Catt31 i always wondered do teachers have to get another job in the summer or do you guys still get paid on summer break??

Catt31
July 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Our salary is paid over 12 months, so yes, we do, in essence, get paid over the summer. It makes our monthly cheques a lot lower but it helps to have money over the summer!!! ;)

We can get jobs over the summer, but it really isn't worth it, as we get put into a WAY higher tax bracket and will get dinged really hard come April!!! Which is why, I just quit my fantastic part time job at a pet store.....its really not worth having the extra cash now. :(

heidiho
July 16th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks,i never knew that,always thought you guys probably didnt get paid for summer..

Catt31
July 16th, 2004, 10:41 AM
No prob!! Some school boards may be different though, that is just the one I work for. I know school assistants and special education assistants don't get paid over the summer, which is a shame!

heidiho
July 16th, 2004, 10:44 AM
teachers,cops and firemen are wayyyyyyyyy underpaid in my book...

Catt31
July 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I agree! ;) Nurses and paramedics too!!! And well, we can thank our lovely government for that!!! :mad:

Goldenmom
July 16th, 2004, 10:46 AM
For you women lucky enough to still have your mothers, please cherish each moment with them, as if there will be no tomorrow.

I lost my mother at the age of 65, I was 35. Very hard to take for a daughter. You may have little argements and spats, but overlook the small things, they won't be around forever. If she wants you to go to that garage sale, go! If she wants you to go to that auction, go! Won't kill you to make them happy, it means so much to them.

Take care,
Heather

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 11:31 AM
My mom is my closest friend. My husband says he knows what I'll be like 20 years from now just by watching her. She the Queen Mum in her Red Hat Society group! :D

wAggie
July 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Thanx for the tid-bit, Goldenmom.

My dad gave me a similar talk the other day when I asked how grandma was doing. His response was, "ya, you said you would call her months ago."

I lamely replied, "i didn't have the money" to which he said, "one day she's not gonna be around." and suggested i can come over any time to call from his place... :o :)

glasslass
July 16th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Take him up on it, Waggie. You can talk to 2 birds at one time! Grandma and your mom! :D

wAggie
July 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM
not quite, my parents have been divorced many many moons ago :)

I call my mama all day time (bc she bugs me to) J/K!! J/K!

She's got my every number yet still calls home leaving a msg, not bothering to call work. lol. :)

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
So you mean to say they really do over pay our polticians :p

melanie
July 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
can i just say yes i do love my mother, BUT OMG she is the biggest pain in the ass in my world i tell you. we are the two most oppisite people you could know, we dont even look alike, and sadly we dont agree on anything. it really amazes me that she is my mother sometimes, we are just that opposite, i never understood how someone can carry a child 9mths and look after it for their lifetime and yet have nothing in common or similar, just amazing, now i am sorry for the rant but i have spent the past 3 days driving with her for over 1500kilometers and i am jsut a little crazy now and my back teeth are ground down to nothing. mum is very sick and cannot drive so i have to do it all, so it was a very tiring exp, but i bit my tounge like a professional and swollowed all that stress into a little ball that will one day form an ulcer, ahhhhh, my sister was so proud of me, yay for me.
any way digressign again- welcome all our newbies, heeeellllooooo to you and yours, a lovely place you have choosen to visit, enjoy.
as far as working goes, ha ha. well i am an academic (or career student you decide), hah how hard do you think i work?? only joking :p . i am traditionally an environmental scientist but currently i work for my university as a tutor, i teach external students in 3rd year tourism, i teach people all around the world through my computer and they send work and exams to me for marking, interesting stuff, but i do think most of tourism is a crock of $%^& any way.but hey it is money. i make jewelery and sell it at weekend markets, i pick fruit if i can get the work, i pick anything from lychees to grapes and i look for any work around, do a bit of gardening ect when i can get it. but my main thing at the moment is my thesis, it is the center of life at the moment and i dont think of much else. i will be handing in in the first week of october and cant wait, it has been 1.5 years and feels like forever, my thesis is in the use of aboriginal tourism programs in NSW (you all squeel , wooooow, that is exactly what i wanted to do, how exciting) and it is sooooo boring it makes my hair limp :eek: but it is nearly done and a means to an end, it will give me my masters degree, i have been studying for 6yrs now and am a bit over it, but i have always worked at the same time so that keeps me going..oh i am the exciting one hey, not :eek:

wAggie
July 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM
looks like you typed all that in one breath, melanie!

I hope you make some "down" time for yourself (grab Charlie or da hubby for a snooze, i love that :p )

*hugs* from T.O. :D

glasslass
July 17th, 2004, 06:54 PM
What state are you in Laura? We finished Cherries in June!

Sneaky2006
July 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I'm not really a regular either but I'd like to say that I watch the families kids while they work.
And to whoever said about firemen, teachers, nurses not getting paid enough, that is so very true. My mom isn't quite a nurse she's a NA and she does SO much for that hospital and it's patients. She's also been working there for 35 years and getting paid the same amount that people get if they start there today!! I am so angry about that I just had to throw it in. She could honestly make more than that at walmart but she doesn't know anything other than nursing. Ughhh, sorry, wrong place for this. Cool thread though :)

Bill & Bob
July 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Well, I used to be a regular...now I just check in every few days to see what's up. Things seem to be carrying on as normal which is interesting to see.
Former social worker in the prison system, now a handyman of sorts. Building some stuff. Smashing down other stuff. Lots of fun. Great job since I can take Bob to work with me on most days. He just hangs out on the worksite. No more Bob on concrete days though. Customers don't seem to have the same appreciation for dog footprints on their deck foundation. Bad Bob.

melanie
July 18th, 2004, 04:57 PM
i can actually picture bob scratching out on a deck- BOB WAZ ERE 04 :D oh bad bob :p .
oh laura05, never picked cherries but would love to. wish we were in the same country, i would be there this afternoon. the drought has stuffed most crops so the work is crap at the moment, i have been picking wine grapes for $2 a box, and that is a big fruit box to. i consider myself a bloody good picker, and i never stop for a break at all, and i can only get 40 grape boxes in a day, it is sort of not worth the drive over there, but i do any way, i feel sorry for the slow pickers, some only make $30-40 in a day, poor buggers. did apples and peaches for a while but the drought killed that to, one farmer had to lay us all off, and on our way out the gate he was trying to sell the fruit to us he was desperate. so if by any chance i go to the us in the next day or so i will be there. i love fruit picking, i could never be in an office or inside, kills me, i like to be in the paddock and it is a very nice lifestyle too.
waggie at the moment it feels like life is happening in one breath, boy times flies. but i always stop to love and sniff the dog and family, but charlie is a little stinky at the mo:D

Bill & Bob
July 18th, 2004, 07:33 PM
If he scratches on anything it'll be his little habit of ripping up turf. Almost every time he pees or is just really happy he scratches the ground with his paws. He scratches so hard that I'm sure if it was my fingers they'd shatter!

The other day he caught a small rock and flung it so hard it hit my friend in the leg about 15 feet away. It ended up leaving a welt on her leg. Bad Bob. Almost resulted in her hiring Bob for some excavation work though! I chose not to tell her he'd already taken on that job earlier in the day in her garden. Thankfully she didn't notice the missing plant or the hole I'd filled in. Bad Bob.