Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A new door for Ethel..

phoozles
August 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
We went out looking for screen or lattice work today, and on the way to the hardware store we passed a garage sale, where they had an adjustable wire dog partition - I got it for $5 :highfive:

My FH is now working on building a frame for it. It comes up three quarters of the door way, so he'll be blocking the top with some wood as well.

I'm not sure if this is going to work - the squares in the mesh aren't big enough for any of them to fit through, but they could definitely get a paw through, so I hope there aren't any headlocks.. Plus Jake and Alley still get riled up any time they see a cat through our screen door and scratch and attack it - will they do that with this one? I have no idea.

I'll take pictures once we get it set up - it won't be for a few days as Ethel is still healing from her spay and we're heading out of town for two days to see my sister (and Squiggy and Violet!)

I really hope this will be a good step towards their integration - Ethel is still a little testy - she's taking to biting after a while, but I think it's just her anxiety of being alone in that room (I hope so!) - at least when the screen is up, she'll be able to see us in the other room.

I also received word that my Feliway spray is in the mail so it should arrive sometime this week :fingerscr

Wish us luck!

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I hope it works! :fingerscr At least if it doesn't, you're only out $5 and the price of some wood!

14+kitties
August 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
:fingerscr for you. It may take some time but I think just letting them see each other will eventually get them to the point where they can accept each other.
I am doing basically the same with Minimo in the catuary. I moved the large dog crate in and she can see without being hurt. Same the other way around with the rest of the gang.
Just a thought. Maybe after a while you could see about getting a large crate and doing the same thing? Not putting her outside but having her in the same room as the others and protected. I will let you know how it works for me.
Sending lots of luck your way!!

Hey!! Check out the wonderful site that Sugarcatmom recommended to dashi! It may help. Thanks Scm! You are great!!! I haven't read it all yet but it sure looks interesting.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
It certainly sounds like it will work......good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

phoozles
August 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks - I really do hope it works, and thanks for the link 14+ (through SCM), it was a really interesting read. Sounds like I've been doing everything right - it just doesn't seem like it sometimes :o

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Of course you're doing everything right :thumbs up .....some kitties just react differently than others. :shrug:

Good luck :goodvibes: and don't forget we want pics when you get it up. :D

TeriM
August 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I think the new door is a great idea :thumbs up, it will definately help push them to deal a bit with each other instead of just being able to hide from the issue. Good luck :fingerscr.

ancientgirl
August 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I hope the door works! I think it will help a lot. I'm crossing my fingers for all of you!

That site was great. I'm going to book mark it so I can read it through better at work. LOL, I get the feeling from reading that site my little Tortie is going to be in this integration process for a loooooooooong time.

Oh, I'm looking forward to a picture of the door once it's up.:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Good luck w/the new door :goodvibes::fingerscr just remember to rig it so you can open & still go inside the room :D

phoozles
August 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
We got the door made!

We just got back from a mini vacation, and FH finished putting the door together. He put together a dog/baby security screen and nailed it to some wood.. Right now we had to put a chair in front if it because we don't have a latch, but he says he's going to try and make something tomorrow. The room Ethel stays in has an alternate entrance, so we'll just have to keep using that as we always have been.

The chair is working right now - it gives Ethel something to hide under. So far there's been some growling, hissing and yowling but no puffy tails and no extra aggression.. We actually wanted one of them to lunge at the door to make sure it was sturdy enough :o (well, we didn't REALLY of course, but I would like to be home and in the room when/if it happens)..

Judging by the noises these guys have been making, it'll still take some time before they can be in the same room together, but I'm hoping this will speed up the progress. :fingerscr

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/thedoor-1.jpg

:offtopic: P.S. please disregard the wacky shingles on our wall - I told you we lived in a strange house! Those shingles actually extend over the length of one whole wall, and they were covering the back of the original door to Ethel's room! :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey looks good! I think that's going to help a lot in at least getting them familiar with each other. They'll be able to see each other and nobody will get hurt.

phoozles
August 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks - he's quite a handyman! Plus we know it's sturdy, because apparently while I was up here updating everyone, Ethel pulled on it trying to get out, but it didn't budge :thumbs up

The good news is that Alley came over to growl at her, and Ethel was slowly blinking, which I have read is a sign to show other cats that she is not a threat, so that's good news! (unless she's just setting Alley up :evil:).

Can you find Ethel in the picture? All you can see is her little glowing eyes :laughing:

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
LOL, I just saw her under the chair.

Oy, I've read that about the blinking too, mine all seem to just stare each other down.:laughing:

I'd love to have something a little more stable. But my screen does the job well enough. I really think this is going to help a lot with you in getting them integrated better.

rainbow
August 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
FH did a great job on the door. :thumbs up I'm sure that is going to help get them used to one another. :goodvibes:

Love the little glowing eyes. :lovestruck: :D

14+kitties
August 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
That is a wonderful door! Purrfect! Will let them see without injury. Now you just have to be patient! Tell FH good job! :thumbs up

allymack
August 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
thats a great door! i think it will really help to get them to get along better. :cat:

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Good job soon-to-be-Mr-Phoozles :thumbs up

krdahmer
August 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
That does look quite cool! And I love her peeking out from under the chair! :lovestruck:

FH did a great job! Oh and the shingles are cool... ;)

Love4himies
August 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
What a great door for introductions! Great job fh phoozles.

phoozles
August 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
It's been a few days since the door has been up. I've already seen some progress - Alley will now go right up to the door (before it wouldn't happen). There's still a lot of growling and hissing, but it doesn't seem to volitile.

I finally got my feliway spray yesterday. I spritzed main areas in Ethel's room, outside the door for Alley and Jake, and a few other places they like to hang out. Should I be spraying it other places too? How long does it take to kick in? Ethel hasn't been AS vocal since I sprayed, but Jake and Alley still seem kinda pissed when they get close to her door.

We've also taken to giving both sides treats - Alley will get close to the door - but sometimes she'll take the treat and eat it somewhere else. They growl while they eat (which is a funny sound), and we don't scold them while they do it - just talk in calm voices. I don't want to open the door until they can eat comfortably in front of one another without all the growling.

FH finally put a latch on the door, so we moved the chair, and I no longer have to go outside and through the garage in my pjs in the morning to feed Ethel :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
It's been a few days since the door has been up. I've already seen some progress - Alley will now go right up to the door (before it wouldn't happen). There's still a lot of growling and hissing, but it doesn't seem to volitile.

That's great news! I think seeing each other at least helps them associate each others smells with what they look like.

I finally got my feliway spray yesterday. I spritzed main areas in Ethel's room, outside the door for Alley and Jake, and a few other places they like to hang out. Should I be spraying it other places too? How long does it take to kick in? Ethel hasn't been AS vocal since I sprayed, but Jake and Alley still seem kinda pissed when they get close to her door.

I have some spray which I need to start using again. I think if you spray it in the areas you know they are in most of the time it should help. But the diffuser might work better since it will cover a wider area. I think it takes a few days to work though, but I'm not sure. I know Chico has been using the diffuser for a while so she probably knows better.

We've also taken to giving both sides treats - Alley will get close to the door - but sometimes she'll take the treat and eat it somewhere else. They growl while they eat (which is a funny sound), and we don't scold them while they do it - just talk in calm voices. I don't want to open the door until they can eat comfortably in front of one another without all the growling.

Oy, I do the opposite. When Czarina starts to growl and hiss I say NO. Maybe I should not do that and talk calmly. I try to give them treats all near each other. Czari still hisses and growls. I wonder if she will ever stop or if that's just how she will be.

FH finally put a latch on the door, so we moved the chair, and I no longer have to go outside and through the garage in my pjs in the morning to feed Ethel :thumbs up

I'm glad things are at least progressing in a good way.

14+kitties
August 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Takes a long time, doesn't it? :D I am letting MiniMo out of her crate for a while every day too. Letting her and the others get used to each other slowly. Lots of hissing and swatting but that's normal. I say No too to all of them but in a calm voice, not raised. It's a long long process but will be well worth our time and effort. Just keep up the good work and don't rush it!

Time is on our sides with this. Stick with it and great work both of you!!!! :thumbs up

rainbow
August 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Congratulations on the progress so far. :thumbs up

And, I think we need new pics. :D