Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid, stupid move

pitgrrl
August 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
This morning I looked at the weather trying to figure out if I should take the dogs to work or not. It was supposed to be hot and humid, which isn't so good for walking the dogs home, but there was a chance of thunderstorms, so I figured it was better to bring them than risk having Streets home alone and freaking out about a storm.

Once at work I kept checking the weather, obsessively watched the radar animation and attempted to calculate exactly the right time to leave as not to get stuck in a storm.

About 4pm it seemed like there were storms headed our way, but enough time to walk home before they hit. I looked out the window and noticed some dodgey looking clouds, but thought it would be okay, because clearly I'm a total. $%*(ing. Idiot.

So before I tell you what happens next, I must explain that I work in "The Village", meaning the gay village and it's pride weekend, meaning many of the streets are blocked to traffic, there are a ton of people walking around and police cadets directing traffic on every corner.

We leave work and get about 2 blocks away when a huge, loud clap of thunder causes Streets to freeze in his tracks and absolutely refuse to move. Of course he decides to do this in a pile of broken glass, leading me to desperately try to re-locate him to a less bloody paw inducing local.

I spend 10 minutes trying to spray Rescue Remedy in his mouth without making the cops think I'm feeding my dog drugs, waving a squeeky toy around trying to get him to move and explaining to all the passing people that I'm not crazy, homeless or abusing my dog in some way.

Finally I call the BF at work and ask him if he has any ideas. He says his boss would rather come pick us up than be at work, so if we can wait 15 minutes we'll get a ride home.

At this point I decide that if we're going to wait, we can't do it where we're standing, so I pick Streets up, say a prayer to the doggie gods that Basil won't do anything stupid, and manage to get both dogs across a very busy street and into the doorway of a store as huge black clouds come rolling in.
Basil, thankfully, stayed at a heel and listened perfectly to everything I told him while basically off leash. Apparently the doggie gods were listening.

Of course what follows is not just a thunderstorm, but a full show of huge bolts of lightening, crashing thunder, the whole bit. Streets was panting, drooling and freaking out so badly that I actually started considering what I would do if he had a heart attack. But before I could spend too long on such morbid thoughts, he decided to try and bolt, but only made it as far as the hair salon next door.

Luckily the stylist who was outside smoking like the dogs and let us wait there. Streets smooshed himself into a corner to continue panting while all the hairdressers came to the window to look at him and Basil stole the squeek toy out of my back pocket and proceeded to squeek it over, and over, and over while the stylist guy told he about his Boston Terrier named Maui.

Our ride did finally show up and we got home where Streets finally started to calm down. I'm hoping this didn't set us back a couple of years in terms of all the work we've done on Streets vs. The Storms, but regardless I'm having a drink in preparation for tonights fireworks :frustrated:

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
so I pick Streets up,

:eek: you picked him up ? How much does he weight ?

This could happen to you pitgrrl :laughing: :sorry: we still have nothing in my area , other than a few drops earlier. Maybe I should start them on rescue remedy right away :frustrated:

pitgrrl
August 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
:eek: you picked him up ? How much does he weight ?

50 lbs........under one arm.

And yeah, why do these things only happen to me? I really want to know.

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
50 lbs........under one arm.
ouch !

Because you live in Montreal :laughing:

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I got caught here once , in the wooded area with Bailey , Daisy and a foster. Bailey and Daisy were off leash and just ran back to the house :laughing:

Lise
August 2nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Poor you thunder storms are no fun to be caught in with a phobic dog,Tess has been out with me in a few this summer.She turns for home as fast as she can.This summer has really sucked for her.

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Oooooooo...another chapter in Basil and Streets Adventure Book! :D Thunderstorms! :eek:

As stressful as it must have been for all of you, I must say you spin it into an entertaining tale! You really should write that book!

You can follow it up with the coffee table version: The Big Book of Basil and Streets! :thumbs up

I hope it wasn't a setback for Streets, though, poor guy. We have a few stormphobic dogs here, too. It's painful to watch them tremble. :sad:

Good luck with the fireworks tonight! :goodvibes: Too bad there aren't ear plugs for dogs!

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
Oooooooo...another chapter in Basil and Streets Adventure Book! :D Thunderstorms! :eek:

As stressful as it must have been for all of you, I must say you spin it into an entertaining tale! You really should write that book!

You can follow it up with the coffee table version: The Big Book of Basil and Streets! :thumbs up

YES !!! :thumbs up

Because I agree with Hazel and you must start writing a book. :thumbs up :fingerscr :goodvibes:

And, give Streets a big hug from me :grouphug: and Basil too just because he's just as handsome. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Hye pitgrrl , how was it last night ? I saw on the news that Montreal got dumped on (rain) A LOT ! :eek:

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM

Great story as usual! :thumbs up You handle yourself so well in these situations. :D
As to why they only happen to you? They happen to us too. Well, me at least. :rolleyes: We (I) just can't spin them into interesting reading for everyone.

pitgrrl
August 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
And, give Streets a big hug from me :grouphug: and Basil too just because he's just as handsome. :lovestruck:

Oh, Basil gets away with far too much because of his good looks as big brown eyes :rolleyes:

Hye pitgrrl , how was it last night ? I saw on the news that Montreal got dumped on (rain) A LOT ! :eek:

Well, with much jumping around, squeeking of toys and singing stupid songs I got him out for about 10 minutes. Then we had to go in and wait out the fireworks, which Streets wasn't too pleased about, and then finally at 11 pm with a lot more jumping, squeeking, carrying, running and generally looking like a total freak I got him to go for a little walk.

I really can't wait for fall though, summer is just too ridiculous and exhausting :laughing:

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
and then finally at 11 pm with a lot more jumping, squeeking, carrying, running and generally looking like a total freak I got him to go for a little walk.

Being your neighbor must be very entertaining :laughing:

Chris21711
August 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM

Poor Streets :grouphug: I agree with Hazel a Coffee Table Version would be perfect, seriously :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
oh poor Streets :grouphug: at least they didn't both completely freak out :shrug: :o :grouphug: Good boy Basil :pawprint:

hmmmmmm.......book.......yes definately :thumbs up