Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

LeStat

Luvmypitgirls
August 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well unfortunately LeStat is still in his old house because the pet store sold his new house to someone else:frustrated: Even tho it was ordered for us:wall: I got the call it was in, drove to the city but an other employee didnt realize it was on hold and sold it to somebody else:frustrated: So there is another one on order for us.
LeStat is an albino corn snake, his eyes are cloudy right now because he is setting to shed his skin. He didn't like being bothered for pictures so I only took a couple.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/Rotti35/WendellandLestat031.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/Rotti35/WendellandLestat030.jpg

rainbow
August 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not much of a snake person :o ......they're cool to look at :cool: but I'm glad he's yours. :D

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Pretty cool snake LMP. I had a friend who had one , don't remember which breed but it was big ... the big ones I like because they move real slow , and they are so soft to the touch too , even if they look slimy , it's not the case at all , pretty cewl :thumbs up!

chico2
August 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
LMPG,I think snakes are beautiful actually,but I would not have one as a pet,do you feed him live mice/rats???
No offense to you,but I think all snakes belong in the wild,although I am sure you take really good care of yours.

Luvmypitgirls
August 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
LMPG,I think snakes are beautiful actually,but I would not have one as a pet,do you feed him live mice/rats???
No offense to you,but I think all snakes belong in the wild,although I am sure you take really good care of yours.

Chico, I am LeStat's 3rd and last owner. He belonged to my son before me, when he moved back out he left LeStat behind, because he really doesn't have time to dedicate to him. He got him from an old boss, who gave him to my son because he just didn't want him anymore:rolleyes:

LeStat, was eating frozen with his original owner, when my son got him he stopped eating from the stress of the move, he was advised to feed live.
I fed him live up until his last feeding, I tried frozen (thawed) and he had no problem eating them, we just dangled them and made them look alive and he went straight into hunter mode and ate them. So from now on it will only be frozen/thawed for him. I always cried and felt extremely guilty feeding live, I don't particularily like mice but I hated feeling like an executioner.
With frozen/thawed, I feel much better with having him around.

I too think snakes belong in the wild, I wouldn't go buy one by any means or take one out of the wild.
LeStat was a hatchling in captivity.

I don't know if he could just be released in the wild now, and I'd be afraid of what fate might await him out there. He really likes ppl, when he isn't in shed mode or hunt mode.

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
LeStat, being albino, likely wouldn't make it in the wild, anyway. :shrug: But he's very handsome :flirt: I want to reach out and touch him...he's got beautiful skin, even if he is getting ready to shed!

Do you save the castings?

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Stunning, stunning animal!

Luvmypitgirls
August 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
LeStat, being albino, likely wouldn't make it in the wild, anyway. :shrug: But he's very handsome :flirt: I want to reach out and touch him...he's got beautiful skin, even if he is getting ready to shed!

Do you save the castings?

He is kinda pretty isn't he, for a snake:laughing:

No I don't save his castings, I might keep one eventually.

Luvmypitgirls
August 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Stunning, stunning animal!

Thank you!:)

allymack
August 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I love snakes they are just so much fun, i would love to have one, but i dont htink Nero would be too please with that, although it would entertain him. How old is he?

Luvmypitgirls
August 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I love snakes they are just so much fun, i would love to have one, but i dont htink Nero would be too please with that, although it would entertain him. How old is he?

He's 2, still a young one. According to the book I bought he could live up to 25 or so.

chico2
August 3rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
LMPG.Oh no,he would for sure not survive in the wild and I am happy for LeStat that he is in his forever home:thumbs up
I petted a large snake at a Reptile-Exhibit in South Carolina and was amazed at how soft he was.
I also don't think I could feed any animal live creatures,I save bugs out of my pool every day,even give them mouth-to-mouth:laughing:

FancyAppy
August 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
He is quite amazing. He looks almost like glass.Very beautiful. You are taking such good care of him. He is so lucky to have found his forever home with you.

Luvmypitgirls
August 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I save bugs out of my pool every day,even give them mouth-to-mouth:laughing:

Omg Chico...:laughing:

ancientgirl
August 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
He's quite stunning. I love touching their skin. The last time I went to the zoo some of the keepers were walking around with snakes around them.

That's too bad about his new house. What morons though. Did they not think to put a sold sign on it once it got there?

Frenchy
August 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I save bugs out of my pool every day,even give them mouth-to-mouth:laughing:

Omg Chico...:laughing:

:laughing:

But Chico2 , you can buy frozen mice for pet snakes , but I don't know what difference it makes for the snake between having dead or live ones. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Cool :cool: snake, neat how he still has a very faint pattern. Are his eyes red or white?

Luvmypitgirls
August 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM
:laughing:

But Chico2 , you can buy frozen mice for pet snakes , but I don't know what difference it makes for the snake between having dead or live ones. :shrug:

Actually there is a big difference as I've recently learned. Live mice can actually end up hurting the snake, gouging eyes or biting, if the snake doesn't grab it the right way and the mouse could actually kill the snake.
Plus, even if the pet store guarantees their mice to be disease and parasite free, a lot of times it's not really the case. Mice can carry mites which can end up killing the snake if not treated soon enough, also mice can carry tapeworm which is dangerous to snakes and humans. With frozen mice it's a non issue.
Also, frozen mice don't give out death squeals which always made me bawl my eyes out.

Luvmypitgirls
August 4th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Cool :cool: snake, neat how he still has a very faint pattern. Are his eyes red or white?

his eyes are red, however at the moment they have a whitish/bluish hazy look because he is about to shed. Otherwise they are almost ruby red.

chico2
August 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
LMPG,I probably would go for the frozen ones,but I suppose they have to be defrosted before feeding:shrug:
Also the snake does not eat every day,right???
Could he not eat chicken-breast and things like that??

Luvmypitgirls
August 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
LMPG,I probably would go for the frozen ones,but I suppose they have to be defrosted before feeding:shrug:
Also the snake does not eat every day,right???
Could he not eat chicken-breast and things like that??

The frozen mice are thawed for a couple hours, but any parasites or disease is still dead.

No LeStat doesn't eat every day, he eats once every 7-10 days. At that time he gets 4-6 hoppers.

I don't think he would eat chicken breast or things like that.