Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I travel w/ my cat?

dashi
August 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
As some of you know, recently one of my babies was diagnosed with renal insufficiency. My hubby and I go back home to visit family from time-to-time and with a baby on the way, I know those trips are going to increase.

Right now we have a pretty standard cat carrier and we just do not think it will suffice for hours of driving with our Jess.

Can anyone recommend a good, comfy, carrier for a cat?

Also, how do we solve the bathroom issue, if he has to go? There is usually, at least, 4 of us in a vehicle, not leaving much room to put a litter anywhere...

As well, Jesse HATES car rides, he yowls like crazy. I think he associates them only with the vet and when his original owner took him to the humane society - so negative associations.:sad:

We don't have a car of our own, so we cannot get him used to car rides.

What can I do to help alleviate his stress?

Thanks!

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 03:03 AM
Can you get a friend, neighbour or relative to come and feed Jesse while you are gone? What are you planing on doing with Fidel and Orlando?

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Some members have been using Rescue Remedy (http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/) to calm anxious pets. You can purchase at holistic vets or health food stores.

I would also mention the trips to your vet to be sure that he is aware of the stress this may put on Jesse & might recommend extra subq treatments.

dashi
August 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
We don't have anyone to watch the kitties when we all go back home. Plus, Jesse's treatments are pretty extensive and it definitely would be best for his flesh parents to give it to him.

We will be going away for just the weekend soon. Fidel and Orlando are fine on their own. We leave plenty of food, many bowls of fresh water and nice clean litters for them when we go.

I will definitely check out Rescue Remedy and talk to my vet about Jesse's stress and see what he says.

Any ideas on how to travel with him? Is there a good carrier that anyone could suggest? What about the bathroom issue? It is a 3hr drive...

Thanks!