Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Turkeys, chickens...what next for Storm?

Gail P
August 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
So he likes to move chickens and turkeys around, and I'm pretty sure I posted pictures a month or two ago of him working sheep, so what's next?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF3866.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF3867.jpg

Geese of course! Storm and Rain have both done some work on sheep and now they're starting to work geese, which will hopefully turn into a new business venture for us. We have a problem with nuisance geese around town and the township hasn't yet figured out what to do about it. Enter Rain and Storm (hopefully, if we get hired) to do goose patrol. I'm supposed to go talk to council about it, but that's not until the end of the month. Goose dogs are a widely accepted method of dealing with geese, hopefully the council agrees that this could be a good solution to the problem. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Good luck with the council, GailP! :goodvibes: :fingerscr

allymack
August 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Good luck with the coucil Gail!

Gee i should send Enzo up there to help you ( even though you probably dont need it with Storm and Rain, but moving geese and ducks is one of Enzos favourite things to do, and he wont stop no matter what untill their gone ( although i am working on getting him to stop chasing them and come back to me..but its hard to break a BC's concentration:rolleyes::dog: )

rainbow
August 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cute pics of the goose roundup :D and good luck with the council. :fingerscr

My siamese x walks with the goose flocks around here. :rolleyes:

Chaser
August 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
That's such a great idea! They could end up being very important doggies around town :D

And I can send Chase to help too.....he HATES geese, especially when they talk back to him. Samer goes for pigeons! :laughing:

Gail P
August 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Good luck with the coucil Gail!

... moving geese and ducks is one of Enzos favourite things to do, and he wont stop no matter what untill their gone ( although i am working on getting him to stop chasing them and come back to me..but its hard to break a BC's concentration:rolleyes::dog: )

That's where having other livestock to work with first is a help. From the time they're puppies my dogs go out to the chicken coop with me doing chores and they learn "leave it" and "out" so they don't hurt the chickens (or geese, as the case may be), and they leave the coop when told. When I decided that I'd like to pursue goose control I also took them to a sheep farm to do some herding and practice moving around dog-broke sheep. Mine also need to know "leave it" and "on by" for when we're sledding and carting. Can't have them taking off and flipping the sled or cart if they see something they might like to chase. One day when out carting I think we saw 3 different rabbits and the dogs were really good about it. I was like "Ahhhh! On by!" and they did. :thumbs up

BC's like to work so much, maybe you could try asking Enzo to "do" something (a command, trick, whatever) instead of chasing the geese and ducks if he blows you off. If you've done any clicker training that could really help. Even if you haven't you could give it a try. Start out away from geese and other distractions and click if he makes eye contact with you. Say his name and when he looks at you click (and always treat after the click). Take it slow and make sure he's got his full attention on you and then click and treat. When that's well established ask him to do something he knows, then click and treat. Pretty soon he'll be watching you trying to figure out what might get you to make that wonderful clicky noise that means treats. Clicker trained dogs can get very intense, but if he's got that attention focused on you and not the geese then you should be able to get a better recall. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Cool! How great is that that some dogs still get to work! I used to cart with my dogs years ago. I'm hoping to get back into doing it again soon! :thumbs up

SolaMio
August 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Can I ask a silly question? Are the geese a nuisance because of noise, or overpopulation, or other reason? We just don't have a lot here, and so I'm wondering what makes them a pest in other places...

Chaser
August 2nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Can I ask a silly question? Are the geese a nuisance because of noise, or overpopulation, or other reason? We just don't have a lot here, and so I'm wondering what makes them a pest in other places...

I would say the MASSIVE amounts of poop they leave behind is often a reason! :yuck:

Gail P
August 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
They each deposit in excess of 1.5 pounds of feces daily. (I've been doing some research and some sites say 1-2 pounds, some say 1-3 and one even said 1-4! Most seem to agree on about 1.5 though) Our town has spent a lot of time, effort and money creating a scenic "river walk" along the river bank in the downtown area and before it's even done people aren't using it because it's so messy. Also, at Rotary Beach there are warnings posted that the water quality may be unsafe for swimming due to high bacteria counts. Aside from the goose poop problem, they're troublesome on golf courses too because they cause a lot of damage from overgrazing when there are high numbers. The problem is perpetuated by the fact that on average they raise 5 young per nest, and they tend to return to the area they hatched to raise their own young. So if you were to start with 20 breeding geese (10 pair), they'd raise approx. 50 young, for a total of 70 geese by the end of the summer. Next spring, most of those 70 return, but even if only 50 did, found mates and raised young, that would be another 125 goslings (25 pair x 5 young per nest) added to those 50 breeding birds =175. Multiply by 1.5 pounds of feces per day and you've got geese dumping about 263 pounds of poop per day. :yuck: Care to walk around the park barefoot or let your toddler play on that beach? The township has acknowledged the problem and is looking for a solution, which I hope to be able to help them with.

Oh, and SolaMio, you may not have a lot yet but give them a a few years, you will. My dh's grandparents had a beautiful picture hanging on their apartment wall. It was of the lake near their apartment, taken in early morning with mist rising off the lake. At the shore of the lake stood one pair of geese, the first pair to come to that lake. I'm not sure how many years ago that photo was taken, but the goose problem there reached the point that this summer I heard they (the town) had the geese rounded up and removed. Don't know where they took them or what they did with them. Geese are migratory birds though and I expect that unless they were culled that they will be back again, either once they regain flight after their moult, or next spring. Driving through that town just the other day I already counted 33 again, but they had young with them so I know they didn't fly back already, they must have been hidden away nesting somewhere during the roundup.

FancyAppy
August 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Wow what interesting facts about geese. I had no idea. We have some geese at the pond bordering our property and I enjoy watching them. They do not venture far from the water .
Your idea is a great solution and I hope your council will agree.

glasslass
August 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
This thread reminded me of a older couple who were on the news last Spring. Evidently they have a pool and thought it was really cute when a pair of ducks decided to raise a brood of ducklings there. They fed them and enjoyed the babies until they grew up and left. All good. They put up with the poop and cleaned the pool after they left. The next season they returned for another brood. Some of the babies also came and it became a family reunion with grand-duckies, great-grand-duckies, great-greats, etc. until every season they had hundreds of ducks visiting their pool. They weren't too happy about it anymore. Needless to say, they stopped feeding them.

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Awwwwww :cloud9: Storm hard at work :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for the council Gail, I'm pawsitive the dogs would love the work :D