Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ready to look into rescue - please help!

JennieV
August 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone,
You may or may not remember me, I used to spend time here about a year and a half or two ago...My personal life became full with events, most of them not good, which didn't leave me much time to myself (so I kind of forgot the computer even exsited). One of the events was that my sweetie Tarzan (pomeranian) got very ill and almost died. I don't want to go into details, but he was put on heavy meds, which gave him this 1.5 extra years with us. Recently at the age of 16 years old, he stopped responding to meds he was taking and I had to make what was the most diffucult and painful decision of my entire life and say good bye to him. :rip: I still cry at night because I miss him so much and I don't think I will ever be "over" this.

What actually gives me hope and cheers me up a little is the fact that I can now look into rescuing another dog (Tarzan was a stray that I picked up). Its not that I want to replace Tarzan, but that I am rather ready for some positive vibes and some cheerfulness and giving my love and care (and home and food..) to another dog that needs it.
So I would like to look into rescuing another dog. It has to be a "small" dog, as that is what I am allowed in my rent contract. Tarzan was not a typical Pom, he was taller, reached me just below the knee. As well, I would like to have a younger dog, because I just can't go through another death at this point. I also have a cat, that gets along with dogs just fine.
I always had a soft spot for Papillons (I would actually prefer one), Shelties and Jack Russells. Activities is not a problem, I am used to having to walk the dog at least 3 times a day, plus we get away to the country place every weekend, where the dog will have a place to roam freely and even swim.
So I guess I am asking for your help to try and find a match, I am open to suggestions and instructions as to what to do. I would rather not go to SPCA at this point, I don't think I can handle seeing all of them in their cages.

Boubou
August 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
So sorry for your loss Jenniev....time will certainly help with the pain, but the memories will live on forever!

I volunteer at a shelter and we have a very sweet Papillon as well as a few pomeranians. It is an SPCA, but don't worry about seeing any in cages - they're all loose during the day! It's a little crazy in there sometimes, but they have so much fun together! Let me know if you'd like more info on these dogs...

JennieV
August 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Boubou...I appreciate it. Is there a website for your location? We don't mind travelling to meet the doggie, and we are in Kingston area every month, sometimes twice a month...
I really wish I could take in a larger dog, I had a Black russian terrier for 13 years and I miss having a big dog, but due to the restrains of the lease - I can't.

Also, I have been looking on Petfinder and I have a question: do I have to fill out the application first and then inquire about the dog that I am interested in??

Boubou
August 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Here is our little Lakita - she's a one year old Papillon.

Usually we have potential adopters fill out an on-line adoption application which I can send to you if you're interested. We're on the south shore of Montreal...
Hope you like her!

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my three old girls all in one year so I feel your pain. Good luck on your search for a new best friend. Getting my girl Scarling really helped to heal my broken heart. :)

SolaMio
August 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Here is our little Lakita - she's a one year old Papillon.

Usually we have potential adopters fill out an on-line adoption application which I can send to you if you're interested. We're on the south shore of Montreal...
Hope you like her!

What a cutie, I want to hug her!!! :lovestruck:
If a little face like this one can't heal a broken heart...

JennieV
August 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Oh, she is so cute! Boubou, I PMed you. :thumbs up

JennieV
August 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Just an update, we went to see the doggies at the SPCA Monteregie, but unfortunately no click. My husband didn't feel any connection to this little girl (Lakita), and we decided to keep looking at this point.
I guess when its meant to be - we will know it in our heart.
Some of the dogs were just gorgeous and if I didn't have size limitation stated clearly on my lease :wall: - we would have gotten one for sure, he was such a sweet dog, must be a german sheppard mix, so quiet and gentle :angel:, but would not step away from me for a second, always asking for my hand to pet him...:cloud9:
And the other one, what a character! the whole time he was bugging me to play ball with him, but would not let me pet him. It felt good to be out and see all these doggies. It actually made me feel a little better.
So here's hoping for next time....:fingerscr

happycats
August 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
You could try searching www.petfinder.com

Frenchy
August 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
JennieV , you have to understand that these dogs are not being themselves , they were dumped and then put in a place with many other dogs ... sometimes in cages.

I'm just saying ... they can look like they're not affectionate , but once home they are whole different dogs , you know ? :o

JennieV
August 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Frenchy, I do realize that these animals have been through hell, that most of them are defensive and confused, but at the same time its not just my decision and if my other half says he doesn't like the dog - I can't force him to start liking it just because I do.

And I do realize that once at home, most of these animals will change their behavior, but in order to want to spend time with the dog you have to like it.
Its a decision that has to be made together and the last thing that I want to do is to put more unnecessary stress on the animal if the arrangement doesn't work out for whatever reason.
So like I said, we will keep looking.

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
JennieV, have you tried any local Rescues that have dogs and puppies placed with foster homes? If you want to see and hear about how a particular dog does in a home environment, a foster family can give you all sorts of details pertaining to their temperaments, personalities, and behaviors. And you get to spend time with them in more calm environment. Just another option :shrug:.

Do you need help finding the different Rescues in the Montreal region?

JennieV
August 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
luckypenny, that would be great! I would love to have some way to know who is fostering who and maybe that route will be more successful. We are in no rush, still getting over the loss of Tarzan, but we will be exploring options and looking out for the perfect match for us.
The problem is that aside of SPCA I don't really know how to approach these organizations, Tarzan was a street rescue that I brought with me when I moved to Canada about 9 years ago.
So if you could help me with that kind of information it would be great. I am willing to invest time in this and go certain distances to get to the dog, will answer any questions gladly, but my husband has to be part of that decision, as we are a family and will be looking after it together.

luckypenny
August 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Rosie Animal Adoption http://www.rosieanimaladoption.org/index.htm
SPCA Montreal (Foster Department: 514-735-2711 ext.2237)
Gerdy's Rescue http://www.gerdysrescue.org/
Teddy's Canine Railroad (I'm fostering a pup for this org. presently) http://www.teddyscaninerailroad.com/home.cfm

...are several in the Montreal area that use foster homes. There are others, you just have to call for info ( http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?action=location ). I would recommend that you fill in application forms on their websites (the rescues you're interested in) even though you don't have a puppy/dog in mind yet. This lets the rescues get to know you a bit better and will help speed things along when you do finally meet the pup of you and your dh fall in love with :cloud9:.

If you need more help or info, please don't hesitate to ask.