Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chew suggestions

Dingo
August 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm looking for an edible chew for my dog. He's a pretty powerful chewer, and I'm looking for something not too junky that's also fairly long-lasting. He has plenty of non-edible chew toys, but I'd like to give him something edible once in a while too. Any suggestions?

allymack
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
I would suggest a real bone. You can get them just about anywheres, if you go to your butcher they will mostly likely give you one for free ( i mean they are throwing them out anyways) just make sure oyu get an appropriate size for your dog, and make sure to supervise him when hes chewing on it. They really love themespecially when there is a little bit of meat left on them:dog:

TeriM
August 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
I occasionally use bully sticks http://www.bestbullysticks.com/ like these . They are generally the strongest and longest lasting but are quite expensive especially for big dogs ($5-7 each).

One of the best options is to get some kongs and stuff them with yummy food. I find peanut butter or cheeze whiz is a good quick fix or sometimes I mix up some other stuff and freeze them. When they are frozen they last quite a while and it is a cheap alternative :thumbs up.

allymack
August 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Oh good thinking TeriM i forgot about kongs, i dont know how htough, Enzo always has one of his in his mouth:rolleyes: Something i put it his kong is a little dab out peanut butter to fill the hole ( the small hole, at the small end of the kong) then i freeze it for 20-30 mins ( you really want it frozen) and then i mix some water and chicken bovril together and i pur it in the kong ( that why its important to have the peanut butter really frozen, so the chicken water doesnt leak out) and then i put it in a cup ( to keep it standing straight [ i put the peanut butter end dont in to the glass...obviously :p]) Then i let him have it out on the deck..so he doesnt make a chicken puddle on the carpet.

TeriM
August 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
One of my fav kong recipes is mushed banana, plain yogurt and a bit of peanut butter. I also often mix in some cat kibble to give some crunch. I make 3 or 4 kongs and then freeze them. You can also use regular kibble to stuff the little hole if it is the right size :thumbs up.

TeriM
August 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Another great quickie kong is to buy frozen meatballs and stuff them in the kong. You can microwave them quickly to defrost a bit or just stuff them frozen.

Dingo
August 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
The frozen meatball idea sounds good!

What sorts of bones would you recommend? He's under 20lbs, and can chew through anything.

clm
August 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
I give my guys bullysticks. Yep, they're pricey. I buy either 21 medium or 11 large ones if they don't have the medium ones every week. You usually get a break on the price a bit if you buy more than 10 at a time.
They each get one whole medium one or 1/2 of the largest ones every morning. They love them.

Cindy

Dingo
August 2nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
What about those "dinosaur" bones?

TeriM
August 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
For a smaller dog I would use beef ribs or lamb necks. You need to beware of the big soup style bones as they can easily break teeth. Some dogs are easy chewers and don't have issues with the big bones but others (mine) will break teeth on those.

You also need to watch for digestive (loose poops) with bones. Start by giving them for shorter periods and work up to longer times as permits. Recreational bones should also always be monitored when given.

SolaMio
August 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I like bully sticks also, and RollOver makes them a little cheaper, though they're not as large. They still do last a while though. I also like "tartar" bones- which look like they might be a cow patella or something like that, they're roundish and have a lot of meaty gunk on them. They last a loooong time, so long that Sola loses interest before they're fully chewed. You can re-interest by putting some peanut butter in the cracks. :D I've been told it's important that all bones be roasted so they don't splinter and hurt the dog.

allymack
August 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Where can you get the Bullysticks?

Dingo
August 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I notice no one mentioned rawhide. Some people think they're not good for dogs. Any comments?

allymack
August 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
If you looking for a rawhide to give hime often get all natual ones, dont get any commercial made ones. Althoguh i do have the purina ones they are called Eez chews.. or something liek that, in a red box, and i give Enzo one about once a week, I will never give him more than two a week, just because they arent that good for him.

allymack
August 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
ouu, i remeber they are called Chew- Eez..close enough though :o

SolaMio
August 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Where can you get the Bullysticks?

I get them at either the pet store (we have an independent retailer, not a chain here- small town), I asked them to bring them in if they could. They're $1.99 each. Wal-mart carries the roll-over ones, 4 in a pack for $4.99 I believe. They are sometimes called "pizzle sticks"- sounds a bit more like what they actually ARE :laughing: