Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull ban with teeth demanded-NDG-Montreal

poodletalk
August 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
NDG residents are trying to ban pitbulls from going to a local dogpark for the fear of the dogs are going to hurt the young children and small dogs who frequent the park reguarly.

If you don't think it's fair to sterotype pitbulls like this, please read the article and submit your comments to the newspaper.

http://www.themonitor.ca/article-235907-Pitbull-ban-with-teeth-demanded.html

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
I wonder what breed it will be after Pits. People just get stupider and stupider.

kathryn
August 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
So stupid. I prefer big dogs. I mean I work at a shelter but I sorta refuse to work with the dogs because dogs in general get on my nerves now :laughing: Cats are quieter.

Anyways, little dogs are ANNOYING. 99% of the time the owners NEVER train them properly and they are horrible little brats and I'd like nothing more then to punt the dog across a parking lot. The dog will stand there going YAPYAPYAP and it's "cute" when they try to rip my ankle to shreds.

People never train their little dogs properly and they are way more of a menace then a pitbull. I've never had problems with large dogs snapping at me or going after me. I find things like yorkies and mini poodles to be 100x more vicious.

If you train your dog properly that's all that should matter. Big dog or small dog.

luckypenny
August 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Any and all dogs with aggressive tendencies towards children and other dogs should be banned from dog parks. And what brilliant parents would bring young children to a dog park?? I don't know about that particular park, but the one here in Brossard has 20+ dogs at any given time with at least 75% of the owners chitchatting with each other and not supervising their dogs. Not only is that neglectful, but putting a child in that environment? Wow. A dog park is for dogs, not children.

I think it's in Westmount that there are parks in a common area that are divided. One for children, one for small and/or young dogs, and one for large dogs. That makes more sense, doesn't it?

Dorothea
August 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with you Luckypenny!
Dorothea and Lisa

Frenchy
August 1st, 2008, 11:54 AM
And what brilliant parents would bring young children to a dog park??

Exactly :frustrated: and now THEY want to ban this one breed ? How about banning their kids , under 3 yr old from kid parks , or blond kids , yep that's it , no blond kids aloud in kid parks just because I have heard they are just too hyper ! :rolleyes:

:wall:

aslan
August 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
Nono frenchy the blonde kids are dumb, its the brunettes that are hyper. I agree there should be an age limit for children in the dog park area, i've been in the bath of a good case of the zoomies with my 3, can't imagine a dozen or so plowing into me, let alone a small child.

As for small dogs, there are some owners that put as much effort into teaching there dogs as we do our large breeds. But i must say that 9 times out of 10 if my quincy has a confrontation with another dog, it's someones kleenex box cover with legs yappin away at him. None of which is an exceptable reason to ban one specific breed from enjoying the same freedoms as all the others.

Gramma martha's little one bites somebody and nobody does or says anything about it. One of our large dog, pit bull or not bites and omg, the media is involved, it suddenly becomes a pit no matter what and they must all be locked away until they die. omg, people need to take a reality check.

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
I've never said this to anyone. Actually the only people that know are my dad and my deceased mother. When I was little, I was visiting a friend who lived in the apartment down the hall from mine. She had a dog, I can't remember what his/her name was but I remember it was white with I think beige coloring. He was the size of a Jack Russel Terrier. Well she left me alone in the kitchen with him and as I went to pet him he started to growl and came at me. I had to climb up on to the kitchen table screaming at the top of my lungs for my friend to come and save me. Had I not climbed the table and had my friend not come fast I know he would have bitten me. As it was she had to block him in the kitchen while I ran out.

A small dog did that. Not a large dog, not a pit bull, no, it was a small mixed breed scruffy looking dog. I've never held that moment in my life against any dog, especially a small dog, but I have seen from my own experience that a dogs breed doesn't matter in the least when it comes to being aggressive or attacking someone.

wdawson
August 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
i think they should ban dog parks.......they are a problem waiting to happen , just too many stupid people out there. :rolleyes:

t.pettet
August 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Dog parks should be divided into 2 sizes, one for the large breeds and one for the small, otherwise a catastrophy waiting to happen.

kathryn
August 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Dog parks should be divided into 2 sizes, one for the large breeds and one for the small, otherwise a catastrophy waiting to happen.

Good point... I guess it makes sense. You wouldn't put together a bunch of teenagers and toddlers in the same area and expect everyone to be happy. I could see some people might see it as discriminating, but I don't think it is.

But big dogs vs. big dogs is a catastrophe too. I guess it's more of a fair fight then a big dog vs. little dog though.

I've never been to a dog park in my life though. If your dog can't behave properly then don't go to one. I get mad when I'm at a regular park or public place and some little brat is torturing me. Keep the misbehaving animals/kids at home

Kashi
August 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
And what brilliant parents would bring young children to a dog park??

I do. Regularly.

BruceCCC
August 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi evryone am new, in ndg, and i have a pittbull, in the dog park on fielding, other master dont let me going in the dog park, because i have a pitbull, if i go at the dog park on st-joseh, evrything is good,

And my pitbull have 1 years 1/2. is very friendly with other dogs, or peoples,
Evrybody thing is the must dangeous dog, Sorry evryone, is not the must bad dog, the must bad is the littel dog, Chiwawa, that dog, is so malicious,

Before i live at st-leonard, and that district, put a law, to stop personne have a pitt, or a breed, with pitt,

i start a pitition, for ask at the marie of montreal, to let the pittbull alone, and dont put a law, to dont have this dog,

And in the futur, a going to return at the dog park in ndg, i hope, the people,, going to think differantly,

P,s: And i have a kid, with my pitbull, and is the gardien of my daugther

and sorry for my bad english,....

pitgrrl
August 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm really curious how they would plan on enforcing this in any meaningful way.

First and foremost, who and how would they be identifying "pit bulls"?
Would it take a complaint? And to whom? Are the police going to start becoming breed experts?

Perhaps the City of Cote St. Luc has money to burn and they plan on having a dog park monitor? In that case, what will their qualifications be to id breeds? Will one have to present papers to gain access to the park? .....and of course, this would beg the question, why not just enforce an all breed ban of dogs who have shown either human or dog aggressive behavior?

This is such a ridiculous idea, for many reasons, but especially since it's absolutely impossible to enforce, so what's the point? :shrug::yell:

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i think they should ban dog parks.......they are a problem waiting to happen , just too many stupid people out there. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one!

pitgrrl
August 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm with you on that one!

Personally, I wish they'd just replace dog parks with individual runs. I'd give my first born for that :laughing:

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I was so thinking that when they started talking about banning pit bulls from dog parks here! Wouldn't that rock! It might not be that far fetched a plan. I bet rescues, local dog folk, etc... might be willing to get in on some fundraising. :thumbs up

luckypenny
August 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Personally, I wish they'd just replace dog parks with individual runs. I'd give my first born for that :laughing:

Hmmm, now that we have that in writing, if your firstborn happens to be a girl, you can use our yard and we'll take her. Deal :D?

pitgrrl
August 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hmmm, now that we have that in writing, if your firstborn happens to be a girl, you can use our yard and we'll take her. Deal :D?

I'll give you Steve for use of your yard, he's a hard worker and I'm sure he'd wear a dress if you really wanted.....:laughing:

luckypenny
August 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Now how can you compare a grown man to a baby? Oh, wait...ok, I can see it now.

:laughing:

kathryn
August 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I do. Regularly.

I'd imagine the problem is parents who would let their child run all over the place and with other peoples dogs.

If you brought your kid to a dog park and stood there with them to let them throw a frisbee for the dog to catch, that's fine.

Letting them run rampant, possibly messing with other peoples dogs.... that's a disaster waiting to happen. I've never been a parent or been to a dog park though. But I'd imagine that yeah it would be not the best idea to let a small child run around there at all.

Chaser
August 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Well I definitely have strong opinions on kids in dog parks after my lovely experience of one smacking my dog :frustrated: but I won't reiterate that here.

What really makes me mad is that in Ontario pitbulls have to be muzzled (bad enough), but in my hometown of Woodstock, ON they are banned from the local dog parks - even now that they're muzzled!!!! Talk about kicking a dog (breed) when it's already down eh? :wall: What can I say? They're all a little backwards in Woodstock (and I'm allowed to say that because I lived there for 20 years!)

Rottielover
August 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I did my part, I wrote a long educated letter to the reporter, as well as sent in pictures of Kayla with Princess, and kayla lying down between 2 rottweilers.
If this does not get their attention, I do not know what will