Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Pup, Need Help Badly!!

Morgansdad
July 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hello,
I know alot of people post and have a lot of things that can be answered in the FAQ's but I would like to explain my personnel suitiation to see what would work the best for our family. Basically we just brought a pup home from the S.P.C.A, he was abandoned, left for dead almost, dehydrated, malnourished etc. Almost thought it was Parvo(it wasn't), good news is we brought him back from it all and now he seems to be healthy, active, eating drinking the whole nine yards. Problem is they told us they thought he was only 6 or 7 weeks old. I know that too young but again remember the suitation. So we have him gated off in the kit/hall area to the upstairs. His food is on it's own plastic mat with food and water which he uses fine, away from that is his bed which we just purchased( although he seems to like under the kit table) and then about another four feet away is his newspaper area. He seems to go on the paper about 3 or 4 times out of 7 on it. Picked up some spray scent for the paper seems to be helping and always giving him praise when he goes properly. Throughout the night however he goes 1 or 2 times in the kit itself. Our basic goal or wish when trainings done is to have a house dog, who enjoys the outside and trips but who is trained to go outside. We would like the dog to be able to go eventually anywhere in the house but not eliminate everywhere. Here are my questions->

1. Can I start to crate train him now even though we been doing this routine for the week we had him?
2. What's the best way to start since he's so young?
3. Do the training pads work better than paper?
4. When and how do I start to train him for the outside?

Everything I start to read online is all about older dogs because of course you shouldn't have a dog as young as he is so I'm stumped on how to approach this. I need help please as we love him so much already!!! Thanks.

aslan
July 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, One of the first questions i have to ask is what breed of dog, is it a pup thats going to grow into a large dog, or small breed.

Yes you can start to crate train him now, but you need to remember he is only little and his bladder and bowels aren't able to hold it for a long period of time. You will need to get up durring the night to take him out to do his business.

You can start right now taking him outside.Make a big fuss of praising him when he goes outside. I can't really help you with the pads vs paper issue, i've never used either. Made no sense to me to teach him one thing, to just confuse him with teaching him something else later.

Hope this helped some.

14+kitties
July 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM
I can't see why he can't be trained the same as an older dog/pup. Yes, he's younger but why start him on a track you don't want him to continue on?
I know I will get jumped on for this but IMO papers and training pads are a lazy man's way of training a pup. Why do you want an animal defecating and urinating in your house?
I think if you take on the responsibility of an animal you should be willing to put the time into that animal and train them properly right from the start. A pup needs to go out after a nap, after feeding, after playtime. There will be accidents. Do not punish him for them. Just take him out to the area you would like him to use outside and praise like crazy when he is successful. Like I said, this is just my opinion. I am sure others will come along and tell me why I am wrong. :rolleyes:

As to how - it's been a long time since I trained a puppy. I will leave that up to people who have done it more recently.

King
July 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I have a puppy who is 3.5 months got him when he was almost 7 weeks we live in a apartment and I work during the day, so I have puppy pads placed by the patio doors as well as the front door yet he does his jobs right beside them I have been taking him outside from day one he goes outside about 4 times a day and everytime he outside he does both jobs only one accident per day soooo good. If you want a dog that goes outside you should start now you need to stay outside until he goes no exceptions take him to the same spot everytime. If you want to crete him he is to young to be expected to hold it all day or night. This is from my experience............hope this helps

kigndano
August 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
i started a thread called "PUP#1..."

theres some really good links in there to read.

bendyfoot
August 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yep, that's a young little guy, but there's no reason not to train him to go outside right away...the sooner you break the pottying indoors habit, the bettter. Now, what's your schedule like during the day? Is someone always home, or does someone come home from work for breaks or is the pup always on his own during the work day? That's likely going to affect how you make this work. In our case, we both worked during the day, so we had to make a slower transition from pads to outside, but it worked just fine for us.

We used pads and paper at first...lost of paper in case she missed the pad, with scented pads on top of the paper (better for absorbing pee).

He's going under the kitchen table? He's making himself a den, so he'd probably love and benefit from a nice cosy crate he can use as a den. It will also be a valuable training tool for the potty training.

allymack
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hello,

1. Can I start to crate train him now even though we been doing this routine for the week we had him? For sure!!
2. What's the best way to start since he's so young?They same way you would start and 8 week old pup ( if you want an explanation on that i would be more than happy to help you out)
3. Do the training pads work better than paper?I never used either..i watched for signal, he only ever had about 3 accidents in the house
4. When and how do I start to train him for the outside? I would start to train him to go out side right away.

Everything I start to read online is all about older dogs because of course you shouldn't have a dog as young as he is so I'm stumped on how to approach this. I need help please as we love him so much already!!! Thanks.

you can train him to go outside the same way as online says, its the same method. take him out 20 mins or so after eating or drinking to relieve himself( also he might not go right away as soon as you take him outside, so wait it out, that is important, because if you dont wait it out, he will most likey get inside and pee right away, at that young age he will definately have to go 20 mins after eating) also when he first wakes up, before he goes to bed, before your going out anywheres. Just constantly watch for his peeing and pooping behaviours. When he does relieve himself outside, praise him like crazy give him a treat and a little play. Also while he is in the middle of peeing or pooping outside, put a command on it like "go pee" If he does have an accident inside, do not punish him for it, trust me he has noooo idea hwta he is in trouble for. If oyu catch him in the act of doing his business inside said "ah ah" pick him, up and take him out side to finisih.

To help stop the accidents at night, take him for a short walk ( to tire him out) come home let him have a drink and then take the water away between 8-9 ( depending an when he and you go to bed) take him out for a pee and he should be pretty much set to sleep the night away.

hope this helps, if you have any questions as to what i said, just ask :)

BenMax
August 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Allymack makes excellent points. The key to house training is to be consistant and to set a routine. Never scold, yell, hit a dog for making a 'mistake' - it happens and is part of the process. You need to study your dog and you will know all the little 'signals or signs' when he needs to go outside. Also key words such as 'outside', 'door' or whatever you want will provide the association between business and where it is to be done. Also key words should be used to let the pup know it's time to relieve themselves. Use positive reinforcement when he does go outside. I always make a big deal out of it.

I personally do not believe in paper training though I used to do this in the beginning.

Everyone has their own way of doing this. It can take a while (depending on the dog) but with patience and understanding it will happen quicker than you think.

Good luck.

Morgansdad
August 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the help!! Appreciate it!!!

Soter
August 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Here are my questions->

1. Can I start to crate train him now even though we been doing this routine for the week we had him?
2. What's the best way to start since he's so young?
3. Do the training pads work better than paper?
4. When and how do I start to train him for the outside?

ans to 1. I think it would be a change for the pup, but i don't think that there is any harm in crate training him now.

ans to 2. food food food just about all dogs looove food. If that doesn't work, try a toy.

ans to 3. It is a bit more expensive to use pads than paper, but except the pee soaking through the paper and not the pads there isn't much difference

ans to 4. Now is the best time to start training him for outside. However young, you really really don't want to start bad habits. a dog doesn't know the difference between paper and the floor, and if you start paper training him now, there is a chance he will not take to outside, and will go all over the house, paper or not.

If you have any more questions, post!!! :grouphug:

soter