Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Today's annoyance.. grrrr.

SolaMio
July 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Says here this is the spot for rants, here goes....

So let me just give some background. This relates to Sola (11 month old mal/lab cross). Sola stays home while DH and I are working, like most doggies.

-While we're at work, she stays in her kennel, which is the correct size.

-I come home *every* day for lunch, I'm fortunate that I live very close to my work (read: pretty much across the street, 8-10 minute walk, 1 minute drive, 3 minute bike ride).

-I consulted this forum and other resources before kennel training Sola, I wasn't sure about it and we hadn't kennel trained our Saints (I don't think kennels come in fridge size :laughing:) so it was a new thing for me.

-Sola seems to genuinely like her kennel. I do not (usually) have to coax her to get in when I'm leaving for work.

-I play with her during my lunch hour, feed her and let her out, and give her attention obviously.

-She doesn't spend more than 3.5 hours in the kennel before I come home and let her out to relieve herself.

-I don't want to leave her in an outdoor enclosure yet all day alone. I don't think she's ready for that (too young), and also I don't have the fencing yet. DH is planning on building one for us next spring. This is something we have talked about and will do when the time is right for Sola and for us (financially)

-Sola gets a nice long walk in the park after I'm finished work.

Anyway yesterday I was stuck in a meeting and couldn't leave. As a result, I was a bit late getting home for lunch. Sola had tried really hard to "hold it" but had a little #1 accident, "aimed" outside the kennel. I felt terrible (and she probably did too). This was the first time this happened since I've had her.

I was a bit late getting back to work and explained to my colleagues what happened (none of them are my boss) and their reaction really surprised me: "Well you leave her in a tiny cage ALL DAY LONG..." Basically implying that my kennel training is cruel... "Why don't you fence your yard? MY dog had a three room dog house and a steel fence..." What they were describing would cost us (without labour) about 2K to do properly, considering the size of our yard. I just do not have that amount right now, as I said earlier I am saving to do this in the Spring. Even at that, I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving the her outside all day :sad: even though it seems that's what everyone is trying to convince me of. I know not everyone agrees with kennel training, but I didn't like being made to feel guilty when the person probably did not understand the method. :frustrated:

Thanks for letting me vent :yell:

TeriM
July 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
You know you are a good dog mommy, don't let uniformed idiots try to tell you differently! Crate training is a great tool and only you will know when your dog is ready to move to the next stage of freedom. My Riley outgrew his crate at about a year (needs one of those fridge sized ones you mentioned :rolleyes:) and we graduated to leaving him in our bedroom with a baby gate and now at age 2 he has the freedom of the house. I do lock him back into the bedroom on days where he will be alone for longer periods as I don't want to completely tempt fate :o.

SolaMio
July 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks, TeriM. I knew people here would understand :o
I don't like being made to feel like I'm cruel or negligent in any way shape or form to my "kids"... They are basically my life and I think long and hard about my decisions about them. Hopefully most are informed, but I don't think I'm a perfect dog mom either. Just trying my best with what I know/can afford/can handle. :rolleyes:

aslan
July 31st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Solamio, i'm with TeriM, ignore these people. Your dog is much safer in the safety of your home than should would be outside all day. She looks at her crate as her den, it is safety to her. Our quincy just graduated to being given free rain of the house at just past 2yrs old. Even now, he goes to the kitchen when he knows we're going out. He went from a crate, to the kitchen to being free. Outside, she would have to deal with the elements, heat, cold, rain etc. What you're doing is perfectly fine and don't let others make you feel guilty.

joeysmama
July 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Ignore idiots. They're just buttinski's who are trying to make themselves look better by trying to make you look bad.

Sola is in a safe place and she's happy there. I hope that no one takes offense at this but I would be nervous to leave my dog outside alone, even with a fence. I know that a lot of people do it. I'm sure that those of you who do are very aware of who comes around and how much freedom your dog needs etc. I'm not criticizing AT ALL. I'm just saying that keeping Sola in the crate seems like the safest thing for her and not at all cruel. She's getting plenty of love and attention when you're there.

Cooper isn't crated anymore when we're out but when he sees us leaving he climbs in his bed and is almost always cuddled up there when we come home. They like their "cribs" so they can snooze and dream about their humans while we're gone.:)

jessi76
July 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Crate training is a fairly new method, so be a little understanding of that. My parents never crated the dog we had when I was a kid... and it ate the coffee table... lol... however, now that I'm grown and they have a new dog, it IS crate trained.

I've noticed those who understand it call it a crate, and those unfamiliar w/ the method usually refer to it as a "cage".

I'm sure the members of this forum could give you a good long list of destruction, injury, and tragedy that can happen when a pup who should be crated, isn't.

SolaMio
July 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone :o
I try not to let the criticism get to me... But as with many of us, it's like a little nagging itch :laughing:
I agree, I think it's a safe place for Sola, especially with her being so young. My next goal is to convince DH that leaving her outside all day isn't cool (to me.. I'm with joeysmama, hope no one takes offense who does this). My concern is also for the :evil: who steal dogs to either breed them or do cruel and unusual things to them. DH thinks this is not an issue since she isn't a purebred dog. :frustrated: I think that if someone is nutty enough to steal a family pet they either don't care if it's purebred or decide for themselves that it is based on a few characteristics (ie- big black dog = black lab). I hate being so paranoid, but I don't trust people, generally :rolleyes:

SolaMio
July 31st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Crate training is a fairly new method, so be a little understanding of that. My parents never crated the dog we had when I was a kid... and it ate the coffee table... lol... however, now that I'm grown and they have a new dog, it IS crate trained.

I've noticed those who understand it call it a crate, and those unfamiliar w/ the method usually refer to it as a "cage".

I'm sure the members of this forum could give you a good long list of destruction, injury, and tragedy that can happen when a pup who should be crated, isn't.

I know what you mean, jessi76.. I just felt kind of attacked by three people at once who automatically assumed I was being negligent or something. My parents never crate trained either, and I think they thought I was nuts for doing it, until they saw my aunt and uncle who are far more experienced dog owners doing the same thing. Even now every once in a while mom will say, "Oh poor Sola, in that little cage..." :shrug:

Luvmypitgirls
August 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Sola, I just want to share this with you.

A very good friend of mine, built his prize Rotti (this dog was amazing and oh so handsome) a dog run in his yard,equipped with grass and peagravel and a very lovely dog house. Also a gate at one end locked with a huge heavy duty paddlelock.

Against everyone's advice he put Brutus, in the run one day while he was at work. Usually he was left in the house, but my friend felt that since it was Spring Brutus would enjoy the fresh air.

Our friend came home, went to get Brutus out of the run, but Brutus was gone. Someone came into his yard, cut the chainlink and took Brutus.
Brutus loved ppl,he was very trusting, he would follow anyone to the ends of the earth if it meant he would get a treat or a cuddle. Brutus was 2yrs old.

My friend, devestated by the loss, called the police and shelters and rescues to keep a watch out. He was told by the police that dog thefts were on the rise and it didn't matter much the breed.

This turned out to be true, his neighbour, had their dog, (chocolate lab X) stolen one week later.

Neither dog has ever been seen since.

I don't know where you live, but this could happen anywhere.
Please don't listen to ppl that say having your dog in a crate while you are at work or anywhere else is cruel, it is infact the safest place for your dog and your dogs health. Yes, sometimes accidents will happen, but cleaning that up is a small price to pay to ensure your dog is happy and safe.

My dogs are crated every time we leave the house. They are each given their nylabone, so they don't get too bored.
It's great that you can make it home during your lunch to let your dog out and give her some attention, you are doing the best thing for her, trust me on this.

As long as her crate is never associated with punishment, she will feel safe and comfortable in there.

SolaMio
August 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Sola, I just want to share this with you.

A very good friend of mine, built his prize Rotti (this dog was amazing and oh so handsome) a dog run in his yard,equipped with grass and peagravel and a very lovely dog house. Also a gate at one end locked with a huge heavy duty paddlelock.

Against everyone's advice he put Brutus, in the run one day while he was at work. Usually he was left in the house, but my friend felt that since it was Spring Brutus would enjoy the fresh air.

Our friend came home, went to get Brutus out of the run, but Brutus was gone. Someone came into his yard, cut the chainlink and took Brutus.
Brutus loved ppl,he was very trusting, he would follow anyone to the ends of the earth if it meant he would get a treat or a cuddle. Brutus was 2yrs old.

My friend, devestated by the loss, called the police and shelters and rescues to keep a watch out. He was told by the police that dog thefts were on the rise and it didn't matter much the breed.

This turned out to be true, his neighbour, had their dog, (chocolate lab X) stolen one week later.

Neither dog has ever been seen since.

I don't know where you live, but this could happen anywhere.
Please don't listen to ppl that say having your dog in a crate while you are at work or anywhere else is cruel, it is infact the safest place for your dog and your dogs health. Yes, sometimes accidents will happen, but cleaning that up is a small price to pay to ensure your dog is happy and safe.

My dogs are crated every time we leave the house. They are each given their nylabone, so they don't get too bored.
It's great that you can make it home during your lunch to let your dog out and give her some attention, you are doing the best thing for her, trust me on this.

As long as her crate is never associated with punishment, she will feel safe and comfortable in there.

Thank you so much Luvmypitgirls. I agree with everything you've said. :thumbs up
Poor Brutus though :sad: That's tragic. I don't think I could get over that if it happened to me...
There are just too many what ifs when leaving the dog unattended IMO.
-What if she somehow dug her way out despite our best attempts at a good enclosure, and got hit by a car, or got scared and bit someone or scared them, or got picked up by the SPCA
-What if she was stolen as you said, and then who knows what happens to her
-What if she got too cold/hot/wet even with her insulated dog house
-What if she barked all day and annoyed the neighbors (I'm sure we'd hear about it)
The list could go on......

Sylvie
August 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Here's my:2cents: on the subject.

Life is full of if's and I beleive that every post you have read here says it like it is. So many people are against crates, thinking it is so cruel, yet these same people are the first to strike the dog for chewing their furniture when it could have been prevented in the first place.

My four are older now, so do not use the crate, however, I notice that they will find their favourite spots, i.e. under the desk, table or the little place between the wall and the furniture in the bedroom. They like to have their own den, it makes them feel safe.

So keep up the good work and it is a small price to pay cleaning up their accidents. :thumbs up

Love4himies
August 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
I know a lady who bred prize boxers and she was crate training 20 years ago. I too thought it was cruel until she explained to me that a dog is much safer in a crate, than to have free run of the house for them to chew everything, including electrical wires, toxic items, etc. After that, I thought if I had a dog, I would be doing the same thing. Not all people are doggy smart and need to be explained reasons so they too understand.

She also was lucky to live only five minutes from work so she could go home at lunch to let her dogs run.

allymack
August 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
A dog is much safe in a crate. You are making the right choice by keeping him safe. If he had a doggy door to outside, he could be stolen, attacked by another animal, bark constantly and annoy neightbur ( which leads to more problems) and so on. Also if your house isnt fairly celan ( not implying that yours isnt.) there are lots of things a dog could get a hold of and destroy and also harm himself. I dont think crating a dog is cruel in any way. When Enzo had a crate, he thought of it as his own place, he would go in there by himself when he wanted to be left alone(not very often) like after day care, when he was too tired to even move, so he knew he was safe there and wouldnt be bothered. So keep it up and ignore oyur co workers

ancientgirl
August 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
I don't have dogs, and my cats have run of the house. But, if I did have a dog, I would most likely lean towards crate training too. I have a friend who has 3 dogs and all of them are crated during the day. I hated the fact there used to be days before her BF moved in that she's leave her dogs in their crate from 8:00 to 11:00, she now no longer does that.

You don't leave Sola in his crate all day and you are able to take him out and give him breaks. People don't know how destructive a dog left home can be and many of those who talked down to you have probably never had to come home to destruction. They are lucky enough to have their fences and outside dog houses. But I would not feel comfortable leaving my dog out in a yard either. Ideally if I ever did get a dog, I'd like to even have a little patio area that was covered and even maybe build a large fence for them in there. They'd have plenty of room, be under shade AND be safe from anybody getting at them.

Your a good mommy, they don't know your life or how you are with your little guy. Don't listen to them.