Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mini schnauzer skin disorder/bumps

Ric
July 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone, my first post and I hope someone will quickly respond. We have had 4 mini schnauzers throught the years and all have had somewhat dry skin disorders and occasionally some bumps that appear at first touch to be a tick, however they are not. Our current schnauzer has developed an area about 3 sq. inches on top of rear spine area that is full of these so called bumps. They are small BB sized raised tufts of skin and hair much like a scab and they do itch. If I take a finger nail and scrape them off, it will leave a small red area about this size of this "O" or smaller (no blood) much like scraping off a 90% healed scab. They seem to be nothing more than a piece of dried skin with hair follicles attached but yet they are raised bumps that are very easily felt by petting. Any suggestions on treating or preventing are appreciated. As I mentioned, every one of our past mini schnauzers have had this but not to this extreme. I gave him his first fish oil capsule today. I read a post about this helping the skin and coat. Ric

hazelrunpack
July 31st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the board, Ric.

Probably seeing a vet is your best bet. It could be so many different things... Until you know exactly what's causing it, you won't know how to treat it.

MIA
August 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM
I agree a trip to the vet would be a good idea or even post a photo if you can. Have you gotten your dogs at the same breeder each time???

mafiaprincess
August 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Are they sebaceous cysts (otherwise known as schnauzer bumps)? Cider had one as other breeds can get them. Was hard to see without parting her fur, but was easily felt. It came out with some massage. I had a standard schnauzer owner show me some older healed sebaceous cysts on her two dogs. Pain in the butt problem, but thankfully not a scary one.