Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sleeping cat bolts from room

nbahr
July 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
My 5 yr old male tabby cat can be in a very sound sleep when suddenly and violently he will bolt from the room. When I find him he looks scared but seems to be ok.This has happened 4 times in the last four days.I,m concerned about sleep apnea or breathing problems.He is a large cat weighing 18 lbs. He doesn,t have a cold or wheezing or eye matter or anything that would lead me to believe he is sick in any way.Has this ever happened to your cat and did you find out about it.Need some of your thoughts.Will not wait too long to see a vet.Thanks much!!!

PS, His name is Arthur

kathryn
July 31st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Animals do get nightmares. Could be he hears something you are not hearing, like a high pitched noise from an electronic. Perhaps the water heater makes a funny noise when it starts up lately and scares him. Or the air conditioner is vibrating. It could be any number of household things that are sending off vibrations that are freaking him out. If he is sleeping on the floor, he would of course sense vibrations that you wouldn't since you are in a bed or on the sofa.

It's more likely he's having a reoccurring nightmare. I find my cats running in their sleep from time to times, as well as making strange noises. When I can tell they are having a bad dream, I wake them up like a parent would do to a child. So yes, animals can have night terrors and they do get scared just like children :)

maybe take him to the vets for a quick exam to make sure he hasn't got a snotty nose that he's choking on mucus in his sleep.