Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

As requested by Aslan

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ok so some of you may know i want to put Enzo in agility. Well the only problem is his on leash aggression ( i knwo he wouldnt be on a leash, but you know..) So we are practicing a few of the things at home. We started out with the poles on the ground and then slowly moved them up to the height they are at now, so he built up the muscles necessary to do it, i dont want to injure him:dog: oh and dont mind what i use to make the jumos and what not,..we had it laying around the garage..:o

The jump ( which sometimes we split in to two, to make a little bit of a combo type thing)

On his way down form a jump..looks a little devilish:evil:

In mid air.

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
On the table, waiting to go again:dog:

In the hallway

Ouside, in the sun

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
a few videos of the day..a little dark though

Poles..well pylons:o

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l412/allymack_01/?action=view&current=randoms779.flv

sit, stay..rolling ball

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l412/allymack_01/?action=view&current=randoms780.flv

up on the table

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l412/allymack_01/?action=view&current=randoms775.flv

Frenchy
July 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
On the table, waiting to go again:dog:

I love his expression in this one , such a big smile :D :lovestruck:

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yay, i love when i'm pushy and get my way. Hims is some handsome. Looks a little possessed in the one, but handsome all the same.

luckypenny
July 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
That is absolutely fantastic Allymack :highfive: . Good for you and good for Enzo :angel: . You really have, and continue to work, hard with him. You should be so proud of yourselves!

I love the "stay" video. Too cute how Enzo's just leaning towards the ball but waits for your release :cloud9: .

I see he doesn't realize he's supposed to wait until he gets out of the water before he shakes :D . All our dogs just came charging at me during the lake video. I was all confused until I heard you blow your whistle the second time :laughing: .

It's wonderful to see the two of you enjoy each other so much.

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys!

LP i really do love spending time with Enzo. If i could i would take him with me every wheres, i know he would enjoy the so much. But for right now that isnt an option but hopefully, it will be someday. That way i know he isnt sitting home bored.

Yah, he really doesnt understand the whole 'get out of the water before you shake' thing, i mean he stays about the same wetness, maybe a little less on top, silly boy:dog:

Frenchy
July 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yay, i love when i'm pushy and get my way.

Then you should try this on LMP , there seem to be a lack of pictures of her fuzzbutts ....:D

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
yes boss, i'll get right on that. hmmm we haven't seen emma lately either.

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I like the table smile, too! :lovestruck:

You've used materials in your course very creatively! :thumbs up I can't see the videos, though, :frustrated: so forgive me if they've already answered the next question...:o Do you have a course set up outside, too? Do you have a tunnel, yet? Got any ideas on what you're going to use? Yeah, hazel has oftentimes thought about setting up a course in the back for the Pack...always looking for ideas. :D

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
nope, i dont have anyhting set up outside yet, but i want to start tha soon, once he gets that stuff down pat in a low distraction place ( ie the garage) and nope, i dont have any tunnels yet amd i'm not sure what i am going to use, i will see if i can get one cheap somewheres, if i can i will let you know.

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks! :D

He looks like he really enjoys what you're doing with him indoors! That's one step I'd have to skip--I don't have any indoor room to practice in first, so we'll have to do it outside, competing for attention with the birds, squirrels, and butterflies... :laughing:

Did you start with just a one-level jump and then raise the bar? Or is he just a natural jumper?

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM
he definately is a natural jumper, but i did start out low with one bar to build him up. On the pictue of the jump you see the top bar is at his sholder height ( well aorund there) and the bottom bar is there to keep him from trying to go under ( he ahd a little habit of that for a bit) Even though he only jumos his sholder height( i think thats what it is in comp anyways) he could easyily jump higher, i am guessing around 5 feet, but i really dont want to find out:o

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
he definately is a natural jumper, but i did start out low with one bar to build him up. On the pictue of the jump you see the top bar is at his sholder height ( well aorund there) and the bottom bar is there to keep him from trying to go under ( he ahd a little habit of that for a bit)

I was just picturing the Pack coming up to your jump and going over...except when dinky little Grace got there, she went between the bars! :laughing: madame hazel sees it in her crystal ball! :o

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
prehaps you should send all of them up here so we can see if madam hazel is right :whistle:

Chaser
July 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
That is so fantastic! He looks so happy doing it :lovestruck:

And I appreciate the ideas...I want to set up some equipment for Chase once we move and have more space. I would have over-thought it and never considered something so simple as milk crates and broom handles. That's awesome :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2008, 11:39 PM
prehaps you should send all of them up here so we can see if madam hazel is right :whistle:

:laughing:

I wish!

TeriM
July 31st, 2008, 02:11 AM
Great shots. Enzo isn't just handsome :lovestruck: he is also athletic and smart :thumbs up.

allymack
July 31st, 2008, 07:14 AM
And I appreciate the ideas...I want to set up some equipment for Chase once we move and have more space. I would have over-thought it and never considered something so simple as milk crates and broom handles. That's awesome :thumbs up

I knwo i was trying to find something that was stable enough to hold the broom handles, so if he bumped them they wouldnt fall down to easily. Then i saw the milk crates with the holes and i go oh gee now theres an idea. Also since there are holes throughout the milk crate you can easily change the height, but i just put the broom stick in the handles and they stay. I htink two milk crates would be about the right height for chase two i thihnk tey are similar in size.

:laughing:

I wish!

Just load them all up on Westjet..no problem really:D

growler~GateKeeper
August 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Great stuff Ally :thumbs up & Enzo :lovestruck:

Enzo looks like he's quite enjoying this fun game too :dog: Love the rolling ball video :laughing: leaning way over but not moving :thumbs up

Gail P
August 2nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Aw, he looks like he's having a great time. Agility is so much fun. I took Lightning through 2 levels of lessons but then stopped (got more mouths to feed so something had to give :dog:). I put together equipment to practice with at home though. Some things you can make yourself, some you can't really. I broke down and spent the money to buy a good tunnel. Shopped around for a bit but I found mine at NTI Global. They're in the US but offer free shipping to Canada and when I bought mine they were on sale. Still pricey but worth it. I had previously bought a little 6' pop open tunnel but it's very lightweight and it can't be curved. The one from NTI is a 15' or 16' one that is a regulation dog tunnel and can be curved however you want. I made my own tire jump from black pvc pipes (made into the frame), and big-O drainage tube for the "tire", which I taped up with coloured electrical tape to jazz it up. My weaves are just steel rods driven into the ground with 3/4" pvc pipes slipped overtop, oh yeah, and I bought guide wires for them off ebay. I also made a chute tunnel by sewing a long (15') tube of fabric and using a ratchet strap to attach it to a blue plastic barrel with both ends cut out. For jumps, I was using my horse jumps, though they're big and heavy. I just recently did a demo somewhere and needed to have more portable jumps so I got electric fence rods that stick in the ground, and the electric fence insulators that screw onto them and can be adjusted to any height to hold the poles (which are more 3/4" pvc). For safety, since the fence rods are narrow little things, I stuck tennis balls on the top to make sure that nobody could get impaled on top. I have a teeter in the works, just have to get dh to help me finish making it.

rainbow
August 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I love the rolling ball viseo too and the waiting to go pic with his squinty eye smile. :D

rainbow
August 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
nope, i dont have anyhting set up outside yet, but i want to start tha soon, once he gets that stuff down pat in a low distraction place ( ie the garage) and nope, i dont have any tunnels yet amd i'm not sure what i am going to use, i will see if i can get one cheap somewheres, if i can i will let you know.

Ren's has an agility starter kit....

http://www.renspets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5740100&Store_Code=rpd&search=agility+starter+kit&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
:o this thread was just brought up in another thread, but i didnt se your post about the start up kit, rainbow. I have seen one like that before and thoguht about it, and i still am, i am going to go check out how sturdy teh one is at my pet store..who knows it could be the exact same one...

Spatx
August 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I bought the agility starter kit - the only thing I like about it is the little tunnel. The other pieces are too flimsy and don't work for my Aussie. The tunnel however, is great as a starter piece. I'm teaching my puppy to do tunnels with it :)

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know that Spatx. That was my reason for not getting it, i mean Enzo is a 55 lb dog..he needs sturdy equipment to hold up to his ripping around..

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thats pretty creative Ally! I think If you did the hamper thing it would do the job! And it would be pretty cheap! I was looking on the internet and found a Tunnel that they were selling for $400 And it was just the standard beginner one!

babymomma
August 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thats really creative Ally!! I think if you did the hamper thing for the Tunnel it would do the Job :thumbsup: I mean, I seen a Beginner tunnel for sale on line for $400 And it was just the standard beginner tunnel EEK! The hampers would definatly be cheaper!

ancientgirl
August 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I love the picture of him on the table. The look on his face is priceless.

allymack
August 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
his tongue does look extra big in that picture, all the better for the big kisses i rarely get from him :sad::rolleyes:

Gail P
August 27th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I mean, I seen a Beginner tunnel for sale on line for $400 And it was just the standard beginner tunnel EEK! The hampers would definatly be cheaper!

Look up NTI Global, that's where I got mine. It's 15' or 16', regulation size and standard weight and it was something like $150 or $160 on sale. They also have heavy-duty ones and smaller diameter ones for the little dogs. They're in the US but their shipping is free even to Canada, there was just a $20 border crossing fee or something like that.

Brandykins
August 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Great pics of agility!! Good video clip. Love the one on the table laughing!! What a delightful smile!!