Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some People...I swear!

Luvmypitgirls
July 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ok so I had to go to the pet store last night to get mice for LeStat. I decided to take my Jersey (pitbull), as she is always very well behaved, so is my pit Abby but she has a shoplifting problem:laughing:

Anyway, before getting mice, I take Jersey over to the collar section, we browse but don't find anything "pretty" enough, so we move to the toy and treat section.
There is a couple standing there looking at the kittens behind the glass off to one side. The man looks at Jersey and gives me this really nasty look. The woman he's with looks at us and then says to me, "Did they really let you in here with that dog? Are they crazy?"
I replied by asking why wouldn't they let my dog in, she's on a leash, she's up to date on all her shots and she's very well socialized.
The man turns to the woman and says good thing the kittens are behind the glass that dog would probably kill and eat them...:frustrated:
I said no actually she wouldn't, she loves cats, you really shouldn't judge a dog by it's breed, it's rather ignorant. Then I walked away.

So now Jersey, is looking at all the toys on the wall, and she's tap dancing in excitement, I could tell she was going to cost me a small fortune!
Then this other couple comes around the corner and the woman gasps at seeing Jersey and rushes to pick up her toy poodle. Jersey, seen the poodle down on the floor but paid it no attention, so this woman didn't have to scoop it up like that. When she did, Jersey of course became more interested in seeing their dog. I told her "No" and she redirected her attention to the toys on the wall. The man of the couple said, "you have a pretty dog", I said thank you. The woman asked him how he could think a Pitbull is pretty, and added there is nothing pretty about a vicious dog....:frustrated:

That's when I got angry and told her that there was nothing vicious about my dog, and then asked her if she has ever had a negative encounter with a Pitbull, to which she said no. I ask her why she thinks pitbulls are vicious, she says you hear it on the news all the time...:frustrated:

I shook my head and walked away.

On a brighter note, the staff there all like her very much, she was given free cookies and a little ham bone:) One staff member said that they had a complaint about my dog being in the store, but they were told Jersey has never caused a problem in their store and until the day comes where there is an incident she will be welcome in the store anytime.:)

It's just frustrating, and I am always expecting this kind of crap when I'm out and about with my dogs, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with...:wall:
thanks for letting me rant.:)

Dog Dancer
July 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You have every right to rant. I would too. See I don't bring my dog Shadow into stores because she is dog aggressive. And she's not a pitbull! But people wouldn't think twice if they saw her there. It's so stupid to judge them that way. I actually felt bad last week because a fellow was walking down our sidewalk with a perfectly lovely pit and I had to cross the road with my two 70 lb dogs. Now he probably thought I was avoiding him, and whenever possible I tell them it's my dogs I don't trust, not theirs. My older girl was attacked when she was younger (while somebody else was walking her) and since then she has issue with larger type dogs, so we avoid the issue whenever possible. But I know it's my girl's problem not the fault of a pitty. Another fellow on our block owns one and he almost broke my nose one day trying to give me kisses - the dog was trying to kiss me okay!... They get such a bum rap and it's very annoying. I'm glad the staff at the store stuck up for you! I'd shop there regularly if it was me.

jessi76
July 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
that's terrible... I hate when I come across people like that too. But kudos to you for handling it so nicely, just like Jersey would have if she could speak. :thumbs up

I usually gravitate TOWARDS all the bully breeds when in a store, they're usually the most friendly!

We've all had some doozies while in a store... I normally get asked why my dog needs to wear a muzzle (when in reality it's just a simple head harness), or why he's so "mean" when he won't let you touch his head (he ducks and backs away, a common reaction to a stranger going for your head!).

It is frustrating, but the more you bring your lovely dogs out in public, the more chance you have to help stop the stereotyping. keep it up!

NoahGrey
July 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I understand your frustations. I too love the pit bull breed. They are amazing dogs.

The media is mostly to blame on the way people view pitties.

ACO22

Chaser
July 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I can only imagine how awful it must feel to own a breed that is often discriminated against. I am just now starting to get a taste of it with Kailey and have actually seen people jump back and shriek when they see her, even though she is being quiet and walking nicely. :sad: Of course, when they scream it scares the crap out of her and THEN she barks at them.

Anyway, I always have and always will go out of my way to tell pitt, rott, shepherd etc. owners that they have gorgeous dogs, and if they are receptive to that, will often ask if I may pet the dog. My thinking is they must deal with so much negativity such as LMP's story, that they deserve to have a brighter day when their dogs get a compliment.

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
LMP, do the bully breeds there have to be muzzled in public like they do here. I think thats such a sin. Too bad you couldn't have picked Jersey up and told the lady you didn't want her poodle to bite her.

Purpledomino
July 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I so feel your frustration. People really can be ignorant....in my experience it's usually the little coddled purse dogs that are the most dangerous. My brindle bullmastiff Ruben always gets those dissaproving looks, little do people know that he is the most trustworthy, goofy dufus that would never hurt anyone, man or dog. Whenever we are at the vet clinic people grab their animals and give us a wide berth, little do they know the most damage he would do is soak their pants with slobber, or take the wall out with his wagging tail. Funny thing, because everyone approaches my Minpins, and yesterday young Petie was neutered, and while the vet tech checked his teeth....he nearly took off her finger! :eek:

I swear......it's the little cute ones you have to worry about. ;)

Chaser
July 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I swear......it's the little cute ones you have to worry about. ;)

My good friend is a dog groomer, and she swears up and down that this is completely true! She loves it when a big goofy brute walks through the door....if a dog arrives in a purse or carrier bag, forget it! :evil:

erykah1310
July 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
.if a dog arrives in a purse or carrier bag, forget it! :evil:

:wall:HUGE issue I have with that. Dogs of all sizes are capable of ( and would prefer to be )walking :wall:

Luvmypitgirls, I feel for you... its such a slap in the face to see a dog discriminated against.

I too would have picked up my dog and made a fuss... some people are just far too closed minded/gullable... Gotta love the media :rolleyes:

babymomma
July 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
:wall:HUGE issue I have with that. Dogs of all sizes are capable of ( and would prefer to be )walking :wall:
:

I hear ya Erykah! Im getting a Yorkie on Saturday and i am NOT going to be carrying it around. She got 4 legs and a heart beat just like any other dog, and she will use them, small dogs need excersise tooo!!! I dont understand why people carry small breed around? Do they only have them becase they match their outfit perfectly? What happens if they get a new outfit that the dog doesnt look good with? Do they go to shelters:rolleyes:?

chico2
July 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
LMPG,sorry you and Jersey had to be subjected to such ignorance:sad:
I met a huge Mastiff at my pet-store the last time I was there and people walked the other way when they saw him.
But was he ever sweet,except for the slobber,his owner was about 5'1,maybe that's what scared people.
I would never judge a dog by it's breed,I have learned sooo much from this Forum...and your pups are just stunning.

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Another lesson in ignorance, I guess, LMP. :grouphug: Society is going to drown in it's own ignorance some day... :rolleyes: It's just so sad that the dogs of certain breeds have suffered because of it. I'm sorry you have to put up with that. :grouphug:

You should have flashed your tat at these :loser:s. Maybe pictures are easier for them to comprehend than words... :shrug:

Luvmypitgirls
July 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
LMP, do the bully breeds there have to be muzzled in public like they do here. I think thats such a sin. Too bad you couldn't have picked Jersey up and told the lady you didn't want her poodle to bite her.

No not here Aslan, not yet anyway.

Your comment made me laugh because my 19 yr old adopted a pit from the same rescue I adopted and volunteered for. He is approx 35-40 lbs, small, muscular dog. He was walking Mac when a lady appeared with two lil dogs. Her dogs started barking and snarling at Mac, who showed no interest in return. She scoops up her dogs, yells at my son that his "pitbull" is a monster and shouldn't be allowed in public and runs across the street!
Mac didn't do a thing, he ignored her little dogs. He is well socialized and trained. He is "fixed", but still loves to hump so if her dogs were in any danger it would've been from Mac wanting to hump them in all his glory!
Well a few days later, my son and Mac are walking and the same lady appears, her dogs once again barking and snarling and lunging.
My son grabs Mac up into his arm and yells "your vicious little hairballs want to hurt my dog" and runs across the street. :laughing::laughing:
She was so stunned she turned around and pretty much dragged her still barking snarling lunging little dogs behind her.

Oh and the pet store that I was at last night will definitely be getting all my business, and I'm putting the word out to everyone I know with pets especially Pits.:thumbs up

Rottielover
July 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Boy do I feel your pain, I am one also with the so called vicious breeds. I hear it and see it all the time. Really sad, actually now I am defending my 2, as so called bogus complaints have been made:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::frustrated:

growler~GateKeeper
July 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
My son grabs Mac up into his arm and yells "your vicious little hairballs want to hurt my dog" and runs across the street. :laughing::laughing:
She was so stunned she turned around and pretty much dragged her still barking snarling lunging little dogs behind her.

:laugh: :laugh: Good for him :highfive:

pitgrrl
July 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM

I do similar things on a regular basis because Basil and Streets have almost had their noses bitten into on a few occasions by off leash, psycho chi-chi-doodle-poos in the neighbourhood.

The owners almost always say something like "oh, they'd eat little Fifi for lunch wouldn't they?" to which I respond "no, I'm just scared of your dogs" :laughing:

Anyway, don't sweat the idiots, the people who do like the bullies, really, really, really love them and make up for all the haters.

jessi76
July 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
psycho chi-chi-doodle-poos

:laughing: nearly spit my coffee all over the screen over that one... too funny!

allymack
July 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
dont even worry about them! i know its hard to not worry about them, but you know, and everybody heres knows and i am sure alot of people aorund you know, that you have amazing friendly dogs! Just keep it up. Take your pups with you ever wheres you go, hopefully you will be able to change some peoples minds about them.:grouphug::dog::dog:

Frenchy
July 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
LMP , I can't believe the nerve if these people , to make these comments in front of you !! :frustrated:

Good for him :laughing: I would have love to see the woman's face :laughing:
"oh, they'd eat little Fifi for lunch wouldn't they?" to which I respond "no, I'm just scared of your dogs" :laughing:

Little Fifi :laughing:

Well I don't have pits but ... I usually have a golden when I go to the vets , one of mine or fosters. It always amaze me that everybody goes : awwww , I love goldens , they're such lovely dogs... and then to have them just approach and pet them without asking. Then I take Nelly ... everybody goes : oh my she's gorgeous ... but nobody will get close to her , let alone pet her ! Other than the staff of course , they all love Nelly. One time , one man looked at her and said to me : well , I would so not get into your house (guess he meant as a burglar) .. if he only knew ! Humans were bad TO Nelly , not the other way around !!

Jim Hall
July 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
what amazes me is het these things happen in a pet store you would think peeps know about dogs in a pet store not the dtaff the staff soounds great but the customers

Luvmypitgirls
July 31st, 2008, 12:04 AM
psycho chi-chi-doodle-poos in the neighbourhood.

:laughing::laughing:

thats too funny.

Well like I said I have come to expect dirty looks from ppl, but more and more I am verbally confronted by these idiots.

I even had realtors having an open house across the street ask me to keep my dog indoors, because one visitor seen Jersey and was "concerned".

It just seems to get worse and worse, :sad:. Dirty looks I can handle I just smile in return, which p*sses them off more. But when they verbally assault my dog I swear I just wanna "rant off" on them, but I don't because it serves no purpose. I will respond but I try to do it in a nice polite way, or just keep my mouth shut and keep walking.

Jersey and Abby have both worked their magic on ppl, some that swore they would never pet a pitbull now lavish pettings on the girls, I guess its just a matter of one person at the time.

TeriM
July 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Good for you for presenting such a happy friendly representation of the breed. Slowly but surely people can get educated :fingerscr. I have a friend who originally had two pits :rip: that were great dogs but she never took them out because of people's preconceptions. She now has a new pit and he gets to go everywhere and has won over a huge amount of converts one paw at a time :thumbs up.

krdahmer
July 31st, 2008, 01:59 AM
Man I get snapped and snarled and barked at by more small dogs than any large dogs (it's been my personal experience that those big 'killer' dogs are the sweetest and gentlest dogs of all!!)! And even before I knew of this place(and all you great doggy people)... I knew where the blame lied for all these 'visous pitbull attacks' on the news.... the idiotic owners, and the sensationalist news idiots. Those people in the store were just a bunch of media lemmings.... :frustrated:

I'm impressed at how you held yourself back! I would have had a lot more to say to those people.... and not so politely either.

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2008, 11:40 AM
I wish I could have a pit bull, sadly in my county they are illegal to own, yet if I go to the next county, it's perfectly all right.

I can't stand ignorance like that. People need to stop believing what they read in the news so much and start to just educate themselves. Why don't they blame the owners of these breeds when they read a story about a pit bull?

I can't tell you how many times I've been growled at, snapped at and downright lunged at by toy breeds. Does anybody ever say anything negative about that? Whenever I see a large breed like a boxer or dobey or American bulldog I ask the owner if they are okay with being petted, and when I pet them they are so happy and loving.

I think I'd have told those people to shove their stupidity and go buy a fish, I've never heard of a guppy attacking anyone so they'd be safe.:rolleyes:

I had a stupid encounter myself yesterday.

8ball
August 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I don't have any dogs right now. I used to have a boxer mix. So I do feel for what you had and still have to deal with. I think it shows how sorry society is when the general population is more willing to listen to the media then their own experiences and their own feelings.

lotus
August 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
That is awful why do people continue to be so ignorant? I myself have the walking dust mops totally trust Sugar around people Peanut on the other hand I will pick up , he is ok if you approach slowly and speak to him but fast quick moving hands bother him.(although he has never bit anyone I won't give him the chance) Once he gets to know you he is a mush bucket.
Let me tell you about the day my good friend and I went for a walk in the park me with little 6lbs Sugar and her with her 2 year old Rotti :D Forget the looks we got they were so funny ,it was the comments "aren't you afraid her dog will eat your little one"
"You should have your dog taken away for endangering it".:confused:
The best one of all was a woman walking toward us scooped up her child ,when she seen Sugar walking beside Pea she put the child down and walked passed. We were truly confused there.
The only fear I have of Pea is getting licked to death.
I truly think if the media started telling stories of how a Pit, Rotti or other Bully dog did something good (they are out there we all know),people would have a different view/opinion of these beautiful dogs. I commend everyone that owns a media target dog you put up with so much and yet handle it with such great poise BRAVO!!