Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flying WestJet with heavy dog - Help!

Downy
July 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
We are flying WestJet with our dog and just found out that she is just over 80lbs!! The kennel is 24lbs so we're likely going to be over the 100lb weight limit. Does anyone know how strict Westjet is with the 100lb max or will they let it slide. Do they even weigh the animal at the airport?? I'm so anxious about flying now. Has anyone ever been rejected at the airport? If so, what are the alternatives?

We were shocked to find out our dog got that heavy (new baby so fewer walks) so now we are panicked as we fly out in a couple of days and can't exactly try to get her weight down in time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

King
July 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have no ideas for you but wish you the best luck hopfully someone with know something have a good trip!!!!!!!!

mollywog
July 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
my sister has had similar problems lately with Air Canada.
Her dog isn't oversize, but her crate is, since she will be flying out on a smaller plane. So she took her dog and crate to the airport and talked directy to the cargo people... long story short, she got fed up with AC and ended up switching to Westjet! She said they were much more helpful and actually seemed to care about her dogs well-being.. they even suggested taping a bag of treats to the top of the crate, so that they could treat the dogs while in the cargo area.
So I would suggest going to the airport ahead of time (if this is feasible) with your dog and crate, and using their scaled and getting their input.
Good luck!!:pawprint:

Luvmypitgirls
July 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine who is a Westjet pilot, he says that if it's over by a lb or 2 it's not really a big deal, however if it is way over, they may or may not accept it or possibly charge you more.

Westjet is in my opinion the best airline for pets, the rescue I volunteered for has a contract with them, they transport all the dogs coming from Ontario to Alberta, they give us huge discounts and the dogs are all well cared for and handled gently. I love Westjet!

Oh by the way he said call Westjet, they may want you to bring the dog and crate in the day before for weighing so they can make a decision, that way if they say no you will still have time to find another alternative.

finnigers
August 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
A very late reply since your trip has already occured but this may help someone else in the future.

I work for WestJet and can tell you that the 100 lb weight limit is strictly enforced. 100 lbs is the maximum we can accept for any checked item be it a kennel, a suitcase or a box. The dog and their kennel will be weighed at check-in.

Full guidelines are available on westjet.com under travel info re. a kennel's maximum dimensions, types of kennels accepted, and other important items for you to know prior to travel.

If your dog and kennel are over 100 lbs, the dog will have to be shipped as Westjet cargo. Please ensure that if you need to go this route that you have set it up in advance of your day of travel. An account needs to be created which cannot be done on the spot.

Downy
August 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you for all the responses. We decided not to chance it and found a great home for our dog to stay with while we were away. It greatly decreased our stress with her flying and after picking her up I know she was well cared for and had a great time without us!

finnigers
August 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think you did the right thing!

Sometimes there is no option. The dog must fly since the family is moving or is entered in a dog show or whatever.

We do take good care of them but it is still stressful on the dog no matter what. If the option exists to leave them at home, it is likely the best for the dog.