Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reported pitbull shot by police, once again not a pitbull

seeker
July 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
This happened in Barrie this past weekend, police had to shoot what was reported by the local TV, Radio and Newspapers to be a pitbull on the loose that attacked someone. Turns out to be a boxer, I wonder if the police would have felt the need to shoot the dog if they had been able to properly ID the dog as a boxer? Maybe maybe not.
Nobody likes to hear about dog attacks or dogs being shot and I hope the person is not hurt too badly and the family that lost the dog is dealing with this as best they can. Also I'd like to see the day when the media would do a little more research before blindly trying to be the "first" to get the "latest pitbul story" out to the public.
But on the same token I suppose that last sentence is about the most "idealistic" statement I have made since I got married.

Frenchy
July 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Did they apologize afterwards .... about saying it was a pitbull ? :frustrated:

mona_b
July 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
seeker,I'm sure that in whatever situation they were in,the need to shoot was there.It could have been a boxer,GSD,lab or whatever breed.You get a dangerous dog that attacked and was loose,they will do what they have to.Cops are pretty smart with their knowledge of breeds.:)

I do hate when the media reports wrong breeds.Even more,wrong info.

wdawson
July 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM
the media will never change....PITBULLS ATTACK.....sells papers:frustrated:

imagine the headline.......CHI ATTACKS ANKLES OF THREE.....:rolleyes:

Luvmypitgirls
July 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
We had a similar incident in Calgary, where a dog was attacking ppl.
Our CFCN news reported it was a Pitbull, when infact it was a Boxer X.

When it was brought to their attention that it wasn't a Pitbull, they didn't retract their statement and set the record straight, they just changed it to Dog Attack.

As a Pitbull owner, it infuriates me to no end, that the media seems to have it in for Pits, I know the rescue I volunteered for gave the media many opportunities to come show them in a "positive" light at one of our many events, they were flat out not interested.

kigndano
July 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
i think its pretty crappy up there in Canada with this nonsense.

just my:2cents:

not a knock on the country as a whole, but banning a breed?

how uninformed is that?

Jim Hall
July 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
how in the world to you mistake a boxer for a pit bull?

dogcatharmony
July 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
oh goodness how sad.

As for not recognizing a breed.....my neighbours have a Shar-pei /boxer mix. everytime it sneaks out loose the police and HS are in the neighbourhood. It's the people making the first complaint at the supposed sight of a loose pit bull. Meanwhile we do have three bullies in the neighbourhood.....and would you believe it.....nobody knows about them.

I feel so bad for dogs.

pitgrrl
August 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
i think its pretty crappy up there in Canada with this nonsense.

just my:2cents:

not a knock on the country as a whole, but banning a breed?

how uninformed is that?

You know there is breed specific legislation all over MA, as well as many, many, many other places in the U.S. right?

Here's a list if ya want to check it out:
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/Locations/USLocations.htm

how in the world to you mistake a boxer for a pit bull?

I've read of cases where dogs that look more like Chow mixes got called "pit bulls". I often get the feeling that "pit bull" is less descriptive of appearance and more a label for any dog perceived as being aggressive. :shrug:

kigndano
August 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
i had no clue this was in the US to :sorry: canada!

we are just as uniformed apparently!

:eek::eek::eek:

people are really stupid huh?:yell:

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Sigh... it seems like a bit of an epidemic lately. A pit bull mix was just shot in my city by the RCMP. The dog was in it's own yard with it's owner doing nothing wrong! The police were responding to a dropped call in the basement apartment of the house and when they got no response from knocking on the door, they walked into the fenced yard and when the dog ran up to them, they shot it. I know one of their neighbours and the police are trying to say the dog was some kind of problem, I guess trying to cover for their stupidity by making it seem like the dog deserved it or something, but my friend that is their neighbour said the dog has never been an issue. She was actually in her yard when the gun shots went off and she said there wasn't a bark or anything from the dog. It was silent, then the sound of shots being fired. Someone else on another forum knows someone on the force here and they said that they are lucky their pit bulls don't live in Surrey or they'd shoot them! Unbelievable. This makes me feel REALLY safe in my city. So basically if you own a pit bull, that makes you, your family and your dog, fair game for the police, even when you've done nothing wrong!? I'm thinking I should get some shirts printed up for my dogs saying "I'm a poodle! Please Don't Shoot!" And people think I'm paranoid for locking my gate!

seeker
August 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Because of the media, shooting a pitbull receives very little in the way of public uproar. Most of that from the owner and because he/she was a pitbull owner there aren't many that read the paper, hears or sees the news that that will offer support or sympathy.

One would hope that no one with authority to use a gun would just because of that fact.

Pit Bull Love
August 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Because of the media, shooting a pitbull receives very little in the way of public uproar.

Isn't it sad. There have been two recent incidence here in B.C., one where a pit bull puppy was beat to death with a hammer, and the other was set on fire, no doubt because of their reputation and sickos thinking they have a right to do it because its just some vicious pit bull anyway. Like this abuse is a favour to the public or something. There is actually now, some looser travelling from city to city, across B.C. letting his pit bulls attack other animals. Just what us responsible owners need. Somedays, it can be too much to take. :shrug:

babyrocky1
August 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
They seem to know who that guy is though, have a name and everything don't they? I hope they catch him soon.. I think I read he has seven "pit bull" crosses and a rotti and romes around letting them attack!

But he proves "our point" doesn't he??? what a wacko!!!!

Pit Bull Love
August 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I think they have a discription on him and his vehicle, but I don't think they have his name or licence plate, or at least it only mention his discription in the papers, but he keeps moving around so they can't catch him. :wall:

babyrocky1
August 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I"m going to the DLCC site to see what I read.. ! LOL I have a name in my head but probably shouldn't mention it.. lol
I will be back!