Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It finally happened, i really am getting a puppy

Soter
July 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I found out on the 24th of July, that in september im getting a puppy from my older sister.
he is a springer spaniel, chocolate brown with white diamond on his chest and i will call him soter

i have wanted a dog since forever and now it is finally happening!!!

it is an early birthday pressie from my sister and her boyfriend

he will sleep downstairs in the kitchen, go on daily walks to the beach, along country roads around where we live cos we live so near to the beach and play outside and be so happy

i'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!

also, if you go on this forum reguarly you migth notice that i have posted a lot of threads aksing about springer spaniels, brining home puppies and advice on things. thank you all so so much for replying if you did. it has been seriously helpful

from soter (nearly a puppy owner yipeeee)

p.s i dont have a picture yet but as soon as i get one i will post it.

14+kitties
July 29th, 2008, 10:54 AM
SOTER - I am very very happy for you!! Also thanks so much for taking the time to research the type of puppy suitable for you, the temperment, food, safety and other issues I know you have asked about. It's nice to see a young person taking pet ownership so seriously!! :highfive: to you!!!

And btw - you have a very very nice sister!!!!

BlueBreeze
July 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Has the new puppy arrived at your home yet?

Looking forward to pictures :)

Soter
July 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys!

i wont be getting the puppy till early september and we are getting all the stuff like bowls, lead, collar, bed ect in early august

And btw - you have a very very nice sister!!!! my sister is so wonderfull!!!:crazy:

i have one picture but it is on my dads phone, and i cant get it onto the computer cos' we have no connection wire. :rolleyes:

:dog:soter i :lovestruck: dogs

mollywog
July 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Good for you Soter! :thumbs up
Where is your sister getting the puppy from? a breeder, or a pet store?
Rest up now, because you will be busy busy BUSY once it arrives!!

Soter
August 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
My sister is getting the puppy from a breeder, so no worries about its background (puppy mill: bad place, ect)

We have just recently got the bed, the food and water bowls, a brush, a red collar and some crunchy bone treats for training, (for quite a while after it enters our house) its good to be prepared in advance.

my sister is brining down the dog food when she brings the puppy. i am a bit nervous about the first night... what if it is too traumatized?? what if it chew up the whole house?? we are gonna get some not-toxic bitter-spray for any area's when tetthing puppy mouths might be able to reach, which is just about everywhere!!! :) soon we are gonna get puppy friendly shampoo and the bitter spray and a lead for it. exciting!!!!!!
i know that the second day we have it will be most fun, but the first day and night i will feel kinda sorry for it, being taken from its mum and bro's and sisters and being taken to a home it hasn't chosen to live in, and then being in a dark room on a bed with no warm furry comforting mum to snuggle up to!!!!!:sad: any advice on what to do the first night will be really really welcome

mollywog
August 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Soter, are you familiar with crate training? I would highly recommend this with a new puppy. The crate will be its "safe haven" and you could put some nice soft blankets in there for him. It would be a nice place for him to sleep at night and during the day if you have to leave him alone. This way you wouldn't have to worry about him getting into anything or chewing anything up.
There are alot of articles online about crate training, good luck!:pawprint:

babymomma
August 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
:thumbs upCongrats soter

I too am getting my first puppy, Im picking her up tomorrow accually( :goodvibes:) . I am just as worried as you are, and i am beginning to freak out a little too much! (Im worried about how she is going to react to anestetistic, and she doesnt have to be spayed for 5 months:o lol) .. Good luck with your puppy, im sure you will make a great umm.. Dad? Or mom?(sorry:o I dont know if your a boy or girl:o) .. I am also worried about how my puppy will react for the first few days/nights. HOpefully somebody can shed some light on that for us:fingerscr Sorry i dont have any advice for you:o

Rottielover
August 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM
What I did the first night was set up the crate where I wanted it, and slept next to the cage that night, it worked like a charm :)

allymack
August 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ou, i am so excited for you to get your pup!

I suggest getting a crate for it. Its only a puppy so it will be small and sleepingin your bed,and well if you roll..also a crate is good because your pup will learn that it is his own safe place, away from everyhting and he wont be bothered.

Nobody can really say for sure what to expect when you first get a puppy home because the all react differently. one hting is for sure, they will be curious, so let them sniff and walk around, keep a very close eye on him so he doesnt get in to anything.

When he first gets there, dont let him get away with anything you dont want him to do when he is older, what he learns now will carry on in to his adulthood. You dont have to be harsh when correcting him, just a firm "Ah ah" should be enough.

In the first week or so he will discover that chewing is fun, so you will have to be on top of that too. If you see him chewing something he isnt supposed to say "Ah ah" and replace it with one of his toys and then reward him.

Another thing i wish i would have started earlier with my dog is the recall. Start my simply having him follow you around. one way to do this is Clap your hands twice, say his name, and slowly run away ( depending on how fast your pup can run) this will teach him that following you is a good thing to do ( which really helps in the recall). Another way to get him to follow you is to do umbilical ( the leash aorund your waist and attached to his collar), but you will have to be gentle with this, since he is only going to be a small young pup. Dont ever chase after him, as this will reverse the work you did of getting him to follow you.

Also in general start his basic obedience when he is young. You might hear that you should start obedience untill he is six months, i really have no idea why. a young pup will learn almost as easily as a six month old and this way you build a solid relationship and already on your way to having a well trained pooch. With a young puppy keep the training sessions short 5-10 mins max. Also always end on a positive note in training, and always leaving him wanting to do more.

I hope all of this has helped you somewhat get ready what to expect and what to do with your new pup!

Soter
August 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Firstly to babymomma my mum won't let me say whether i am a boy or girl
im quite sure you understand

And secondly to allymack the advice was super!! I think that crate training is a brilliant way of toilet training your puppy and chewproofing your house, but we have decided not to get one. Personally i think it would be easier with one, but a friend who found the puppy breeder doesn't use them and he says it is excessive. so we the family (but not i) have decided not to get one

thanx anything else like advice even more would be gr8

Soter
August 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think that crate training is a brilliant way of toilet training your puppy and chewproofing your house, but we have decided not to get one. Personally i think it would be easier with one, but a friend who found the puppy breeder doesn't use them and he says it is excessive. so we the family (but not i) have decided not to get one

i have convinced my mum to get a crate, we looked in argos for the right sized one (not too big for the puppy) and we have even chosen a place for it to go in the house. how gr8 is that?????

the day (28th of august) is coming ever closer to getting the puppy!!

i think that the moment it arrives here, everyone shouldn't crownd around, we will bring it inside, offer it water (not food straight after a car journey) and follow it to make sure it doesn't soil the house, play with it, feed it a bit later on, introduce it to its crate ect

a good list of things to do or not???

soter

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
i have convinced my mum to get a crate, we looked in argos for the right sized one (not too big for the puppy) and we have even chosen a place for it to go in the house. how gr8 is that?????

the day (28th of august) is coming ever closer to getting the puppy!!

i think that the moment it arrives here, everyone shouldn't crownd around, we will bring it inside, offer it water (not food straight after a car journey) and follow it to make sure it doesn't soil the house, play with it, feed it a bit later on, introduce it to its crate ect

a good list of things to do or not???

soter

I am glad you convinced your mom to get a crate. You will not regret it. It saves so many problems later. It makes it so much easier to train your pup, you don't have to worry about the chewing, and your pup will feel a lot more comfy with a "den" of his/her own to go to.

It sounds like you have everything figured out. You will do fine. :thumbs up

allymack
August 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thats great that you convinced your mom to get a crate! he will be very happy with it and feel so safe in it, which is important. Also when he is in the crate dont disturb him, unless you absolutely have to like taking it out for a pee ( we used t ohave to take Enzo out of it at night to go for a pee, he didnt liek that) you want him to feel like he has a place of his own, which would be his crate.

It sounds liek you have a really good idea of what to do when the pup first gets there, i'm sure everything will go fine. Also when you introduce to his crate is, just put him in ( dont close the door ) and let him walk around in it and come out when ever he wants to ( best to get him used to it while he is young)

When you offer him food a bit later on, you might want to put a little bit of water or Extra virgin olive oil on it ( very little if you go with the EVOO) that will help to soften it a bit for him, and if you do use the EVOO its good for his coat, it will make it shiny.