Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy kills baby boy?

CearaQC
July 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Something stinks about this whole story.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=8746608

TULSA, Okla. - A black lab puppy mauled and killed a two-month-old boy Monday morning, police said.

Police said it happened while the parents left the child in a baby swing unattended inside their Tulsa home.

Tulsa Police said the 6-week- old black lab bit the baby numerous times. They were unsure how long the baby had been dead when an ambulance was called Monday morning.

When paramedics arrived, the eight and a half-week-old little boy was dead. A forensic examination of the body is pending, but Tulsa Police said it was obvious the baby boy was mauled by a dog.

"Let's just say it was apparent the wounds came from the dog, and we don't know what caused the death of the child, but at this point it appears to be dog bites," said Tulsa Police Officer Jason Willingham.

Police believe it was a 6-week-old black lab puppy which killed the baby.

The child's father was consoled by neighbors who gathered at the scene. The child's 17-year-old mother was visibly distraught. She was taken by ambulance to Saint Francis hospital to be checked out.

"The parents were home. There were several people home, three people at the time of the incident, obviously that's part of the investigation to determine how this tragic event unfolded," said Tulsa Police Officer Jason Willingham.

Police are not sure how the baby was killed without the parents realizing it was happening. Police said the child was unattended in a baby swing for an undetermined amount of time. They were questioning the child's grandmother, who was also in the home.

The first responders were shaken by the scene.

EMSA relieved both the paramedics who responded and the dispatcher who took the call for a stress debriefing.

"All the investigators and firefighters, the paramedics, many of us have children of our own, so when you see something like this occur, that was a defenseless child, it really strikes deep," said Tulsa Police Officer Jason Willingham.

The neighbors were shocked by the news.

"You never think of it happening in your yard or neighborhood," said Tulsan Heejin Davies.

The black lab has been euthanized, police said.

aslan
July 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
wtf, how the frig could that happen? How would you not hear the baby screaming, why would you leave a baby that young unattended. How could a 6week old puppy maul the baby to death and no one notice. Something doesn't sound quite right about that.

14+kitties
July 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I agree totally! A 6 week old puppy killed a child?? Don't think so. Something fishy this way comes.
Poor baby, poor puppy. :sad:

Magicwildwolf69
July 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
oh thats horrible. I agree something is off here. Three people in the house and no one heard anything. plus no one knows how long the baby's been gone what did they do forget he was there? Even if the dog did it they should never have left that baby alone. Some people should not be parents.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/rip.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
for the puppy and baby

aslan
July 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I really am not going to be surprised if the baby had been dead for awhile and not killed by the puppy. I can see the puppy going after the death smell once the baby was dead tho.:yuck:

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
If you go to the link Ceara provided, there's a photo of the pup. I'd say it was older than 6 weeks :shrug: . And I've seen serious signs of aggression in pups as young as 7 weeks.

Having said that, there's no excuse. This baby should never have been left unattended.

:candle:

SIL
July 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I agree....there is definitely something fishy here that doesn't make sense. Three adults in the house and nobody heard anything:confused:
:rip:baby:rip:little puppy

LavenderRott
July 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
One of the many reasons that it is not recommended that puppies be removed from the litter is that interaction with littermates and mother help to teach bite inhibition. Add lack of bite inhibition to dangling, swinging baby legs and you have something pretty darn tempting to a young puppy.

Throw in young, inexperienced parents and you have a recipe for disaster.

Having said all of this, one is left to wonder just what went on before the baby was discovered. How is it nobody heard the baby cry?

I highly doubt that this puppy, no matter what the age, has aggression issues. It is much more likely that a completely untrained dog was left with a very prey-like infant, alone.

And while the dog is being euthanized and blamed - it is most assuredly, once again, the fault of irresponsible owners/parents that were the cause of this infant's untimely death.

Chris21711
July 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe it was not a dog at all. There was a case in Ontario a few years ago of a seven year old little girl who was found dead in the basement of her home, the coroner determined that cause of death was multiple stab wounds and the mother was charged with homicide. After being found guilty and imprisoned, the report was reviewed and it was determined that it was the family dog who had mauled her. It is possible that it is the same situation in reverse.

Love4himies
July 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Thats what I was thinking, Chris. The autopsy should determine if the bites were serious enough to kill an infant. The puppy would only have puppy teeth. Would it even have the strength to maul and swing around a baby?:shrug:

:rip: Baby
:rip: Labbie

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM
And I've seen serious signs of aggression in pups as young as 7 weeks.

I highly doubt that this puppy, no matter what the age, has aggression issues. It is much more likely that a completely untrained dog was left with a very prey-like infant, alone.

You're right. I used the term aggression inappropriately :o . It was abnormal behavior (in comparison to 'normal' puppies) that I witnessed with one pup in particular, taken away from his mom at 3 weeks and his littermates at 5 1/2.

CearaQC
July 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
On another forum (where I got this AP article), someone said they live in the adjacent area where this occurred in Oklahoma, and that they are now studying the contents of the puppy's stomach. That person claimed they heard it on their local news, but I have yet to find any source online for that yet.

I wonder if the pup came from a puppy mill. How many breeders would let a 6 week old go to a new home? And how many puppy mills would let one go at 6 weeks.

Frenchy
July 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Maybe it was not a dog at all.

Thats what I was thinking, Chris. The autopsy should determine if the bites were serious enough to kill an infant. The puppy would only have puppy teeth. Would it even have the strength to maul and swing around a baby?:shrug:

:rip: Baby
:rip: Labbie

It's hard for me to imagine a 6 weeks old lab , a small pup ,would be able to kill a baby :confused: the story is very fishy to me too.

lotus
July 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm having a hard time believing this. My friends just picked up a 12 week old Rotti and I don't think it could do what they claim a 6 week old Lab did. I could understand a pup chewing on the babies toes & feet.
Chalk this up to inexperienced parents and past the blame to the poor dog, the parents should be charged with neglect as no one even knows how long the baby was dead. Their story is fishy and I hope the authorities dig deep to get the truth.
:rip:little ones:rip:

edwpang
July 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
It's so sad for both the puppy and baby. I agree with everyone how the baby teeth can do any real harm?! This make me remember the case Ving Rhames' Mastiffs fatally maul caretaker. People quickly jumped to the conclusion, and eventually found it wrong. But in this case, even if it proves wrong, the puppy is dead already. :cry:

CearaQC
July 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Here's a news update on the story. Includes photos of the teenage parents and the name of the infant.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=8753165

TULSA, Okla. - Police have released the name of the baby who police say was mauled to death by a puppy Monday morning. The victim was identified as two-month old Zane Alen Earles.

The black Labrador Retriever puppy suspected of killing the baby boy was euthanized at the Tulsa Animal Shelter at the request of police.

Police and animal shelter staff took photographs of the puppy but it's not clear if officials also took bite impressions.

A pug and two cats were also removed from the home. They're being held at the Tulsa Animal Shelter at 3031 N. Erie Avenue.

Love4himies
July 29th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the update.

Unbelievable.

Labs Rule
July 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
First off, the parents in this case should be charged with child abandonment and manslaughter. THEY ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BABY BEING ALONE!!! For crying out loud he was 8 weeks old! What a couple of idiots! Second, i've never heard of a lab violently attacking anyone unless provoked or abused, let alone a lab puppy! I own a black lab, he is a little over a year old and he wouldn't hurt a fly. A lab might lick you to death, but maul a baby to death??? NO FRICKIN' WAY!!! The parents killed that child, not the dog. Unsupervised is the equivalent of "mauling" the baby yourself in my opinion.

danaekitty
July 29th, 2008, 02:09 PM
This is a very disturbing story.
The parents were just teens.
Having a newborn baby and a newborn puppy would be quite a challenge, no?

I agree with LabsRule - Someone should get in big trouble for this.

LavenderRott
July 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
First off, the parents in this case should be charged with child abandonment and manslaughter. THEY ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BABY BEING ALONE!!! For crying out loud he was 8 weeks old! What a couple of idiots! Second, i've never heard of a lab violently attacking anyone unless provoked or abused, let alone a lab puppy! I own a black lab, he is a little over a year old and he wouldn't hurt a fly. A lab might lick you to death, but maul a baby to death??? NO FRICKIN' WAY!!! The parents killed that child, not the dog. Unsupervised is the equivalent of "mauling" the baby yourself in my opinion.

Please don't assume that just because lab attacks don't generally make the news that they don't happen. Every single dog, of every single breed, is capable of biting and/or killing someone. The key is knowing your dog, socializing your dog, training your dog and most of all - never, ever, ever forgetting that your dog most certainly IS capable of biting.

The French woman who had the face implant a couple of years ago was mauled by her own black lab.

Chaser
July 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
This is pure speculation on my part, but my first thought was SIDS or something, and that the puppy may have been trying to wake the baby up. I know, that's a long shot...and we don't have enough details to really know. But I don't buy it for a second that a tiny little puppy killed this baby.

SyntheticSmile
July 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Please don't assume that just because lab attacks don't generally make the news that they don't happen. Every single dog, of every single breed, is capable of biting and/or killing someone. The key is knowing your dog, socializing your dog, training your dog and most of all - never, ever, ever forgetting that your dog most certainly IS capable of biting.

The French woman who had the face implant a couple of years ago was mauled by her own black lab.

Agrees. I've heard that labs are one of the least like dogs to attack/bite... but I've been bitten twice by a dog and both times they were black labs. Neither were abused animals.

On a side note, while this is completely tragic, I think we should reserve judgement until the full story comes out (the autopsy reports, the parents side of the story, etc). It definately smells fishy, but there are not enough details to be jumping to conclusions here. Perhaps the mother and grandmother were napping. Any parent knows how tired you can be if you have a fussy baby. And maybe grandma was sick. I can honestly see how grandpa would not think twice about leaving the baby in a swing to let them sleep and I could also see how he wouldn't think that a six week old puppy would maul the baby. I'm not by any means saying that this is what definately happened, but hey, its one possible scenario, so I'm not going to jump up and down and automatically scream foul play. Just my :2cents: .

Dingo
July 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Now they're saying that it was either a lab puppy or a small pug.... Either way, the dog has apparently been put down.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,393682,00.html

Chris21711
July 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
SyntheticSmile -I don't see anyone making a judgement :shrug: As for the stats on dog bites, from what I understand there are more reports of Labs biting than any other breeds.

babymomma
July 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Now they're saying that it was either a lab puppy or a small pug.... Either way, the dog has apparently been put down.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,393682,00.html

So i guess inncent until proven guilty does not apply to canines. There is no reason that they couldnt have muzzeled him or put him in a crate until they could know how it REALLY happened:wall:

Frenchy
July 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
[FONT="Arial Black"]SyntheticSmile -[FONT="Arial"]I don't see anyone making a judgement :shrug:

Exactly , it's our opinions , we do live in a free speech country :shrug:

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
My question is, can a 6 week old puppy be physically capable of mauling anything?

I have never had a dog or cat this young, but I just can't imagine their teeth or the strength in their jaw is developed enough to do something described here.

And how high was the swing this baby was in? A puppy that small would have to jump pretty high no?

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
what i would like to know is holy crap how much damage was done that they couldn't tell the difference between a puppies bite mark and a full grown pugs.

Frenchy
July 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
What I would like to know is , will they euthanise the owners if they are found guilty , because they should.

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 12:09 PM
That goes without saying...

Love4himies
July 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Ancientgirl was thinking the same as I was, this baby was not lying on the floor but in a swing. A puppy would have to be able to get access the baby before he/she could kill it.

How big is a full grown pug?

aslan
July 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Not much bigger than the puppy, hmmm maybe the cat did it.I don't think it's the kind of swing you hang in a doorway, i think it's the one that kinda has a stand, the pug could possibly have jumped up that far. i'm not seeing a puppy being co-ordinated enough to balance that long.

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I might not hear the end of it and before I say it, I feel terrible that a baby died, but I don't think a 6 week old puppy should have been put down.

If it was indeed the puppy, there were other alternatives for what to do with him. Killing that puppy was not going to bring that baby back.

Love4himies
July 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
If a pug is not bigger than a cat, it would be hard for a pug to kill a baby too. The dangling feet could be real enticing to a dog, but you would think the baby's screams as the dog was biting would bring the parents running. :shrug:

JBKitty
July 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I really can't see how you all find it that impossible that the dog (Even a puppy) COULDN'T kill the INFANT. I'm sure plenty of you here are parents and understand just how fragile they are. I'm not saying that leaving the child and dog alone together was a bright idea but I wouldn't jump to say the parents killed the child. I think a lot of you are assuming that due to their ages. Which is pretty unfair.

A Pomeranian killed a 6 week old baby a while back. It's certainally not impossible for small breeds and puppies to kill. They're dogs and no matter what breed, size or age, they can bite. And it's not that hard to kill an infant.

As for the baby being in a swing, if it's the type of swing I'm thinking of (The kind with the stand that automatically moves when you turn it on or something similar to that) then it could have been sitting by a couch, chair, table, ect that the dog could have jumped up onto. Don't just assume that because it's a Lab it can't kill or that because it's a puppy it can't kill or that because they're teenage parents they'd kill their child. Nobody knows what happened. We do know the parents were irresponcible enough to leave the child unattented with roaming animals (Which according to the artical was the GRANDFATHERS fault) but that certainally does NOT mean they killed the baby.

lablover6
July 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
SyntheticSmile -I don't see anyone making a judgement :shrug: As for the stats on dog bites, from what I understand there are more reports of Labs biting than any other breeds.

Are you kidding me? Seriously, this is absolutely absurd!!! Labs are the most gentle of all the dog breeds. And I would bet my savings that this puppy did NOT harm this baby. I think these parents are trying to cover up something, and blaming it on the lab puppy is pretty stupid of them, because it's not going to fly. There is NO way this 6 week old lab puppy hurt this baby. I think the parents hurt the child and then provoked the puppy to make it look like he attacked the baby.

LavenderRott
July 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Are you kidding me? Seriously, this is absolutely absurd!!! Labs are the most gentle of all the dog breeds. And I would bet my savings that this puppy did NOT harm this baby. I think these parents are trying to cover up something, and blaming it on the lab puppy is pretty stupid of them, because it's not going to fly. There is NO way this 6 week old lab puppy hurt this baby. I think the parents hurt the child and then provoked the puppy to make it look like he attacked the baby.

No. We are not kidding you. The only dog ever to attack my rottweiler was a lab. MY dog continued to sit as she was told and the police officer who witnessed the attempted attack, ticketed the owner for having an aggressive dog at a public function.

Labradors are probably the single most popular dog bred by backyard breeders because the puppies are easy to sell to people who believe that all labradors are love bugs. Please, stop and look in your dog's mouth. He has teeth and is perfectly capable of biting or killing someone. His breed does NOT make him immune.

While it may well be that the parents of this child are trying to hide something - it is just foolish to believe that a puppy is incapable of hurting an infant. It may not have been aggressive - but it most certainly is capable.

Love4himies
July 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=8764617

Who in the world leaves a baby alone while the guardians are sleeping?????????

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2008, 07:30 AM
So the puppy was killed for evidence.

Love4himies
July 31st, 2008, 07:32 AM
So the puppy was killed for evidence.

They may have had the stomach contents examined :shrug:

lotus
July 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am a mother of 4, I have never left my children alone except when nature called and that's for what a couple of minutes with the bathroom door open so I could hear my kids. Yes as parents we are often sleep deprived but isn't that part of being a parent.
This story is so sad not only for the loss of the infant but the dogs involved. Two hours alone on the other side of the house anything can happen to a baby ,why did no one wake the mom? I will also add I was very young when my first was born so I will not let them use it as an excuse, it's common sense.

jealma
July 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
So the father left at 8 ,, the grandfather at 8:30 and the mother and grandmother didn't check the child till 10:30,, THATS 2 FRIGGEN HOURS...

Sounds like they want to examie the puppy for evidence.

This is one story that is a little hard to swallow.

I am not saying a pup couldn't do it,, although I find it very odd that one would kill an infant,, chew them, bite at dangling feet,, but to kill.

I just hope it's not a case of someone getting away will killing this child and not paying. If it was the pup , he's paid with his life.. if it wasn't,..... he paid the price for the crime anyways.

Love4himies
July 31st, 2008, 07:49 AM
If the pup was chewing on the baby's feet, the baby could have bled to death. Who knows. What really angers me is the baby being left alone while the adults slept! And nobody heard the baby crying?

I was very young when I had my daughter too. I slept when she slept, not when I wanted to sleep, and she was always in the same room as me, even when sleeping.

lotus
July 31st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I was very young when I had my daughter too. I slept when she slept, not when I wanted to sleep, and she was always in the same room as me, even when sleeping.
EXACTLY! The age of the parents is no excuse!!

luckypenny
July 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
This may be a little off-topic, but just fyi, here are some statistics on reported fatalities in the USA (1965-2001) caused by attacks from Labradors and Labrador X (Karen Delise, Fatal dog Attacks, the Stories Behind the Statistics, 2002).

4 Labradors attacked, causing death to:
2 year old
4 year old
5 year old
86 year old

12 Labrador X attacked, causing death to:
18 month old
2x3 year olds
2x5 year olds

In most cases, these children and dogs were left unsupervised.

I'm not trying to instill fear towards Labs, only trying to shed some light. All dogs are capable of biting and killing. People tend to forget what species they are :shrug: .

Are you kidding me? Seriously, this is absolutely absurd!!! Labs are the most gentle of all the dog breeds.

Sorry lablover, that may be your experience, but it isn't a fact. Although our Black Lab, Penny, is probably one of the smartest, funniest, loyal dogs we've ever had, she's also the only one I would never dare you, as a stranger, to either walk into our yard or attempt to greet without my presence and direction. It only takes 30 seconds for her to become your best friend, but the manner in which you greet her within that first 30 seconds is the difference between a bite and her friendship.

I, too, was only 19 with my first-born. Even though we didn't have dogs at the time, I still never left him unattended under any circumstances.

Rottielover
July 31st, 2008, 11:47 AM
every dog has teeth, which means every dog can bite, just remember the species, not which breed.

Frenchy
July 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I still don't understand how can a small puppy kill a baby , unless it jumped straight at the jugular :confused:

Kahne9Lover
July 31st, 2008, 02:46 PM
I remember when my 13 yr old was an infant, I was taught to never put a child that young into a swing for extended periods, and also do not leave them unattended because the child is still too weak to hold themselves up. It is possible the child (tragically) suffocated himself in the swing first, and that is why there was no crying...

I also second the comment about the protective labs, my two both would attack if someone threatened me. If they hear a noise in the middle of the night, Maya leaps across my body (truly) and covers me, and Colby stands there growling at the door. It's their natural instinct. If they know you, or if I let them know someone's OK, they will be the biggest lovebugs. But no matter what kind of dog, age, or size, you should never leave a child alone like that, with or without a pet in the room, it's just too easy for an unfortunate incident like this to happen, and it could have been prevented.

MommaKittyTo3
July 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
i just cant believe this, any responsible parent knows you cant leave a child unattended like c'mon, i was young when I had my son & I had a rednose pittbull that I had for a couple years, when my son came along my son slept in the same room as me as well as my pitty, whenever my son would move or wimper my pitty would nudge my hand with his head or nose and or lick my face to tell me something was wrong, he was very good that way & very protective of my son & me as well anyone he didnt know he would let them know they werent allowed there unless I said it was ok.

its sad they didnt hold the puppy until investigation was over, just cuz he was a puppy, how can they prove it was the puppy when there was a pug & cat in the household as well, was the pup covered in blood, did he have skin or the babys dna on his teeth from supposively biting the baby, i dont like how they did this investigation, the parents should also be charged with neglecting that baby, leaving him unattended for a crazy amount of time cmon 2hrs what the hell, a baby needs to be attended to at all times, I was 18 when I had my son and I lived alone, I had no help, I had no one there with me and my son was colic for 4 months straight talk about a lack of sleep, there was no excuse for this at all, in the end everyone suffered and only one animal penalized on an accusation. RIP Baby & Pup