Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ethel Strikes Again

phoozles
July 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Ethel the stray is just coming off of her heat, which means she's been kind of a jerk for the past couple of days. Last night when I let her into the rest of the house, she bit me twice and swatted at my FH. We put her back in her room and went for a bike ride.

When we got back to the house, we walked in, and heard a terrible screaming - turned on the light and Ethel and Jake were staring each other down - she somehow had gotten out of her room. Suddenly Ethel pounced, and fur was flying! I grabbed the water bottle and sprayed them, but nothing happened! :eek: She just kept going after him - I must have gotten both of them soaked, but she was unrelentless!

She chased him up the stairs, but luckily they stopped just before going under the bed (but they were still screaming). FH managed to grab Ethel and take her back to her room. It took me about 20 minutes to lure Jake out from under the bed.

I had clipped Jake and Alley's nails, but we were waiting for the vet to do Ethel's, so it wasn't a fair fight, but upon looking at Jake he didn't seem to have any cuts or scrapes.

*sigh* Another set back. She goes in for her spay this morning. I just hope that all three of their relationships will be repairable.. :sad:

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
That's too bad phoozles :grouphug: . I don't know very much about cats but do you think that the spay will help calm her a bit?

Love4himies
July 29th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Spaying will help her moods. Sweet Pea was at her worse when she was coming out of her heat and she was spayed immediately, like Ethel. It took another 2 weeks after that to settle her.

Good luck.

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks L4H. I know that in few instances it helps with certain behaviors in dogs. I didn't know if it applied to cats as well.

How's Jake doing now Phoozles?

14+kitties
July 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Now isn't that just like her? Do I want him? NO! So, let's hurt him instead!! :D
Silly Ethel. She sure isn't enduring herself to your other two, is she? Little brat!! I suspect once she has had her spay and has had a chance to get those raging hormones done with her whole attitude will change. Maybe not right away. She's had a few years of learned behaviour. Give it a chance.

Maybe have a chat with your vet when you take her in or pick her up and ask his/her opinion.

You have had a tough time with this little angel. I hope after her spay she will turn around. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I have no doubt the spay will help her quite a bit. As for the brawl, don't feel too bad. I spent the better part of the weekend with Vlad and Oksana doing the same thing. Except Vlad was the instigator. At one point I went upstairs and he looked at me and ran. He literally gave me the "Yikes I'm in trouble" look.

Have a look at this. There seem to be Bach natural remedies for specific things. It might help things: Bach Flowers (http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm)

phoozles
July 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys - I really am hoping that the spay calms her down - she's usually okay a few days after her 'jerk' stage, but last time she went back into heat a few days after that, so we didn't see much of the sweet Ethel I know she is..

Now I just have to hope that the other guys will take to her.. I don't think either of them are her biggest fan. :rolleyes:

Jake's doing fine now - back to normal. When Ethel went into the vet we opened up her room so they could check it out. Jake went in on his own. Alley wouldn't even go up to the door and started growling and hissing. She's going to be the hardest part of the whole thing.

Thanks for the link, ancient, I just might look into it.. I have no idea what's going to happen once her hormones are under control - will the other two leave her alone if she's not aggressive, or are they done with her? I guess only time will tell. :shrug:

She's coming home tonight, and then we'll definitely keep them separated for at least a couple more weeks.

14+kitties
July 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Could you possibly go back to the screen door idea while she is recouping? That way they can still see each other without danger of injury? It may get things off to a better start. Give her a few days first of course.
I think Bach Flowers or Rescue Remedy or any of the calming stuff would be great to have on hand for ALL of the kitties. Not just Ethel. I can't see where it wouldn't benefit every one of the participants involved.
To calm you........ ahhhhh, maybe a good shot or two? :D

phoozles
July 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I haven't put the screen door idea completely out of my head - we're trying to figure out the logisitcs of how to do it - my house is very odd, and it's rented, so it's complicated (or at least, too complicated for me)..

Yeah, I might get some rescue remedy for all of them - I think Alley needs a shot or two herself :laughing:

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Phoozles, I think eventually they will all learn to tolerate each other. I'm hoping the same for my bunch. I think Alley will come around too. Last year Czarina attacked Kiska just after she was spayed. Opened up her stitches. Now when they see each other Kiska hisses and lifts her paw, but things aren't violent and they sort of tentatively approach each other. It's probably just a matter of them seeing each other daily and seeing there's nothing to fight about :shrug:

I know it will work out. There are days when set backs will occur, but all we can do is start over and keep trying.

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I haven't put the screen door idea completely out of my head - we're trying to figure out the logisitcs of how to do it - my house is very odd, and it's rented, so it's complicated (or at least, too complicated for me)..

Yeah, I might get some rescue remedy for all of them - I think Alley needs a shot or two herself :laughing:

Go have a look here: Bach Essences (http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm). There are essences for specific behavior listed there. And you can buy them here: Directly from Nature (http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm).

Maybe looking for a specific essence will help better than just the Rescue Remedy.:shrug:

krdahmer
July 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sorry to hear there was another incident, but I'm sure Jake held his own! And I have to say that if her heat is anything like our PMS... well raving b**** is par for the course! I know I fly off the handle at every little thing! :rolleyes: Once that is out of the equation maybe things will slowly calm down. :fingerscr

Hope the spay went well and she's back home and ok. And I can't remember but have you tried Feliway yet? We are having a lot of success here with Smoke using that (bought it on ebay- much cheaper). I personally like the spray bottle so that you can put it in specific spots that they sleep on etc, so you know the cat that needs it is getting near it. (we do also have a diffuser one near their food station). I have found that if I put the Rescue Remedy type stuff in their water, no one will drink it.:shrug:

Love4himies
July 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Sorry to hear there was another incident, but I'm sure Jake held his own! And I have to say that if her heat is anything like our PMS... well raving b**** is par for the course! I know I fly off the handle at every little thing! :rolleyes: Once that is out of the equation maybe things will slowly calm down. :fingerscr

I would describe being in heat very similar to PMS. One minute they are happy, the next minute, watch out, fur will be flying.

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
How's Ethel doing?

14+kitties
July 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, how is our Ms. Ethel doing? I hope she came through the op ok. :fingerscr
The screen door thing. Can't you take the door that is there off the hinges, store it somewhere, and just put a screen door in it's place for a while? A simple hook/eye to keep it closed. Or 3 or 4 so they don't give under cats weights. :rolleyes:
I know, I make it sound easy, huh? Probably a lot more involved. Hubby just told me it depends on the door and the frames. :shrug:

phoozles
July 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ethel is doing well - she's back home and was VERY loving.. I'm so happy that she won't have to go through all those hormonal changes again! We need to bring her in next week for a check up, and hopefully everything will be fine.

Jake had a bit of a set back last night - he was in the kitchen and suddenly hunched down when he saw Alley with his ears back and started growling and hissing at her.. he crouched in a corner and wouldn't move. About 15 minutes later he was fine - I think he was having flashbacks of his throw down with Ethel the night before.

Jake and Alley are fine now, though - play wrestling and all that, so all is well *phew*

The door to Ethel's room isn't a typical door.. It's a big thick thing that goes right down to the bottom.. It can't 'click' shut - which is why we have to pile stuff against it.. That's our only set back right now - trying to find something that could replace it.. my house, as I've said, is REALLY odd - apparently it used to be a barber shop :shrug:

I haven't tried Feliway or anything yet.. I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't come to that.. I'll look it up on Ebay - I guess it's time.

Chris21711
July 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hope everything works out fine for you Phoozles, even if they never play together, mine never do. As long as there are no fights should be good enough.

:offtopic:Any news on the calico kittens, I mentioned to 14K earlier about listing them on petfinder and infopet. On infopet and canadastrays you can also post pics. Just a thought :)

phoozles
July 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks Chris - I just don't want to see fur fly every day, and I'll be happy!

As for those little calico cuties, haven't nabbed them yet - but my FH said he saw what he thought was the mom the other day, which I'm hoping is the case for the sake of those little darlings..

Two nights ago we saw a kitten cross the street, but it was too fast and we couldn't find it..

We have a cat rescue place fairly close to us (where we adopted Alley) and they are no kill, so I might take them there if/when we manage to catch them again. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'm glad Ethel is doing well. I'm sure her follow-up will find her healthy too.

If it makes you feel any better, I spent the better part of the weekend as well as last night trying to keep Vlad from bugging Oksana and breaking up fights. She's constantly hissing at him and her and Maks had a swatting and hitting match this morning. :rolleyes:

But, there are moments when Vlad and Oksana are next to each other and she'll allow him to lick her head, or she will give him a few licks on the head too. It's like they live to confuse us. I swear, they must get together while we are away and just plan out what they're going to do in front of us.

Some feliway wouldn't hurt. If you can get a diffuser now and put it in their rooms then by the time you are ready to give it another try with Ethel and the others the diffuser might have begun to do it's job.

Chris21711
July 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Nice of you to keep an eye out for them Phoozles :thumbs up

krdahmer
July 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
http://stores.ebay.ca/Tims-Discount-Pet-Supplies_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZk m

That's the guy I bought from on ebay... shipping is fast and not too pricey.

phoozles
July 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Well, I ordered just the spray for now - I'm hoping it works for all kitties involved!

Thanks for the link!