Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Food

ashtoreth
July 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi, I'm new here...

Anyway, we're getting a pup in a few weeks and before he arrives home, I want to get as much information I can about..well everything. I'm an experienced dog owner, but haven't had a dog (or puppy) since 3 years now. But I was offered a husky pup, who will be ready on the 16th of august.

My friend feeds her miniature Aussie shepherd Raw frozen (natures variety) and she swears by it. I admit it seems wonderful for Loki (her dog)
Unfortunately, I know that a husky eats a lot more than a mini Aussie ;)

I also heard about the Instinct type of dry food (still gain-free) for dogs, but I was told not to use it on puppies as its too fat.

Now, what would be the best, in your opinion, for a 8 months old husky?!

I am right now leaning on a more grain-free diet, maybe do a mix between raw-kibbles when hes old enough.

Thanks

G.

rainbow
July 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I feed my siberian husky Orijen and would recommend their puppy formula:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppy.aspx

If you are going to feed raw at a later date make sure that you don't mix them together. You need to feed raw and kibble separately as they don't get digested at the same rate. So you could feed raw in the morning and kibble in the evening.

A good website to check out is www.dogfoodproject.com and click on all the links on the left hand side of the page.

Also www.dogaware.com has alot of great information. :pawprint:

ashtoreth
July 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Seems very nice :) -and- theres a store near my place who sells some

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I have to agree with Orijen as being a great food. We also feed it to all the puppies that come in to our care. We have yet to have one that didn't take to the transition smoothly as long as it's done slowly over a period of 10-14 days.