- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Could Czarina be ready?

July 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Czarina spent the better part of the weekend out in the living area with the rest of the gang. She tentatively allows Maks and Vlad to touch her nose, but she's still skittish about any of them going too near her and swats, and lunges slightly when they come near. Luckily the others know to back away and not invade her space.

More and more she tries to follow me out of the kitchen. I get the feeling she wants to at least be around the others, not to socialize, but I imagine she must be starting to feel closed in and lonely. At least outside with the others, she's got the entire apartment to wander around and like I said, she may not want to socialize with them, but she might just want to be around them and have some company.

I'm wondering if I should at least give it a try and allow her to be out with the others while I'm at work.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I feel like she will never really get used to them being around unless she does associate with them a little closer. But, on the other hand, I can't help but feel worried about leaving her out with the others while I'm not home.

I did walk across the street to the pharmacy yesterday and left them alone for about half an hour, but that was half an hour and they were all snoozing.

I don't want to keep her confined in the kitchen for much longer especially since I do see she wants to go out into the apartment.

Ugh, I'm so confused, I don't know what to do. I'd feel incredibly guilty if I got home to find evidence of a brawl.

July 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I would not allow her unsupervised visits at this point. Plus, you will probably be sitting at your desk wondering if everything is going well.:laughing:

I would start with freedom whenever you are at home for the next week or so to see how that goes.

:offtopic:BTW, I am thinking of putting Sweet Pea on prozac also. She has been flying after Puddles everytime she sees her.:sad: :sorry::offtopic: It has been a year and not getting better. Well actually it was good until Oct when Puddles hissed at her kittens.

July 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I would AG! just keepp giving her the freedom whenever you can and whenever she wants it. I worry that you have made huge steps forward and this could take you back alot! Remember what happenend with your little Kiska? If your at work you cant stop that and with 5 cats it could turn out to be a really bad fight!! Just my opinion though.....


July 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. You're right. The others have taken to visiting her now and then so that's good for her to see them more. And it is better to just let her out when I get home. I arrive at about 5:30 and go to bed at 9:00 or 9:30, so right there she's got a good 3 hours or so, plus the weekends where she's out almost all day.

I do think I'd be sitting here at my desk going nuts thinking about what's going on, and Winston, her and Kiska most certainly hiss at each other more than the others.:rolleyes:

L4H, I thought long and hard about putting Czarina on Prozac. I know many people don't advocate putting their pets on mood altering drugs, but I say those people haven't lived through a dog or cat foaming at the mouth because they are stressed out, or they haven't experienced having a just spayed kitten attacked by another cat.

I didn't want Czarina to be stressed out the second time around, and even though it's not perfect, at least I think she's much improved from the first time around.

My doctor gave me Fluoxetine, which is apparently the formal name or something for Prozac. The tablets are 10mg, but I split them in half because Czarina is only supposed to get 5mg daily.

My vet warned me, it takes a good 3 to 4 weeks to even begin to see any affects. I began with a topical cream, after about a week, she would not let me near her ear so I had to stop. Then it took me another week to get a prescription for the pills. When I got the prescription filled, I basically was starting over.

Crushing them didn't seem to work, because I started mixing the pill with a teaspoon of the food, then putting that pile on top, she'd eat around the medicated pile.:frustrated: Then there were days she didn't eat all her food. So I felt she wasn't getting the entire dosage.

So, finally I bought some Pounce hairball treatment treats. I gave her a few with no pill, and she loved it. So I was able to slip the pill right into the treat, since it's like a little pillow. Now every morning I give her her pill in the treat and she happily eats it up. She even waits for her treat. I'm going on I believe my 3rd week and am hoping to see the affects of the pill. I expect her to be more open to being around the others. My vet specifically told me her coworker has used it in the past with excellent and very successful results. Less hissing, and if they have marking problems those subside as well. She recommended having her on it for 6 months then we will slowly wean her off. By that time she said she should be comfortable with her surroundings and the others so that she will have no need for them.

And they aren't expensive, so since I have to pay out of my pocket, it's not a hardship. I think the last refill was 30 10mg and it cost me $25. I think it's something worth trying.

July 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Yep, what L4H and Winston said. :thumbs up Czarina is fine on her own while you are at work. She can come out when you are home and wander then. She is used to being a solitary cat. You have lots of stuff for her to do during the day when you are at work and you know cats spend the majority of their time sleeping anyway.

July 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'd give it another week or so, the way you are doing it now.... and some food for thought... chances are they are all sleeping when you are at work anyhow. So if she's fine sleeping with them/near them, then you may be ok afterall. I know when I'm not here mine are all snoozing too, cause when I get home thats where I find them (well if they aren't hungry or lonely and meeting me at the door).

All the big scuffles around here happen when I'm home, usually only a few feet away, almost like they're putting on a show for me... trying to get my attention or something. Because when I'm sleeping all is quiet around here as I imagine it is when I'm gone. I imagine yours, like mine are most active in the morning before you leave, and when you get home until bed time. Which if cats sleep 75% of the time, well that is just about their whole day those few hours they are up and about!

Jim Hall
July 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
ii agree geve then all a few more weeks of seperation while you are away

July 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
They really are asleep most of the time. I've observed that on the weekends they really are napping most of the day away. I know they are awake about an hour before I actually get up to get ready. Then those two hours they are up, so that's 3 hours of activity. When I get home, many times Oksana and Maks come down from upstairs. Those two love sleeping in the closet. Vlad and Kiska come to the door yawning and stretching the entire way :laughing: And Czarina is waiting at the gate.

They are up for at least an hour or so, while I give them food and then take a shower and make myself something to eat. Then they play a bit and nap a bit more. When I get up to go to bed finally they go upstairs with me, except Czarina. Vlad finds a spot on the closet floor on a comforter, only to jump up on the bed in the middle of the night, and the others are in bed too.

So yeah, they likely do sleep most of the day away. Maybe get up, poop, pee, eat then sleep.:laughing:

I'll just keep things as they are. Letting her out in the evenings at least gives her a chance to roam and be with the others. LOL, the other day I went upstairs and she was on my bed :D Weekends it's easier to just leave her out all day. I usually put her back in the kitchen mid afternoon, just to give her some alone time then let her out again in the evening. If I have to go out to do some errands I just let her be with the others. I'm not as nervous leaving her out for a short time as I am being away for several hours. Yesterday was no big deal because they were asleep when I went across the street, and they were asleep when I got back about half an hour later.