Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dragonfly and monarch pics

clm
July 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Pretty dragonfly sitting on my lotus flower bud.
Next is a pretty monarch. Last is a monarch that's been around the block a few times. Looks a little worse for wear.

Chaser
July 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Those are fantastic shots - that dragonfly is particulary incredible!

clm
July 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM
There are a few dragonflies with those type of wings around. There's another one with a striking white body. Haven't been able to get a good pick of that one yet. I keep trying though.

Cindy

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Amazing photos clm :thumbs up ! We used to have tonnes of Monarchs in our yard because of all the butterfly weed I had planted (dogs have since trampled it all down :o) . Do you purposefully plant certain flowers in your garden to attract butterflies or did it happen by accident?

clm
July 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I planted one bunch of Joe Pie Weed on purpose for them. They love that plant, that's the one they're sitting on in the pictures. I have milkweed that comes up in the rock garden and leave a lot of it for the monarchs (they lay their eggs on it). Besides, those fat little milkweed pods remind me of the fun I used to have opening them up and seeing all the seeds float out when I was a child.
They go to other flowers in the garden, but I haven't really planted anything else special for them.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Wow... we have the same kind of dragonflies around here--at least they look a lot like that. :o I've never been able to get a picture cuz they're too fast... That's a great shot!!! :thumbs up

I love Joe Pye weed, but doesn't it get pretty big? Not sure I have a sunny spot big enough for it...

14+kitties
July 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I want your camera!! You always manage to take such exceptional pictures!!!!
Beautiful! I think I have seen that dragonfly around too this year. And a few others. Lots of Monarchs too.

hazel - there is a dwarf Joe Pie Weed too. Here's a site.

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=484

luckypenny
July 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM
That's a great shot!!! :thumbs up

It's now the background on my desktop. I told my boys to not change it or I'll erase all of their stuff from the computer :D .

clm
July 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
It's now the background on my desktop. I told my boys to not change it or I'll erase all of their stuff from the computer :D .

:laughing: And they probably have more stuff on that computer than you do. :laughing:

Hazel, JoePie Weed does get about 3ft+ tall. I love it though, you can't kill it. The less fuss a plant needs, the better I like it. :laughing:

14+, I love this camera too. It's a panasonic digital. Can't remember the model, but it has a very large zoom range on it and the image stabilization can't be beat. It was almost $500.00 cheaper than the Fuji my hubby bought me a few years ago, and while the Fuji takes remarkable pictures, it's a whole lot more difficult to operate than this one and the image stabilization on the Fuji isn't nearly as good as this, so in lower light situations especially, a tripod is a must for that camera.

Cindy

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
WOW..... beautiful pics. :cloud9: