Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now I just confused?

14+kitties
July 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
A few of you have been asking what Dale is as far as breed. I figured she was just an exceptionally marked tabby like the rest of my brood.
Then Pipercats posted pics of their beautiful Tia, a bengal. Of course that got me curious to find out more about this breed. She is exceptional looking!! And lo and behold, what did I see.
Tell me what you guys think. The kitty in the right corner of the company logo (bottom). These people breed bengals. If I am correct then Dale, TT and Chip(Tuck) are tabby/bengal crosses?

growler~GateKeeper
July 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I would say it is not likely being a bengal cross since it is an expensive (less likely for them to out wandering around not s/n) & hence rare breed.

Dale is a Classic Tabby as opposed to the rest of your gang which are Mackerel Tabbies.

Some Tabby colour & patterns (http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm) can be found here.

A receptionist in a vets office once said a client was convinced she had a Norwegian Forest Cat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Forest_Cat), when in all likelyhood since they are not common in North American that the lady just had a really big tabby cat :laughing:

Frenchy
July 27th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The kitty in the right corner of the company logo (bottom).

:eek: looks just like Dale !! He may be a cross , why not ? We never know right ?

I love the pattern :lovestruck:

14+kitties
July 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I would say it is not likely being a bengal cross since it is an expensive (less likely for them to out wandering around not s/n) & hence rare breed.

Dale is a Classic Tabby as opposed to the rest of your gang which are Mackerel Tabbies.

Yep, that's probably it growler. I just saw the picture and thought wow, could be her twin!
Are cats like humans? Can their genes be skipped a generation or so and then show up later in new litters? Recessive trait? :shrug:
It's really hard to tell what's out in this bush of ours. All the cats that are coming out of the woodwork!

phoozles
July 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
That's a great link, growler!

Dale and Ethel have the same markings - I'd say that they are classic tabbies. Ethel does have spots on her belly, and the swirly marks on her sides.. I'd say one thing, they're both very pretty! :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
July 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Are cats like humans? Can their genes be skipped a generation or so and then show up later in new litters? Recessive trait? :shrug:

Yes they can have recessive traits, colouring etc.

Duffy for example is a tortie which are 99.99% always female (she is :laughing:)........Her mom was black & white, Duffy's litter had 4 kittens: 1 black & white, 2 white grey & cream kittens & Duffy a tortie..who knows what her father looked like but there is no chance he was a tortie :laughing:

Somewhere in the "family history" there is a gene for tortie colouring :shrug:

krdahmer
July 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wow cool... so mine are all Mackeral tabbies... and Smoke has a 'locket' of white. Neat, thanks.

ancientgirl
July 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
14+ I did some checking the other day too and yep, Dale is a classic tabby. I'd always seen the mackeral and there's another also, so I thought Dale was some Bengal type breed too. Either way she's a cutie.

mona_b
July 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
So Dale is the "silver" classic.:lovestruck:...I have seen one on a cat commercial.And it's driving me nuts as to which one.It's true.Your memory is the first to go with age.....:cry:

There is a bengal breeder in Burlington.And there is also another one in Kincardine where my sister lives.She also shows and breeds St Bernards.

14+kitties
July 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
So Dale is the "silver" classic.:lovestruck:...I have seen one on a cat commercial.And it's driving me nuts as to which one.It's true.Your memory is the first to go with age.....:cry:

There is a bengal breeder in Burlington.And there is also another one in Kincardine where my sister lives.She also shows and breeds St Bernards.

Dang, I thought it was other things that went first with age -*looks down* :o
I guess Dale is silver. In some lights her lighter bands? look almost blonde. Talk about highlights!
It's nice to know I'm not the only classic in the house anymore! :thumbs up

mona_b
July 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Dang, I thought it was other things that went first with age -*looks down* :o

That's second...:D...I won't have to worry about that.There is nothing there to loose........:cry:

You will have to take some close ups of dale.From what I can see,it is the silver.Awwwww blonde highlights....;)

14+kitties
July 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I will have to catch her in the right light. It could just be the way the sun shines on her that make her look blondish.
Some of my guys in the catuary have blondish streaks too. Some have even started to have a slight orangy colour coming out. Weird when they are already a year old. :shrug:

FancyAppy
July 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Dale is beautifully marked. She really is quite stunning.
I enjoyed the website with the cat coat color guide.I wanted one in each color!

14+kitties
July 28th, 2008, 11:30 PM
That was a neat site. Thanks growler!
Fancy Appy - one of each colour could really add to your menagarie! Dale is a cutie. No doubt about it. But then I think all my guys are cuties!! :cloud9:

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Mona, I think it's one of those Purina commercials. I've seen it too. I love that swirl marking. Until a few days ago I had no idea those were classic tabby markings either. I got curious and looked around. I think the site I looked at said that classic patterns were a recessive gene. :shrug:

phoozles
July 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
It's a Friskies commercial - the cat is in some cartoon land chasing after butterflies.

I watch too much TV :o