Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

blood in my cats urine

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
i noticed today that there is some blood in my cats urine. he is a fixed male and i have heard that this is common for them to get. i read a post on a similar topic and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. also, does anyone know a general ballpark of what this is going to cost me when i take him to the vet??

dashi
July 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM
This is usually a sign of a urinary tract infection and it is common in male cats. You will definitely need to take him to your vet as soon as possible. If left untreated it can cause a blockage. He may have crystals as well, which can happen with a uti. One of my furry little ones had one last year. Once he gots his meds it was not long before he got relief. Your vet may even talk to you about changing foods. I have all of mine on human grade food now and it makes a huge difference. As far as cost, it really varies from vet to vet... I hope you can get your kitty in right away! One of my guys is sick right now too (blood in his feces) and have to wait until Tuesday! It's hard when one of our kids gets sick.

Stacer
July 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I've had the pleasure of dealing with FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease). And blood in the urine is a serious warning sign. Like the poster before me said, a blockage could occur, and that would be deadly to your cat.

Taking your cat to the vet is definitely required as these types of infections don't clear up on their own and can be quite painful for your cat (even though they don't show that they're in pain).

As for cost, it depends on your vet, they may just do a urinalysis and give you some anitbiotics, or they may want to do an xray to determine if there are crystals or a blockage forming. Regardless of cost, your kitty needs to see a vet.

Afterwards, the sure fire way to avoid this sort of thing in the future is to feed exclusively canned/wet food so that he gets plenty of miosture in his diet.

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
yeah im not sure how long hes been this way...he hasnt been acting any different. i have had cats all my life, most of them male, all fixed and i have never had this problem before!

ugh this sucks. having pets and being a college student do not work well together...looks like im going to be bugging my parents for money once more.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Masha
July 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
You need to take your cat to the vet ASAP. There could be a blockage and it can be deadly if you wait.

Let us know how your vet visit went, good luck! :goodvibes:

Love4himies
July 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
This could be an infection or crystals, crystals can cause blockages and your cat may die very quickly. This cat needs to see a vet now!

Cats can hide pain until it is too late.

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
ok so i took him to the vet and after being there for waaaay longer than i wanted to and now being $200 poorer there is no blockage. :thumbs up

they took x-rays and his bladder was pretty much completely empty, no stones or crystals visible. the vet thinks its probably bacterial. :D

now i get to struggle to give my cat the bajillion meds she sent home with me!
one is an oral solution, sorta thick and all the rest are pills...i know he wont do the whole 'put it in can food' cause we've tried that before and he just eats around the pill.

ANY TIPS??

Love4himies
July 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Is there two of you that can pill? Try putting him on your lap facing outward open his mouth wide, have the other person drop the pill down the back of the throat, close his mouth, holding it closed, rub under the chin. After 30 seconds have a large plastic syringe ready with watered down canned food and slowly insert in the side of his mouth to get him to swallow. Try to keep the mouth closed as much as possible.

Canned food or raw is the best way to avoid any issues in the future, it will keep the kidneys and bladder flushed.

Good luck. and keep us posted. If you can, we would love to see pictures.:lovestruck:

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
there are actually three! ill let you know how it goes!

hes such a character! and a big boy! i knew he probably weighed more than the average cat ive had (hes not overweight, just big) and today when they weighed him at the vet he was 13.2 lbs!!

ill post up some pics soon!

Love4himies
July 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
there are actually three! ill let you know how it goes!

hes such a character! and a big boy! i knew he probably weighed more than the average cat ive had (hes not overweight, just big) and today when they weighed him at the vet he was 13.2 lbs!!

ill post up some pics soon!

GOOD LUCK

Can't wait to see pictures.

Winston
July 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Lilbit you can spend a few more bucks :laughing: and buy pill pockets at the pet store and hide the pills in them...some cats figure it out though! Glad its nothing serious...cant wait for pics!

Cindy

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
mmmkay...im just FULL of questions today! and this one is kinda weird :p

how can i get him to pee!

the vet sent me home with a specimen packed and i need to collect a urine sample. since he is outdoor (but still litter box trained 'cause he comes into the garage during the night) i have him in my bathroom right now with a bowl of water and a litter box with the non-absorbent litter.

anything else i can do to help this process along?!

LilBit
July 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
here is one of my other cat (not the one ive been talking about in this thread)

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/Lil_Bit_89/IMG00004.jpg

her name is lucy. shes somewhere around 4 years old.

sorry the pic is huge!!!!

bendyfoot
July 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I once was given the non-absorbing litter to collect a sample. My cat and her litter box and her water went in the bathroom. And nothing happened for HOURS...like all day. I finally gave up and took the litter out of the box (to reuse it), and she promptly peed in the empty box. She hated the texture of the no-sorb. If your guy won`t go WITH the litter, just try using a clean empty litter box.

LilBit
August 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
sorry i havent been on here in a bit!

so i took in the urine sample. the UA showed blood (of course), crystals (none blocking tho!) and i high protein level. the vet started him on an SO diet for 5 weeks and then well do another UA to see whats up. he HATES the food tho!

Pit Bull Love
August 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
ugh this sucks. having pets and being a college student do not work well together...looks like im going to be bugging my parents for money once more.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

I was going to suggest, if you do have an income for living expenses and such, one thing that really helped me out having multiple pets is that I put away $20 a month for each pet in a savings account for emergencies. It doesn't seem like much but it really has been a life saver especially once my crew started to age. I did look into pet insurance back in the day, but at the time, they told me they wouldn't cover a pit bull and I was so mad, I never looked into it again and decided to do it on my own. I think the pet insurance is pretty reasonable as well. It might be worth looking into that way you won't have a big bill to scramble for all at once.

sugarcatmom
August 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
the vet started him on an SO diet for 5 weeks and then well do another UA to see whats up. he HATES the food tho!

Is that the dry or canned Urinary SO? Either way, the ingredients are uber crappy and you don't have to feed it, despite what the vets may tell you. Your cat is smart not to like it!

Dry - URINARY SO 30 TM/MC

Chicken Meal, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavour, Soy Protein Isolate, Powdered Cellulose, Salt, Dried Egg Powder, Dried Brewers Yeast,.... DL-Methionine,....

That's some heavy-duty grain action! Seeing as cats are carnivores, this food would be better suited for livestock. Then they add salt in an effort to get the cat to drink more, thus hopefully flushing out the crystals. Hello? Feeding wet food to begin with would be a quicker (and healthier) shortcut.

DL-Methionine is added as a urine acidifier, since struvite crystals form in alkaline urine (and alkaline urine develops because of too much carbohydrate in the diet and not enough meat). Problem there is that if you don't monitor your cats urine PH at home, it can become too acidic, increasing the risk of developing calcium oxalate crystals, which can only be removed via surgery.

The most important dietary concern for a cat with crystals is to feed it a meat-based wet food. In most cases, this is all that's needed to naturally acidify the urine and prevent struvite crystals. It will also ensure a sufficient moisture intake, further lessening the likelihood of crystal formation. Cats eating only kibble can never drink enough to make up for the water deficit (they've evolved eating prey with 60-80% moisture, and therefore have a low thirst drive).

My suggestion is to take the Urinary SO back for a refund, just say your cat won't eat it. Find some good canned food like Wellness or Innova Evo 95% meat or Nature's Variety Instinct (all grain-free) and feed that instead. Stay away from fish flavours because they can exacerbate urinary tract problems. You could also pick up some urine PH test strips and periodically test your kitty's urine to see if it's generally staying in the recommended range for cats (6.0-6.5).

Some links for you:
http://holisticat.com/flutd.html
http://www.catinfo.org/

Love4himies
August 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sugarcatmom is right on with her advice, your cat should be on a high quality canned and no kibble.