Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jermy's growing pains are back

Masha
July 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM
My poor guy, its the third time that he has growing pains. Several months ago he was limping on his front paw, we took him to the vet freaking out that he may have elbow displasya and several X-rays later they told us that he has growing pains (cant tell you how relieved i was), they gave us anti inflamatory meds and he was okay in a week.

About two months ago it came back on his other front paw but it went away in 1-2 weeks and didnt require meds because it wasnt as severe.

Now this week it is back again!!! :wall::wall: now on his hind leg. My poor guy, he limps and we cant take him for walks or to the park because he has to rest.

The vet gave us some info on this and it said that growing pains tend to reappear on other legs. I wish we could do something to prevent this, but it seems that no one knows what causes this and that GSDs are most prone to this.

Okay, end of my rant...

mona_b
July 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry you are going through this.

My cousin went through this with her GSD.

Now that it has gone to the back,there are things to watch out for.Temperature,not wanting to eat or drink(with the temp).This is where my cousin had the most issues with hers.And because of this,a few years later he had problems.

Different things cause Pano.But her vet mentioned something important that usually causes it.

Going up and down stairs at a young age is not a good thing.Also too much hard exercise and running.Again at a young age.

I have been lucky with my three GSD's.Past and present.

Just keep an eye on him now.

Masha
July 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
His appetite is good, but we are keeping an eye on him, cutting off all exercise for now. Hopefully he feels better soon... :fingerscr

When we saw the vet i asked her specifically what we shoud avoid/do to help prevent this and she said that there is nothing that has been directly linked to this, rather that there are many theories however none have been proven...

What problems did your cousin's dog have later on because of this? I read and was told by my vet that there are generally no long term effects....

14+kitties
July 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
No advise. Sounds like Mona had some sound stuff though! :thumbs up Just wanted to send some :goodvibes: for a quick recovery!!