Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I be worried?

shadesofpurple
July 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone,

First off, new poster here! I have to admit, I've been a long-time lurker and have already gotten a wealth of information from this boards with regards to kitten health, the responsibilities of pet ownership, as well as the occasional bizarre/interesting/sad pet stories of fellow animal lovers. A million thanks!

As you may have gathered, I am also a new kitten owner! :cat: Star was a 8 week-old fluffball when I adopted her, and now she is already a bouncing (most of the time flying-off-the-walls) 4-month old big kitty! In general, she is doing well - had bouts of diarrhea for which she was treated for (coccidia infection) and have all of her shots up to date. However, something new has come up:

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that her left front paw had a little red/pink speck on it. Upon closer inspection (much to her protest), I realized that it was a little raised bump, which looked like the skin had been scraped. She plays pretty rough and has been running into walls, chairs, and table legs so I thought she might have scraped herself in that way. However, a few hours later, the bump got a little bigger and I got worried: checked out this site and others with regards to skin infections/allergies. For general disinfection, I put a couple of drops of Gentian violet on her skin. After that, the bump went away pretty fast in a couple of hours, and the fur grew back fully in a few days. Meanwhile, she didn't seem bothered by neither the bump nor the purple solution at all.

However, today, I noticed another little pink bump on her right paw (on the underside this time). It wasn't as noticeable as the one before, but similar characteristics. Now I'm truly worried. Had she scraped herself again? My biggest fear had been ringworm, but she's been a strictly indoor/apartment cat, I don't know where she could have caught anything. Has anyone had any experiences with this type of skin problem before? Should I take her to the vet? Your advice is much appreciated! :shrug:

kashtin's kin
July 26th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Welcome to the board, and congrats on becoming a kitty carer :thumbs up. I must apologize?? in that although I've had up to 7 indoor cats (not including the outdoor ferals!) for quite a few years, I don't recall dealing with what you've described. But I am very sure that you will have some BB regulars respond with helpful input...sometimes the w'end is a bit slow-or not!

Your kitty's problem, although needing addressing, at least sounds not too dire, hopefully. Oh, and if you post in the 'health forum', you'll be right in the thick of health issues, so that would be a good move-should get more attention there?

Anyhow, as you've seen, this is a kind, supportive and helpful BB; someone with suggestions/help should be along fairly soon :fingerscr. In the meantime, enjoy your kitty, and post a pic or 2 (even of the 'problem') if at all possible. Good luck :cat:.