Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Extremely sad news story

SolaMio
July 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi all... I looked briefly through recent threads and didn't see any discussion on this, but if it's a repeat of another thread, I apologize.

I just saw this story on the 6:00 news (CTV Atlantic, sorry- could not find any link to the broadcast info). The same story also appeared in the Chronicle Herald (Halifax, NS paper): http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9007736.html

The whole situation is very bizarre and tragic. On the news broadcast one of the owners looked so devastated (as I'm sure anyone who experienced this would be).

:sad::sad::sad: for those poor pups.

Chaser
July 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
That's really sick. I feel awful for those puppies and it's very sad for the people who got scammed. BUT, I have to admit...how could you not think picking up a puppy in a parking lot isn't kind of sketchy??? I know sometimes rescues have to organize adoptions between two points and such, but that seems kind of different. Would you not look a puppy over very carefully before handing over $500 for it? A very good lesson in either rescuing dogs or finding a respectable, ethical breeder! Anything that seems sketchy like that is just not a good idea...

SolaMio
July 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Totally agree! I definitely would not buy an animal (or anything else, come to think of it) in that manner. But, they did make that decision, and I doubt they would make it again. By the sounds of it they won't be receiving their money back, either. There are two companies involved- one is the "breeder" and the other the "distributor". According to the TV report, 18 of the 27 puppies have died. I wonder what the autopsy reports will show, and also the investigation. They sure didn't deserve that awful fate.

Chaser
July 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
:yell::yell::yell: ARGH!!!!!

I just saw a news story on these people, I cannot believe they are willing to show their faces on the news....they should be so ashamed! Their "Puppies-R-Us" sham of a company is basically just trafficking pups from puppy mills. And they had the nerve to cry about how THEY got scammed by their "supplier" and admitted that another 12 of the 27 puppies died before they could sell them to people! They make me absolutely sick....

And I'm so ticked off with the news coverage of this because instead of taking the opportunity to do an expose on puppy mills, they are focusing their attention on interviews with the idiots who are whining and crying about losing their money even though they were dumb enough to buy a puppy out of a van in a parking lot!!!!

I can't even beging to imagine what must be happening at this mill to result in such a high death rate in these puppies :sad: :cry:

SolaMio
July 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
:yell::yell::yell: ARGH!!!!!

I just saw a news story on these people, I cannot believe they are willing to show their faces on the news....they should be so ashamed! Their "Puppies-R-Us" sham of a company is basically just trafficking pups from puppy mills. And they had the nerve to cry about how THEY got scammed by their "supplier" and admitted that another 12 of the 27 puppies died before they could sell them to people! They make me absolutely sick....

And I'm so ticked off with the news coverage of this because instead of taking the opportunity to do an expose on puppy mills, they are focusing their attention on interviews with the idiots who are whining and crying about losing their money even though they were dumb enough to buy a puppy out of a van in a parking lot!!!!

I can't even beging to imagine what must be happening at this mill to result in such a high death rate in these puppies :sad: :cry:

My sentiments exactly.. Well put, ChaseMom. I was too irate yesterday about it to write anything coherent. My province is having its share of horrible animal abuse/deaths in the news this year. I wonder if it was a virus (parvo?) or something they all contracted?? I think there were many different toy breeds, if I'm not mistaken. I couldn't make heads or tails of what the "supplier" was trying to explain-- were the dogs too young to be separated from the mothers? It all seemed very convoluted.
:rip: little pups...

lotus
July 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
That is so awful, those poor pups.:sad: What bothers me most is why did they go a head and pay for a puppy that looked so ill to start with? Why did they not get the plate number off the van and call the SPCA so she could have been stopped? I hate puppy mills!!! Why can't we get the word out there to people about these places? Although very graphic to watch the HS and SPCA should use the commercials on TV and show people where these puppies come from and where the moms and dads still have to live. Maybe then people will understand the terrible life the dogs live, and why not to buy animals that are in pet stores or from the back of a van. This stuff sickens me and makes me so angry:evil: when will the suffering for these animals stop?

chico2
July 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM
The name Gail Benoit seems familiar,maybe she is the puppy-mill owner herself.:evil:

aslan
July 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I thought i recognized the name to Chico, and this is why:

Gail Benoit ARRESTED! 10 sick puppies seized.

Taken from PetAbuse.com this is the story from the Chronicle Herald Friday October 26th, 2007...

Provincial SPCA investigators seized puppies from a property in Roxville, near Digby, on Friday for the second day in a row.

Every RCMP officer available in the town Friday also went to the blue bungalow on Highway 217, where things turned ugly in a hurry.

Gail Benoit was home when the officers arrived and was arrested. She was screaming obscenities and rocking violently in the back seat of a police car when she was taken away.

Cpl. Trish McQuarrie later took photos of a large gob of phlegm on the plastic shield between the front and back seats where Ms. Benoit allegedly spat.

"All we’re there for is to keep the peace . . . and to ensure that the SPCA officers are able to do their job," Cpl. McQuarrie said.

Eight puppies were seized from the home and garage on Friday after two were taken away on Thursday.

Ms. Benoit’s husband, Dana Bailey, was not home during the raid but he arrived at the Digby RCMP detachment shortly after 5:30 p.m. and began shouting at officers.

"What were you doing at my house again today?" he said, continuing to shout and curse.

"You’d better let her out," he said, referring to his wife. "She’s had enough. Do you hear me? She’s had enough."

He then jumped into his minivan and drove off.

A sign on the rural home’s mailbox says Puppies Us. A middle word or letter appears to be missing.

Judith Gass, past-president of the Nova Scotia SPCA, said investigators at the property on Thursday found more pups thought to be infested with parasites, so they returned on Friday.

Some of the pups had bulging abdomens and likely carried large loads of worms, Ms. Gass said.

She said charges under the provincial Animal Cruelty Prevention Act and the Criminal Code are pending against one or more occupants of the home.

The SPCA was acting on complaints, Ms. Gass said, and the investigation will continue.

Magicwildwolf69
July 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Poor puppies may they be pain free now
I don't understand how people could just pick a puppy pay 500 dollars for it then look at it after the women drives away. I mean anyone with some common sense knows if something is skinny and looks sick it probability is sick. Plus goes to show you always research before getting a dog/cat or any animal to see what its suppose to be like. :wall:

SolaMio
July 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
The name sounds familiar because it has been in the news a LOT in the past few years. If you google it, you will find a blog from a dog lover in Halifax NS who has followed this story for years. OK I know a blog is not necessarily authoritative as a source, but there are links to a great deal of articles on this very topic. I don't know that I want to post the link for a personal blog... But you can easily search it, and it's one of the first hits you'll get.

chico2
July 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I actually thought she was a miller in Quebec,who had moved to Nova Scotia,after being raided in Quebec.
My memory place games with me sometimes:laughing:
The most she will get is a fine,which is the same as a permit continue her despicable business:evil:

aslan
July 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
nope your memory is just fine chico, she was from quebec, they kinda chased her out of the province, so now she's novascotia's problem apparantly.

chico2
July 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Aslan,OMG,so it is the same person...it is a very lucrative business to be in $500 for a sick pup,x10,$5000 taxfree $$$$.
This evil woman should be locked up for a few years,she obviously has not learned her lesson.
:evil:

SolaMio
July 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
nope your memory is just fine chico, she was from quebec, they kinda chased her out of the province, so now she's novascotia's problem apparantly.

LUCKY US!! (says SolaMio the Nova Scotian) :wall:

mona_b
July 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yup chico,she's the same one that we once talked about on here a while back............:evil::evil:

chico2
July 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Mona,there are sooo many reasons this woman should be in jail,fraud,animal-abuse etc...
I am sure the judge in Quebec ordered her not to own any more dogs and she's still doing the same,is that not enough to throw this evil person in jail???

mona_b
July 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
chico,the system SUCKS....:wall::wall:

She figured if she moved away to another province,changes the name by removing the "R"she wouldn't get caught.But she didn't change her name..

I truley hope she gets some hard jail time now.

lotus
July 31st, 2008, 06:36 AM
chico,the system SUCKS....:wall::wall:

She figured if she moved away to another province,changes the name by removing the "R"she wouldn't get caught.But she didn't change her name..

I truley hope she gets some hard jail time now.

Your right mona the animal abuse laws suck in this country.:mad: She will likely get a fine and slap on the hand.
The puppy mill Sugar was saved from in April was raided again in June did he learn from the first raid I don't think so. To top it off rumor is he is up and running again:evil: These people have no heart and no remorse for what they do the laws have to change in order to stop these jerks.

chico2
July 31st, 2008, 06:51 AM
If I was a police-officer,working hard at nabbing criminals,I would seiously doubt my job,when you constantly see people walking away unpunished,no matter what the crime.
Yes,our system certainly sucks:shrug: