Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Cat who's Dog Friendly....

poodletalk
July 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM
There's a stray kitten hanging around my neighbourhood, (he looks like Frenchy's Monsieur le Chat) I have a place to put him, but I can't catch him. He goes into hiding and only appears when I'm out walking my dog whose not cat friendly at all!

I was away last week,a neighbour who's helping me to catch him has the same problem, the cat comes out of hiding when she has her dog. We go out walking ALL the time without our dogs to get him but we NEVER see him.

This morning I was walking Maggie, it was pretty early the cat sat right infront of us, he's skin and bones...I tied Maggie to a telephone pole near an apartment building and tried to get the cat. Maggie was rrrooing so much; someone came out of the apartment building and yelled at me because of all the noise she was making. Next thing I knew the cat disappeared again.

I went home, opened a tin of tuna and left it in the area where I last saw him.

How can I catch this cat without using a humane trap? (I can easily get one, but I'm sure the neighbours will toss it in the garbage) I'm leaving food out, but I'm not sure if he's eating it since we have ALOT of raccoons in the area. Anyone has any suggestions? (Walking a cat friendly dog isn't an option either, I don't have one and my neighbours that I know don't have one either)

14+kitties
July 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Can you and your neighbour go out walking with just one dog? That would leave the other one free to grab the kitty if he came out. :shrug:

poodletalk
July 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Great suggestion 14+kitties, she's on vacation in WildWood for the next three weeks.:sad:

14+kitties
July 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ok, so how about a friend? Maybe she/he could hold your dog on leash while you get the kitten? I don't know. Grasping at straws when you can't use the normal methods of catching a stray. It sounds like you have some really "nice" neighbours. :rolleyes:

poodletalk
July 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
My immediate neighbours aren't animal friendly but the area I live in is very 'dog friendly"

I can call a friend, but I also need to find away to get this kitten on my own, since I tend to see the cat early in the mornings and late at night. (I work during the week) It would have worked this morning if my dog didn't make so much noise:evil:

I guess I need to start carrying treats in my pockets, some for my dogs and some for the cat.

krdahmer
July 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I was gonna suggest something like temptations or pounce treats... the really good smelly junk foody ones... should at least help you get closer.

Frenchy
July 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I don't have one and my neighbours that I know don't have one either)

Too bad I'm not a neighbor , my dogs are all cat friendly.

I was going to suggest Buzz but I don't think I had Monsieur le chat when I fostered him. Buzz isn't cat friendly ?

poodletalk
July 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I saw the cat again tonight with Maggie, this time I had food for him and I tied Maggie to the telephone post again. Maggie like usual was very vocal, at least it wasn't in the morning and no one yelled at me.

I put the food on the ground, the cat didn't eat or moved until we crossed the street. At least he ate! I brought Maggie back home, came back with to his hang out with a bowl of water and he was still eating. I was close to him but NOT too close.

I think it's a matter of time, patience and trust for me to catch this cat. Long as I keep feeding him, he will get to trust me. Tomorrow, I'm going to buy him sardines and maybe some toys that may entise him to get close to me.

I think Buzz likes cats, I didn't think about him....but I'm not sure if Buzz's Dad who's overly protective would lend me Buzz.

Frenchy
July 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
but I'm not sure if Buzz's Dad who's overly protective would lend me Buzz.

:laughing: too cute !

Your best bet sounds like the food thing :goodvibes:

14+kitties
July 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
So you need to get Buzz AND Buzz's dad then! :thumbs up :D

If you are doing the trust route then it may be three weeks before you can get close enough to get him. Then your friend will be back and you can do the one dog, one to catch. :shrug:

poodletalk
July 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Personally, I don't want anyone involved trying to catch this cat unless it's my neighbour who went away for three weeks or someone in rescue.

I know Buzz's Dad and Mom, my request won't go over well with them and I will never hear the end of it, especially if I don't get the cat on the first try.

I'm going to try the food route, sardines and I'm hoping he will eventually move his hang out from down the street to my back porch. If that happens, I can put out a cat carrier, put food in the carrier and close the door when he gets in.

Right now, my main focus is to get him to eat and put some much needed weight on him.

Did I mention, he looks like Monsieur le Chat?

Frenchy
July 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Did I mention, he looks like Monsieur le Chat?

Yes you did :frustrated:

:laughing: I've been known to adopt one cat while on my vacation , for the past 2 years ... I will be on vacation in a week :rolleyes: but this is not a good time to get another one right now. :sad:

Rainy
July 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I am only guessing but since this cat keeps coming out when you are walking dogs then maybe it lives with dogs and is not homeless.Besides being skinny does it look injured or is it because it is so young?My dogs are cat friendly.......
My cat is an indoor cat 90% of the time but he insists on walking with us(me and my 2 dogs)almost every walk untill it starts getting close to winter then he hibernates.

NamaraPets
July 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I wonder if you could understand cat you would find it only comes out to taunt your dog :D

poodletalk
July 26th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I am only guessing but since this cat keeps coming out when you are walking dogs then maybe it lives with dogs and is not homeless.Besides being skinny does it look injured or is it because it is so young?My dogs are cat friendly.......My cat is an indoor cat 90% of the time but he insists on walking with us(me and my 2 dogs)almost every walk untill it starts getting close to winter then he hibernates.

I think it did live with a dog once upon a time, but not anymore. I have people in the area as well whose cat follows them on walks but this cat is always outside no matter how late or early I walk. I've seen him/her for awhile so has my neighbour.

Majority of the time when I see the cat, it's always around the same two apartment buildings, he's wants in but no one lets him in.

No he doesn't really taunt my dog, I think he's looking for his dog and owner.

14+kitties
July 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
So it sounds like someone moved and dumped him? :evil: In those cases I just wish for them a case of instant karma!

Rainy
July 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Well in that case if your trying to trap him then chat to him every time you see him and tell him c,mon now let's go in side and things like that and see if he follows you.He may just think he's a dog.
Mine really really thinks he's a dog.He comes when called and he pooped twice on our walks right out in the open and he did not try to bury it.I think I may be the only person that has had to pick up cat poop on a walk!He's a freak.........:laughing:
Good luck trying to catch the kitty!

poodletalk
August 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Oh No, There's Kittens.................three Of Them I See

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Oh my! Sounds like it's trap time? But you said the neighbours would take a trap. :shrug:
Are all of the kittens friendly? Is it possible a neighbour owns them and is just being a huge :loser: letting them out?
Unless you are able to spend time out there trying to befriend these kitties you may have problems. :fingerscr they will be easy to catch.

poodletalk
August 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I only discovered the kittens tonight, they are in such a perfect hiding spot it's imposible to know they are there unless you look, it's very hard to see and it's impossible to get a hold of them on your own.

I have no idea if there friendly, I know they can eat on their own since I through food down 'way down" to them and I heard them eating it. Where they are, there so low down and to get out of their cement wall dungeon they need to jump REALLY high...I don't know where I would put the trap because where they are hiding is near a garage door for an apartment building. (I need to take a picture of it, to explain it better)

I'm thinking, maybe a trap wouldn't work but a long net to scope them up from below? I have to speak to my friend who does TNR to see if she has a net that long.

It's all very frusterating to me....:frustrated:

14+kitties
August 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Let's hope she has a long net and some heavy gloves for when they come up in the net. They will be some ticked!! I am sending some :goodvibes: for these guys. Good luck!

Frenchy
August 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Oh No, There's Kittens.................three Of Them I See

Oh crap , 3 more :sad:

poodletalk
August 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM
3 more little Monsieur Le Chats running around, I don't know what I'll do if their feral. Lets hope they are friendly little kittens and they are easily catched!:thumbs up:goodvibes:

I have to go feed them know....

poodletalk
August 7th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Just came back feeding them, I only saw one but probably the 2 are hiding underneath the old tires.

While I was walking back home, I saw a cat....then it clicked it's Moustache and his family moved two weeks ago!!! :yell::yell::yell:

I'm hoping he's not stray, maybe his owners gave him to somene else? But he's hanging around where he use to live, near me! :cry::yell::frustrated:

aslan
August 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I just don't understand people. how can you raise an animal, then just ditch it. Like the mentality that it would take just astounds me. It's ok i'll just let him/her loose they'll be fine.

chico2
August 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Oh no Poodletalk,I just read all the post about this kitty,must have missed them before.
The kittens is probably why she was so very skittish,any improvement in the mom??
How do you always find yourself in these heartbreaking,frustrating situation:shrug:
My hubby would say,it's because you look for trouble,see things other people don't,or they see it and don't care,but you do:cat:
You know you have a big cheering session behind you,sending :goodvibes::goodvibes:and :pray:you will get the satisfaction of seeing these little ones safe:fingerscr

chico2
August 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
OMG,not another one:yell:
People are such evil morons,maybe they left a forwarding address and they can be charge with abandoning an animal,fat chance of course....and it would not help the kitty.

Jim Hall
August 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
how are the rescues up there anyone one take them in?

Frenchy
August 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm hoping he's not stray, maybe his owners gave him to somene else?
:rolleyes: I'm not that optimistic :frustrated:
how are the rescues up there anyone one take them in?

:sad: much too full , all of them. :sad:

poodletalk
August 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
My neighbour is finally home, the lady who does TNR is going to lend us her net and we're going to scoop the kittens out of their hiding spot. We have to just cordinate it when we're all home.

When we get the kittens, we will work on getting the mother

Does anyone want 3 feral kittens, let me know. :frustrated:

chico2
August 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Poodletalk good luck,I am glad you have a caring collaborator to help out:fingerscr:cat:

14+kitties
August 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I was wondering about those little ones. :sad: I have been busy with my own feral kittens. If we were closer I would take the babies and put them in with the others in their own crate. It's just so sad but it's a story that gets played out all the time. :sad:

Love4himies
August 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Good luck getting the kittens and momma.:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:

poodletalk
August 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
My friend who's a vet tech will be coming over to my place on Thursday morning showing me how to trap the kittens properly with a net. :thumbs up

We want to trap the mother cat with a trap cage, but I'm worried someone will through it out. Just the other day, someone put my bowls for the mother cat in the garbage. :frustrated:

14+kitties
August 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
It's too bad people can't respect other people's stuff. If you left a note on it and said please don't throw it out would they respect it? If not they are :loser:s!
Good luck Thurs morn! I hope you manage to catch them all. :fingerscr

poodletalk
August 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I can't reach them with the net, I just tried:frustrated: If I can't, my friend won't be able to either, she's much shorter then me. (They are in a hole at least 1-2 basements below ground surronded by a cement wall)

Frenchy
August 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Just the other day, someone put my bowls for the mother cat in the garbage. :frustrated:

What about leaving a note ?

chico2
August 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
What kind of :loser:would begrudged a momma cat her food,:evil:I would be vivid!
What can you do now,since you cannot reach these little guys??
I wish it was like on Animal Cops(animal planet)where they go to great length to save even one little kitten,but this is real life,with plenty of jerks around,not TV.
Poodletalk,I know you will try everything possible and thank you for that:thumbs up

poodletalk
August 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I want to show you why I'm having such a hard time reaching them...

The picture with the tires, if you look really hard on the left handside inside the tires, you will see 2 little heads. (The third kitten was hiding inside the tire rim)

poodletalk
August 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I want to show you why I'm having such a hard time reaching them...

The picture with the tires, if you look really hard on the left handside inside the tires, you will see 2 little heads. (The third kitten was hiding inside the tire rim)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kitteninsidetires.jpg

Where the pipes are, that's where I lean over to see them.
The other parts of the wall is too higher for me to see over.

This is what the whole thing looks like:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/kittenhidingspot2.jpg

Chris21711
August 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Poodletalk - I know it sounds mean, but do you think that you could reach them with a ketch-pole?

14+kitties
August 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Ok, so now I have another stupid question. Do you know anyone who rapels and who is a cat lover and would not be afraid to get a few scratches? Then they could hook up something to go down there and get the kittens. They could attach a carrier or something to their belt to bring the kittens up. I know, crazy idea, but sometimes crazy is good.

If you don't know anyone I googled clubs in Quebec. Unfortunately I don't speak/read French so can't tell you if any are close to you or not. :shrug: I figure you could phone and ask if someone wants to perform a humanitarian act and save some kitties.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Rapel+clubs+in+Quebec&meta=

Chris21711
August 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Frenchy doesn't weigh much, maybe she would be game :lightbulb:

Melinda
August 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM
a square of cloth, 4 corners tied to a main rope so that it will lay flat on the bottom of the pit...like we use to make parachutes when we were kids....toss chicken in the center of it, when/if a kitten goes there to eat, gently pull up the "now" bunched up bag/net

Frenchy
August 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Frenchy doesn't weigh much, maybe she would be game :lightbulb:

:laughing: :rolleyes: :eek: are you trying to get me killed ? :laughing:

Is this in Iles Des Soeurs or in Montreal Poodletalk ?

Frenchy
August 27th, 2008, 11:31 AM
a square of cloth, 4 corners tied to a main rope so that it will lay flat on the bottom of the pit...like we use to make parachutes when we were kids....toss chicken in the center of it, when/if a kitten goes there to eat, gently pull up the "now" bunched up bag/net

I like this solution better than me going in there :laughing:

Chris21711
August 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:laughing: :rolleyes: :eek: are you trying to get me killed ? :laughing:

Is this in Iles Des Soeurs or in Montreal Poodletalk ?

It's not hard to do, believe me :D

poodletalk
August 27th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It's right across the street where I live. I would have never have know their was kittens, Maggie started pulling and barking hysterically at the brick wall. I thought that was where the adult cat was hiding, so I took alook and I found kittens!

Chris21711
August 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Wishing you all the luck poodletalk. Melinda's idea might work, maybe.

ashtoreth
August 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
well im sure im a bit heavier than frenchy, but I could give it a go, if I can find my gear (we just moved and all LOL)

14+kitties
August 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Melinda's idea is a good one too. I would think you would have to yank pretty fast on the cloth to get it closed so kitties couldn't get out? :shrug:
And you have a taker on the rapeling!!! Thanks ashtoreth! :thumbs up

chico2
August 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Poodletalk,in no way was I downplaying your efforts,it's just on TV they'll do anything to rescue a little kitten.
I know you would too,anything humanely possible:pray:
Do you think as the kittens get older,they can get out on their own??

poodletalk
August 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Chico, I never thought you were downplaying my rescue attemps. I just wanted to show everyone why I was having so much problems rescuing these kittens.

I do think they can jump out of the hole when they get older, I just wanted to catch them at a very young age so we can start working with them if there feral.

aslan
August 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
poodletalk, from what i can see there is only the one way in right, a person will fit over the edge. What about one of those ladders you can get to put out your house window incase of fire, it would be safe enough to go down and up. you can get them in either rope or a metalish one that folds up. I would have a second person with you tho to hold the ladder and to pass the kitties to.

krdahmer
August 28th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ya if someone brave could get right in there that would be perfect! I just wanted to send more :goodvibes: and wish you luck! :fingerscr

Such cute little faces (and one cutie bum)... they look curious about you... so hopefully they'll be happy to be caught!

poodletalk
August 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
After sending the pictures to my friend who does TNR she thinks a net isn't the best idea, she feels the kittens can get out between the holes.

She has offered to "jump" from the landing down below, which isn't the best idea, she'll get hurt. (I haven't emailed her yet) I will look into getting a ladder to rescue the kittens.

The cat rescue will be sometime during the next coming week(s), I'm very busy for the next two week-ends. (Birthday party and the SPCA Monteregie dogwalk)

The best thing about my friend who does TNR, she's also a vet tech so she will be able to give me the exact age of the kittens and if the kittens have any health issues.

She wants me to switch food for the mother cat to kitten food since the kittens still lactate off of her which I will buy tonight.

I never thought a kitten rescue could be so complicated.

Thank-you for anyones help and advice!!

aslan
August 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
poodletalk not the best picture but you can get the idea, this is the type of ladder i'm talking about.

Frenchy
August 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much for all of this Poodletalk , dog knows how you're already have your plate full :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Good luck with the rescue. It would be great to have somebody with kitten rescue to help, they know what to expect, those tiny kittens can bite hard, even when you have leather gloves on.

14+kitties
August 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM
The best of luck to you! We are all keeping our :fingerscr that everything goes well. L4H is right! They do bite hard. :rolleyes:

ShadowandIshta
August 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
if only i lived over there i would totaly help help you, i have a telescoping ladder from canadian tire ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672905&bmUID=1219946778233&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443301725&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true ) and it would be purfect. good luck with your rescue.

phoozles
August 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

poodletalk
August 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Aslan, where would I get a ladder like that?

aslan
August 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Canadian Tire carries them...i would assume most hardware stores would too.

poodletalk
September 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure someone called Animal Patrol about me while I was at work, the kittens are gone and the tires they were hiding in are now on the curb for garage. :evil:

I just called animal patrol, they are closed and I called the landlord of the building and I got his voicemail. :yell:

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Who's your animal control over there Poodletalk ? I mean where do they take the animals ? Does Nun's Island have a pound ?

poodletalk
September 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Patrouille canine G.L

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Patrouille canine G.L

Never heard of them , do you think the kittens will be ok ? :fingerscr

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow! You really do have a bunch of :loser:s for neighbours! This is what makes me so glad I live in the country. :goodvibes::fingerscr for the kitties. :sad:

chico2
September 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
OMG Poodletalk,the world is full of heartless jerks:evil:
:pray:that the kittens and mom somehow got away,if there was away out from the hole they were in:fingerscr
It's heartbreaking enough trying to rescue,without having to deal with nasty people:sad:

BenMax
September 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
There is an excellent kitten rescue in Ottawa. Send me the pics and I will find out if they can take them.

This guy only works with feral kittens and cats. He has helped me out once before.

He works out of his house and it is a non profit organization. If we can get him to take them he will require maybe a donation to help with vetting.

His house is immaculate. He had about 15 ferals walking about and others that were in rooms. There was no smell of cat at all! I don't know how he does it but he is amazing.