Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some advice!

babymomma
July 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Okay, So, i know im not getting my puppy until sometime next week buuut, i want to have everything ready for when she comes! So i have some questions.BTW- If some of you don't know, im getting a 12 week old yorkie puppy.

- What size kong do i get? Is a small too small, is a mediam to big? I want to get the purfect size, im afraid if its to small she'll choke on it! :o

-When she gets here how do i introduce her to my home? Cause' i know shes going to be scared (we have a HUGE house).. So do i keep her in a kennel? If so how does that help her get used to my home?

- I know people say rawhides are dangerous, so could she chew them if she was under constant supervision??

- I know this sounds dumb, But what size bowls do i get? Just cause shes a small breed does that mean her dishes need to be small?

- Im getting a doggy Booster seat for in the car, which one do you think is best? I will post links at the bottom of the page!

-I dont know what they are feeding her yet, if i change her food will she get sick?

-HOW DO YOU TRAIN A PUPPY TO 'GO' OUTSIDE???????? ***IMPORTANT***

- How do i crate train a puppy??

- what if she doesnt like me????

- My worst nightmare is getting a puppy, then the person i bought it from wanting it back. Can a breeder just take the puppy back if they changed their minds??

- Can you get dog life insurance, for if you have a car accident? Or if they get terminally ill and you have to pay huge vet bills? It would be nice to have.

- When i move out i want to get a cat, since i dont have one now and she cant be socialized to them, will i ever be able to have a kitty?

Im sure i'll have more questions, i just can't remember anymore now.

Booster seat links- http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755198

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755176

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755291

14+kitties
July 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
- small kong is ok

- just introduce her slowly. She will not take long to be ripping all over the house. Or, she just might stay close to you. Small dogs tend to do that.

- http://www.essortment.com/all/rawhidechew_rbzt.htm

- doesn't matter what size bowls. The food you feed her does matter! Some people like the elevated bowls for their dogs. It makes it easier for the doggies to reach their food.

- No idea

- You can get the same food as they are feeding. In fact a good breeder should send you home with some. If it is crappy food a gradual change over is best to avoid the scoots, runs. Just add the better quality food a small amount at a time to whatever she is eating. Over the course of a couple of weeks increase the good stuff, decrease the bad stuff.

- patience, patience, patience. Take her out after every nap, after every feeding, after every stimulation (play time, meeting new people, etc), after every..... oh heck, about every half hour or so. She is tiny. There will be accidents.

- crate training is easy. Make sure there is only enough room in the crate for her to turn around and lie down/stand up. You do not want extra room so she can go do her business in the back of the crate. She will soon come to realize that is her home when mom can't be there. Don't ues the crate for punishment.

- She will love you

- NO

- Yes, there are lots of pet insurance companies. Just google pet insurance.

- Yes, slow introduction to a cat and she will be fine. If you have friends who have cats expose her to them as often as possible.

jessi76
July 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Okay, So, i know im not getting my puppy until sometime next week buuut, i want to have everything ready for when she comes! So i have some questions.BTW- If some of you don't know, im getting a 12 week old yorkie puppy.

congrats!!

What size kong do i get? Is a small too small, is a mediam to big? I want to get the purfect size, im afraid if its to small she'll choke on it!

get a small PUPPY kong to start. it's softer than a regular adult dog kong.

When she gets here how do i introduce her to my home? Cause' i know shes going to be scared (we have a HUGE house).. So do i keep her in a kennel? If so how does that help her get used to my home?

just go slow, start with one room at a time. always supervise her, but let her explore. don't carry her around. be sure to crawl around on the floor yourself, so you can see what is really at HER level. (remove dangerous stuff)

I know people say rawhides are dangerous, so could she chew them if she was under constant supervision??

no. rawhide can lead to blockage and illness. some can have microscopic bacteria that can make a pup sick. please avoid rawhide. especially for puppies.

I know this sounds dumb, But what size bowls do i get? Just cause shes a small breed does that mean her dishes need to be small?

it's not dumb! i'd get a small ceramic dish to start. see how she likes it! you may need to change later on - stainless steel is also a good choice. plastic is a no no. it can get scrached - which bacteria can live in.

Im getting a doggy Booster seat for in the car, which one do you think is best? I will post links at the bottom of the page!

my friend uses one for her small dog - she loves it! not sure what model she has though.

I dont know what they are feeding her yet, if i change her food will she get sick?

find out the current food, and ask for a small supply when you get the dog. Gradually mix the old food w/ a new QUALITY food for small breed dogs. (see the food forum for suggestions)

How do i crate train a puppy??

try to search this site for crate training, you'll get ALOT of great advice.

what if she doesnt like me????

she will love you as long as you always treat her with kindness, respect, and love.

My worst nightmare is getting a puppy, then the person i bought it from wanting it back. Can a breeder just take the puppy back if they changed their minds??

a good breeder will take the time to correctly place a pup in the right home. if for any reason it's not a good match, then the pup should go back to the breeder. But i've never heard of a breeder taking a dog away - unless of course, it was for good reason. but i'm sure your not one of "those" undesirable owners!!

Can you get dog life insurance, for if you have a car accident? Or if they get terminally ill and you have to pay huge vet bills? It would be nice to have.

you can get dog health insurance. it does help on large vet bills. I don't have it, but I do know people who do use it and like it.

When i move out i want to get a cat, since i dont have one now and she cant be socialized to them, will i ever be able to have a kitty?

of course you will be able to. search the forum here on how to do proper introductions, and realize it takes time for dogs & cats to be "buddies". but it can be done, successfully. I have 1 dog and 2 cats.

welcome, btw! and post pics of the new pup when you get her! hope some of this info helped, i'm sure you'll get ALOT more!

babymomma
July 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you guys soooooo much!!! This helps allooot! I love this forum and everybody on it:cloud9: ... I will definatly be staying away from rawhides! I didnt realize they were that dangerous, i just though tey were a choking hazard? I can't wait to post pictures!! The breeder will be sending me pictures on saturday , so i will post them on here when i get them!! :cool:

:sorry: for taking up everybodys time, you dont know how much i really appreciate it!!

Kahne9Lover
July 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Congrats!!!!!! The BIG day is coming! I felt the same excitement getting my puppy (it had been 4 years since my first "kid" Nikki crossed over the rainbow bridge). You can calm down, you sound like you will be a fabulous mom. :thumbs up Remember, you have to think small, like a yorkie. The kong should be larger then her mouth, but not too big. I would use the kennel, :sleepy:maybe you can put it in your room, and only allow puppy to roam the one room for a few days, and then gradually expand her access. Keep music and tv at low levels, and keep visitors to a minimum until she gets used to the family. Too much excitement makes too much confusion for the little one.:eek: Also, keep from walking in areas frequented by other dogs until all vaccines are done, you never know who has been there or what they may carry.:sick: Don't get any treats just yet, use her kibble (if you are using dry) as training treats until her system gets used to whatever food you will be using. Keep on the same food the breeder is using, gradually adding whatever new diet you choose. I did 100% breeders food for first two weeks, than did 75%/25%, then 50/50 until I was sure Maya could handle the change. Always remember, don't keep feeding just because they keep eating, it could make them very sick to overeat. As with all toys, treats, chews, you should NEVER leave your dog unattended with them. It's like having little kids, as soon as your back is turned...:evil: You should also NEVER leave her collar on if she is kenneled or in a gate enclosed area, the collar can get caught, choking puppy or God Forbid worse. I don't want to scare you with that, but I think you are mature enough to understand. I can't really help with the "potty" training, because I was home with Maya all day and she trained so quickly (like two weeks), I got up every 3 hours at night and was outside so much I probably should have slept out there. With school coming, someone else might have better suggestions for you on how to train when you have a busier schedule. Colby was supposed to be "Not Housebroken", but he had only one accident the first day home, and after that, none. He's such a gem.:angel:

Don't worry SHE WILL LOVE YOU!!!!:pawprint::dog::pawprint:

jessi76
July 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
regarding the booster seat - my friend uses one like the 2nd link you posted, that the dog sits IN. she also uses a seat belt harness (like the 3rd link you posted) with it to keep the dog securely INSIDE the seat. her dog likes it, and it's certainly safer for car trips.

Chaser
July 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think you've gotten a tonne of great advice, so there's no need to add to it. But I just wanted to say congrats on getting your puppy! Also, DON"T WORRY! You clearly have a lot of love to give, and you are putting in 10 times more effort to prepare yourself for her than most people do when they get a dog. You are going to do a great job! :thumbs up

And I think it's normal to feel kind of nervous...I was terrified before I got Chase, and was even really nervous before taking Kailey in. Just try not to worry TOO much, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you and your pup will settle into a routine and things will start feeling much more natural to you.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Lots of good advice for you in this thread, and it's awesome that you're being so thorough about getting a new puppy. I'm just going to post a link to what I consider a really great website on doggy stuff: http://www.dogstardaily.com/ It's put together by Dr. Ian Dunbar, who is a veterinarian with a PhD in animal behaviour, and the founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. You might find tips on issues you haven't even thought of yet!

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Congrats on the new addition. Are you thinking of names for her? I'm sure you will do a great job with her. You are taking the time to educate yourself for her benefit and that is a big part of being a pet parent. It's more than a lot of people do these days so you certainly deserve kudos for that.:thumbs up

babymomma
July 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
thank you all sooo much!! You are all so helpfull!:thumbs up

Thank you sugarcatmom for the link, it was a great help:thumbs up

AG- I am thinking of names.. i am thinking about calling her Keely(sp?) Or Lily..

I would like for everyone to tune in with some name ideas!! thanks!!

-Jessica

14+kitties
July 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Now that I have a few more minutes......... :D

I have a toy poodle who is 14 years old. Up until she was 8 she didn't share her house with anyone but another dog. A Shephard/Collie mix who adopted the toy as hers. At 8 I moved and she was introduced to a Labx who she instantly put in her place! She was having none of it! Gradually over the years we would let them try to get closer. Nope, no luck. Finally, in December of last year, we started bringing my kitties into the house to recoup from their neuturing operations. She had no choice then to accept the fact that their were intruders in HER house. There was a never ending supply of kittens in the house for quite some time. As one group went out after recovery new ones came in to get fixed and recoup.
Then I had a feral cat I managed to catch shortly before she had a litter of kitties. I moved them into the house to give the kittens a better chance. So she then had a momma kitty and 3 kittens plus one I had moved in to be a house cat. At the moment I have 6 kittens ranging from 3 months to one year old. They now share the same plate at dinner time with my food.
Long story short, it is possible at any time to introduce cats to dogs. It just takes patience.
And you can never bother us by asking questions. That is what this forum is for. We appreciate the fact that you are doing everything you can to educate yourself before you get your pup. So many don't. You are a great kid!! :highfive: Good luck!!

babymomma
July 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Now that I have a few more minutes......... :D

I have a toy poodle who is 14 years old. Up until she was 8 she didn't share her house with anyone but another dog. A Shephard/Collie mix who adopted the toy as hers. At 8 I moved and she was introduced to a Labx who she instantly put in her place! She was having none of it! Gradually over the years we would let them try to get closer. Nope, no luck. Finally, in December of last year, we started bringing my kitties into the house to recoup from their neuturing operations. She had no choice then to accept the fact that their were intruders in HER house. There was a never ending supply of kittens in the house for quite some time. As one group went out after recovery new ones came in to get fixed and recoup.
Then I had a feral cat I managed to catch shortly before she had a litter of kitties. I moved them into the house to give the kittens a better chance. So she then had a momma kitty and 3 kittens plus one I had moved in to be a house cat. At the moment I have 6 kittens ranging from 3 months to one year old. They now share the same plate at dinner time with my food.
Long story short, it is possible at any time to introduce cats to dogs. It just takes patience.Thank you for sharing! Hopefully i have pateince enough to introduce her to kittys when i move out!! BTW- You are an angel for rescuing the little angels!!
And you can never bother us by asking questions. That is what this forum is for. We appreciate the fact that you are doing everything you can to educate yourself before you get your pup. So many don't. You are a great kid!!hehe, tanks:o :highfive: Good luck!!

Thank you so much. All you guys are AMAZING!!