Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bullmastiff aggression-muzzles

sammyw
July 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hi there...my 2 year old Bullmastiff has aggression problems when it comes to some small dogs...if they are running past him and I am not in control of him, i.e. he is on a long lead with me not around, he will try and grab them...and has before...we are at the point where he has to be muzzled when out for a walk because I'm afraid if a small dog were loose and came over I couldn't trust him...
So I've purchased a few muzzles but need some advice on what are the best to use with a bullmastiff..the basket type seems to be okay but i'm not sure I got the right size...it seems very tight around his neck and there is not much room in there at all...

Anyone out there have a bullmastiff with similar issues?? Or do you have a good muzzle and could tell me where you purchased it etc?

luckypenny
July 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
If your dog has aggression issues, I don't think he should be tied up outside, unsupervised - ever.

If it's only small dogs he's aggressive towards, it may just be he has a high prey drive. He needs training. Have you ever considered a trainer/behaviorist? I would highly recommend it in your case.

You should bring your dog with you when buying a muzzle to insure it's properly fitted.

JanM
July 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I would add a word of caution - if he is aggressive to small dogs right now you should be aware that it could - and probably will - escalate to all dogs - regardless of size. A dog behaviourist would be my suggestion to help your dog realize that he doesn't need to do this.

Chaser
July 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM
If your dog is this much of a threat to small dogs I think it would be best to make sure he is NEVER on a long lead or any other situation where you are not in control of him. I'd also find a good trainer.

Purpledomino
July 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It is very important that Bullmastiffs are socialized at an early age. Since yours is two, I agree with the other posters that a good trainer is necessary, and NEVER leave him alone or out of your control. A littermate of my Bullmastiff was put down by my vet for aggression issues, and she actually had killed a poodle. These are big strong animals, and you MUST have control of them at all times. Another thing...is your boy neutered? I recommend altering him if he isn't already...a full grown intact Bullmastiff would be a handful for anyone, especially one that is hell bent on getting after another dog. I trust my two year old Bullmastiff in a dog park 100%...he has been socialized with all sizes of dogs (loves my Minpins!)...so it is possible. Good luck, and I would LOVE to see pictures! :D

kigndano
July 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
yea

i agree.

dont have him in a situation where he could be a threat, like on a long lead on walks.

save free time for a nice secure area or eliminate it if you cant afford a trainer (like me...im broke and stuff)

that or find a few friends with small dogs and introduce him to them while he is muzzled and under your control....thats the best advice i can offer.