Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog will not go outside

cowbeverly
July 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
We adopted our Beagle about 3 months ago. We soon discovered that he is deathly afraid of the backyard. Two problems, one he cannot tell us he needs to go to the bathroom since he will not get near the backdoor. Second he just does not seem to get over his fear of the backyard. He will not go near the door we take him out on a leash. He will sometimes run around a little bit, then he remembers he hates the backyard and just sits next to me shaking.

Has anyone else has the same problems? Should I just keep on taking him out, be positive, and hope one day he will come around?

Jennifer

luckypenny
July 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
How old is your dog?

Perhaps, in his previous life, he was kept outside and had bad experiences as a result? Are you sure it's the backyard he's afraid of? Or perhaps just passing through the doorway? Maybe there's something in your yard he's associating negatively?

If at all possible, are you able to get more background information on him?

cowbeverly
July 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hitch is 2. He was a stray, they found him in OH, they assume he was a hunting dog. So I have no history on him. He has been with us while we have visited friends and he appears to just not like the backyard much at anyones house. He does not seem to like the BBQ either. So we moved it so he could not see it and he is still scared to go out.

He has made a little progress. He will pee outside now, but we need to walk out with him and he goes and runs back in the house. But you might have a point about the door too, he will not get near the door.

I just wanted to make sure were doing the right thing. We are just working with him everyday, bringing him out. We try to get his mind of what is bothering him, then go back inside when he is someone calm. I am just hoping he will snap out of it.

Jennifer

luckypenny
July 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Will he cross the threshold if no one is standing near the door? For some odd reason, one of our dogs will not go out if someone is standing right by the door either. Over time, he's alright with me being there, but not with others, especially 'visitors.'

Are there stairs right outside the door? He can also be afraid of that too :shrug: .

If you carefully observe him while you're both out, you'll probably get some insight as to what might be making him anxious. Once you think you have it figured out, just re-condition him to associate the objects/situations causing his fear with nothing but positive experiences. Lots and lots of yummy treats for these occasions only (don't feed these high-value treats at any other times). Whatever motivates him, use it at these times.

kigndano
July 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
well since beagles are tracking dogs, you should try to get him tracking a scent that, oddly enough, will lead him into the backyard and to a lof ot great food and toys.

if you can get him to track stuff that is.

and if you can, just do it over and over again.

my dog was afraid of laminate floors, so i made him lay down on one and threw pieces of deli meat all over it and then he walked around and ate all the food.

he got over it pretty fast.

bendyfoot
July 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
OUr dog was deathly afraid of the outdoors when we got her at 3 months old. She would cower and shake and refuse to potty. What helped us was our other, older dog. Does your beagle like other dogs and do you know a nice, older dog who would play with him and show him the ropes? Jaida started relaxing outside when she saw Gracie running and playing. We kept her outside time short, light, and happy, until she was comfy. It took a few weeks.

t.pettet
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
One of my fosters would cringe when outside and stick to the door shaking and shivering. One day I set out a blanket and sat on the blanket pretending to ignore her by reading and within 20 minutes she had conjured up enough courage to come over. I praised, petted her, gave her a treat and she kept going back and forth from the door to the blanket eventually staying near me for longer periods. Our first day's session lasted an hour and everyday for 2 weeks we kept up this routine. She finally over-came her fear and would wander around the yard but frequently checking she wasn't alone. She never was completely comfortable for more than 1/2 hr. on her own outside but was confident enough to go potty or lie on the verandah with a chew bone for that period of time. It takes alot of patience, persistence and the ability to not give-in to their insecurities by babying or showing your own trepidation. Be strong, think positively and he will pick-up on your brave vibes.