Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Kitten Cough! hairball or worse? Dr. Lee?

Oreo's Mom
July 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi all, I just adopted Oreo 7/21 from a shelter, he is ~ 8 wks, he is a total sweetheart. They told me to watch out for signs of URI, and Day 3 today he has had about 3 coughing/wheezing episodes, he crouches down and seems to spasm with each wheeze. At first I was nervous he was choking or having trouble breathing but after a minute of that he bounces around the room like usual. When we cuddle it seems like he is congested, a little rattly breathing through his nose, so I suspected he might have a little something from the shelter, but should I be worried about the wheezing? My roommate seems to think it sounded like a hairball but he doesn't seem to shed yet unless he swallowed some fabric from his toys. He has vet appointment mon 7/28, should he go earlier? No other symptoms, eats like a little pig, uses the litter box, still seems lively and playful.

krdahmer
July 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I would see if you can get him in earlier... if it is a Resp. Infection kittens can get very sick very fast. Hopefully it's just the sniffles or a hairball but it's always better safe than sorry! Maybe your vet has cancellations and you can get in before the weekend.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition!:goodvibes:

RUSTYcat
July 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I agree totally with krdahmer - and for those precise reasons. Frankly, it can be shocking to see how quickly kittens can deteriorate. Better for your wallet/purse too - a daytime appointment will take less from there than a nighttime emerg visit. And....trust me, having regrets is not something I'd wish on anyone.

If my Vet doesn't have any formal appointments left in a given day, I am able to just drop off a cat in the AM, then at some free time through the day he will get examined....maybe inquire about that.

Love4himies
July 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I agree with Rustycat and krdahmer, I foster kittens and they can go downhill very, very quickly. I don't think this should wait another day.